“Great ambiance and food too!”

V. Mertz Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
V. Mertz Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #33 of 1,378 Restaurants in Omaha
Price range: US$31 - US$60
Cuisines: American, Mediterranean, Contemporary
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 11th Street
Reviewed 23 August 2016

Hidden away in the basement of the Old Market Passageway which makes it very interesting to just visit. But then the food is superb. I have been to v. Mertz several times in the last 3 or 4 years and the service and food have never disappointed. They also have a full service bar and a large wine collection. Children not welcome. Forgot to mention they have a tasting menu and Sommeliers.

Reviewed 4 August 2016

Slight decline in quality from prior visits. Either the waiter of the chef eliminated the small plates served between plates which was a fine touch.

The chef did an excellent job on the various vegetables.

The steak was slightly smaller and a little tougher than the last meal.

The roll was still cold on the bottom indicating that this was a reheat of frozen goods.

Still very good but off slightly from prior visits.

Reviewed 19 July 2016

An intimate restaurant that takes pride in using fresh, local foods as much as possible. If not local, they try to source high-quality and tasty ingredients.

We love this for a special occasion.

Reviewed 2 July 2016

We have been attempting to dine at V. Mertz for over 3 years. It is far from our home, and not open on Sunday nights, making it somewhat of a challenge to secure a reservation with our long distance parameters in the mix. At long last, we dined there this weekend and made our reservation for when the restaurant opened at 5:30. The hostess pushed me during our phone conversation to make a reservation for 5:30. When we arrived, there was one other couple, and things didn't really pick up steam until well after 6 p.m. So, I am not sure why there was pressure. This restaurant does not have dedicated parking (budget time to walk!) and it can be a bit tricky to locate as noted by other reviewers.

The ambiance includes tea light lit tables and black napkins (a huge plus in my book!). However, the location of the restaurant is along a passageway of other shops, and the kids yelling at their parents and running along the hallway was a detractor. The restaurant is open to the inside passage, so there is no "noise filter."

Our server was outstanding. He had just passed his Level II sommelier exam and I have no doubt he will be in the 3% who pass the Level IV exam some day! He was incredibly helpful (and patient) in assisting me in selecting a wine. He was also very knowledgeable about the menu options, and had a warm, genuine personality.

Our one complaint was the menu-it was very limited in selection. For a giant wine list, I would have anticipated a larger wine-by-the-glass selection, the offerings a disappointment. There was not even the "usual suspects" (e.g. no straight cabernet).

We opted for the swordfish "fish and chips" appetizer. This is a cream-cheese based dip with swordfish, olive oil and served with potato chips. THESE DO NOT GO TOGETHER! The dip is thick and the chips broke if you attempted to apply the dip to the chip. Secondly, these were "mini" size chips, and while tasty, not conducive to spreading or scooping a thick dip. Most were in pieces, again, a deterrent to success. We also found them greasy, and with swordfish and cream cheese, the whole amalgamation was too greasy in our book. The flavor of the dip was very good and we used bread from our cheese plate for the dip.

I have a big gripe about the cheese plate. We ordered brie, and only selected one cheese (at $6/cheese) because we wanted to sample a variety of menu items. There was literally ONE small slice of brie we had to cut in half. The plate included a dollop of onion jam (extremely strong flavor), bread and butter pickles (an odd addition with brie), and sugared pecans, which did nicely compliment the brie.

We felt the server could have given us some direction on the cheese plate. He knew we were sharing things so we could sample a variety of items and there was obviously barely enough cheese for one person, certainly not enough for my husband! And, one meager slice just seems skimpy for a restaurant of this caliber.

I had the beet salad as my entree. I have had many similar combinations of beets, goat cheese and strawberries. In this particular rendition, the strawberries were "lost" and overpowered by the beets. I also found the goat cheese flavor was overwhelmed as well. I did not care for one of the predominant beet varietals in the salad, a personal preference, but had the menu stated it was a variety of beets, I may have asked questions and made an alternate selection.

My husband had the tilefish. He said the fish itself was excellent and we both liked the pistachio chutney, giving it a two thumbs up. The accompanying vegetables (approximately 4 pieces) were more of a garnish than a side. Just giving this tip to others who might be picturing a side versus decorative.

We were underwhelmed by the dessert options. My husband tried the pistachio cake with elderflower foam and "smoked" vanilla ice cream. The cake was very dry. The "foam" was more of a cream and reflected a taste of honey. My husband said he didn't mean to have an unrefined palate, but, the ice cream tasted like plain vanilla ice cream to him, and he couldn't identify the "smoky" flavor.

Overall, we thought our server was top notch but for a $100+ dinner for two, this would not be our "go to" place. Frankly, we aren't sure what we missed compared to other reviews, but we just didn't leave feeling we had had a "transformative" epicurean experience.

2  Thank wendy S
Reviewed 24 June 2016

I was recently in Omaha for a short period and promptly made reservations here as I used to frequent this restaurant when I lived here. The meal, service, ambiance, and overall experience were as outstanding as I remembered. I ordered the pepper steak prepared medium, and it was perfect. When in Omaha, do not miss out on a dinner at V. Mertz!