See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 13 May 2017 via mobile

I come from castelli romani but since 10 years I have lived abroad Italy. I always come back here when I go to my own place. Hotel is simply nice in a relaxing place. I strongly suggest tourist coming in Rome for one week to stop here and spend 2 days in castelli romani. Needless to say that restaurant around the here are amazing

Stayed: June 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 September 2016

We stayed here for the last few days of our honeymoon in August 2014. I can't put into words how special this place was to us. We had just spent 6 days exploring Rome City, so we were tired and in need of a relax before we went home. As soon as we arrived we realised we had made the right choice - it was so peaceful and quiet, and if we wanted to just sit and look out over the lake with a bottle of wine without noises and traffic, we could do just that. The other guests kept a respectable volume too, as it was a nice, quiet part of the lake.

There are two terraces over two levels, the one above is perfect for meals and a drink and is covered in a leafy canape, and the one below is ideal for a sunbathe on their loungers. There is also a small staircase leading down to a very crisp and clear part of the lake where we went for a dip, which was bliss.

Walking away from the hotel and towards the other side of the lake will take around 20 minutes, where there is a number of restaurants that overlook the lake, as well as a beach (not quite white sands, it's a bit pebble-y but still nice) where you can hire boats and canoes. There is also a souvenir market that only opens at certain times of the day. There isn't really a convenience shop or anything like that, but if you want bottled water, the hotel's price is very reasonable.
We ordered quite a few things over the few days we were there, such as wine, bottled mineral water, coca colas, etc, and when we got the bill for these extras at the end of our stay were were surprised by how reasonable the prices were.
The room was very clean and well maintained.

The owner Georgio is one of the nicest people we have ever met, he couldn't do enough for us to make sure we were comfortable and enjoying ourselves. He even gave my husband one of his razors when he'd run out!
Before we left he also gave us a bottle of local wine as a honeymoon gift which we were touched by.

Thank you Georgio for making it so special for us both, we will treasure the memory of our honeymoon here forever :)

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank KatherynD6
Reviewed 16 August 2016

I spent a fantastic week at this hotel in August 2016. This hotel is beyond tranquil. The views are stunning. The gardens are beautiful, peaceful and secluded. There is a private sunbathing area with beds down near the lake, and private steps down to the lake if you fancy getting in. The staff are preposterously nice. Whether on the veranda having a beer at 2am or breakfast at 10am it's superb. And I'm sure at 2am when I returned and asked for another beer I was just a delight - and yet the staff could not have done more for us.

Felt very safe - main gate to the hotel is always closed, and there is someone there 24 hours to let you in at any time of the day or night.

The rooms are very basic and aged, so if you like high-end rooms to spend your time in, then this is perhaps not for you. Though why you would want to stay in your room when surrounded by the lake, views and countryside I do not know. The rooms are extremely clean and have excellent air-conditioning. It's a very quiet hotel, so don't expect a bustling bar. Lunch or dinner must be ordered the previous day. But you can walk along the lake for 10 or 15 minutes and there are plenty of restaurants.

(ok, ok..... sometimes it was 4am (probably) that I was returning... they still gave me that beer!)

Stayed: August 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 July 2016

First, if you're ever traveling Ciampino Airport, I would strongly encourage you to ditch Rome for a day to stay in Castel Gandolfo. It's such a beautiful lake community with tons of great restaurants and friendly people. Second, if you do decide to stay in Castel Gandolfo, stay on the water at a beautiful place like Hotel la Culla del Lago.

Here are some pros and cons:

Pros
- Gorgeous older hotel run by a multigenerational family team. Charming.
- Beautiful rooms with great views of the lake. Some rooms have little balconies. The A/C works really well. Nice sized rooms. Very clean.
- The entire property is covered in flowers and greenery.
- The water of Castel Gandolfo is a crystal clear blue in the summer. It's a great place to swin. Hotel la Culla del Lago has a set of stairs that leads down to the lake.
- They welcomed us with a couple of glasses of wine. We sat by the lake and enjoyed the view. It was great.

Cons
- Beds are a little stiff. That's really the only complaint. This place really is a gem.

Overall, we would definitely stay at Hotel la Culla del Lago again. In fact, we would go out of our way to stay here. It's really nice and the family running the place is lovely.

Room Tip: Pick a room with a view of the lake. It's worth it.
  • Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 June 2016

Well only two words describe this place "never go"
"Yes" on check in the owner was very charming, the night porter equally helpful, the lady at breakfast, very charming and very efficient, the house has not been updated, exterior cleaned, carpet replaced, furnishings re furbished, Windows cleaned, outside plastic loungers wiped or even washed, for at least 50 years, that is not a joke. It is a long way out of the main town, which is delightful.

Room Tip: Do not go!
  • Stayed: June 2016, travelled as a couple