“Not a Hipster Restaurant, but that's Ok”

Malara's Italian Restaurant
Ranked #123 of 1,467 Restaurants in Omaha
Cuisines: Italian
Reviewed 4 February 2018

I have eaten here on a number of occasions over the past twenty years. My recent visit was at the end of by evening run when I stopped for a dozen cannoli. The menu has all the traditional selections, but this night was only for a take out order of dessert. The cannoli are quite good.

1  Thank rconces

Reviewed 15 December 2017

I remember when Malara's only had 3 or 4 tables and a bakery case. As it's expanded, the quality of the product has always kept pace until my most recent visit. The seating process was slow and disorganized on a Wednesday evening. And service was slow and not friendly, provided by one of the granddaughters in the Malara family. I ordered the fettucini al fredo with chicken. Some of the noodles were dry along the edges of the plate and it was luke-warm at best. And instead of finding pieces of chicken breast folded in with the noodles, there was a piece of their fried chicken sitting atop the noodles, also luke-warm. My 2 dining companions were pleased with their choices, lasagna and veal parmesan. The wine they ordered never appeared. Overall, a disappointing dining experience. But also most unusual...so one bad experience out of 25 years is not going to prevent my returning again. We all have "off days"...perhaps that was one of those for the restaurant...or our server.

Reviewed 11 November 2017

This place is a little hole in the wall that delivers big surprises! Right smack dab in the middle of a residential neighborhood, when you walk in I was apprehensive, but the inside is a classic décor of an old school South Omaha Italian restaurant, and the people who work there are dedicated to great service and making sure everything is ok. I had the lasagna--which comes with house salad &fresh warm dinner rolls & I probably should have eaten half of it, but my inner fat kid kept saying "more, more, more"!
Great food, if you brought a date, I think the atmosphere would be romantic, and fantastic service make this place a great place to bring family and friends.
PS--my inner fat kid also ate a piece of cheesecake just for good measure!

Reviewed 29 October 2017

This is the real deal! Homemade pasta dishes at a very reasonable price. Braciole! Homemade rolls. Homemade Italian salad dressing. Old school Italian decor. Very nice waitress. Additional servers keeping water glasses full and clearing plates. Wine by the half carafe was an excellent value. Small old building in an old residential neighborhood. Service was not speedy, but was a lovely environment in which to enjoy a leisurely meal.

Reviewed 15 October 2017 via mobile

It's Homecoming weekend at PLHS, and our girls' choice was Milara's for dinner. The parents couldn't pass up the opportunity for a great time, so we sat in a different section and really enjoyed the company. Highly recommend the veal parmesan. But first, you must have the fried ravioli. Everything on the menu is top notch. Looking forward to our next night out.

Been to Malara's Italian Restaurant? Share your experiences!