“Not Great!”

El Rancho
Ranked #367 of 1,377 Restaurants in Omaha
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed 28 January 2017

I actually tried this restaurant with a friend because we were loyal followers of another South O Mexican haunt that we stopped going to after a health department issue. So, we have been trying to find a new Mexican restaurant and El Rancho was rated well on Yelp, so we tried it. I was very disappointed overall. The beer was cold and the margarita was excellent, and that was the best I can say. I had the green enchilada dinner plate and my friend had tacos and flautas. The flautas were not bad, but the enchiladas were not well seasoned, there was too much green chile and the beans and rice has a bad aftertaste, like the were old or not stored well. Though the chips and salsa plate was decent, there is nothing that tells you was each salsa was and one was a almost a fluorescent blue/green color with a weird texture. So, even though the salsa plate was fine, there were a couple we wasted and didn't try because there is nothing explaining what each dip was or it's contents. For two beers and a $6.99 dinner plate, my bill was also $20 which seemed high. However, you couldn't determine cost because the bill was handwritten carbon that had no outline of prices. So, for a meal that was less than great, we paid a high price. This location used to be the Wooden Nickel - where I loved the pizza as a kid, I cannot say the same for this predecessor. I'm doubtful this will be our next Friday hot spot, in fact, I'm doubtful I will return.

1  Thank Aryn B

Reviewed 27 October 2016

Nothing fancy here but it is good standard reliable mexican food. It is authentic and portions are like at moms house.

Reviewed 20 July 2016

This place is OK. Nothing special. There are lots of Mex places around the area. This is one of them.

Reviewed 9 July 2016 via mobile

Diamond in the ruff, authentic mexican, well worth the trip off the main drag! My 10 year old thought it was the best mexican he's ever had. Don't let the bars on the windows scare you off, the inside is clean and everyone is very friendly. Prices are very reasonable too.

Reviewed 20 April 2016

On our way home from the airport decided to try a new Mexican place...wow were we in for an awesome surprise. Clean restaurant, nice servers. I LOVED the salsa platter that came for FREE...what an fun and delicious treat. I had the green enchiladas in chicken and my fiancé had 3 tacos...beef, chicken, and pork. I loved mine and he said his were fantastic. Reasonable prices, and just love that they brought fresh limes and radishes with our meal...can't wait to return!

Been to El Rancho? Share your experiences!