“A taste of history”
Review of Mary Prentiss Inn

Mary Prentiss Inn
Ranked #1 of 20 Cambridge B&B and Inns
Reviewed 28 July 2017

We spent 2 nights at the Mary Prentiss and it was a refreshing step into history. Even the aroma drifting up the staircase (be sure you can haul your bags up 3 flights if you're on the top floor) reminded me of reading Jane Austen in my grandmother's house. Consistent with the theme, our room was small and had nice furniture styled after previous centuries. The free wifi worked just fine.

The breakfast is terrific, with a tasty oatmeal+yogurt choice for those not into bacon and eggs, and coffee, tea and cookies are set out every afternoon. The outdoor seating was particularly nice--only trees are visible although we're in the city. To avoid overcrowding they ask you to sign up the night before for the 8, 9, or 10am breakfast. Nice touch.

We found the location to be particularly good--it is just north of the bustle of Harvard Square but still only a 5-minute walk away. And of course there are plenty of good restaurants nearby--we enjoyed Cambridge Common 3 blocks south. Another huge amenity is the free parking--the underground lot can be a bit tricky to navigate but a it's lifesaver when you have a car.

This is deservedly a very popular establishment, so be sure to book early. We will return.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Mary Prentiss Inn

Reviewed 22 July 2017

I stayed at the MPI for one night, alas, as I would have enjoyed more time. I was in town for a conference (at Lesley U, just a few blocks away) and so the Inn was just a respite in between sessions. I stayed in an attic room, and I agree with other reviewers about the quality of linens, the design of the rooms (such inventive use of pattern!), the full breakfast (silver dollar pancakes- yum), the peaceful outdoor patio, where I spent the afternoon reading, and the overall atmosphere. I did find that I had to make an effort to engage with the reception staff, but that is a minor issue. I will return again soon!

Room Tip: Make sure that if you book an attic room, you inquire about the shower- hard to use due to the eaves...
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 July 2017

In town with my daughter for college visits--nicely situated right in the middle between MIT and Harvard--an easy walk to the Portman Square T stop. We had a wonderful stay here! Absolutely beautiful inn, with wonderful, welcoming touches. Our room was fabulous--spacious, clean, and beautifully decorated, with exceptionally soft linens (and a jacuzzi tub, which was especially nice after a long day of touring schools). Every staff member we met was gracious, friendly, and super helpful. Wonderful (free!) full breakfast, and we also enjoyed the complimentary tea & treats in the afternoon. The free breakfast and free parking made this a true value. A gem of a hotel, and we will definitely be back to stay next time we're in Cambridge.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 June 2017

The fact that we were able to procure a room was a minor miracle. The MPI is quite popular. If you want to stay there make your reservation early. The staff is quite accommodating and affable. The breakfast is varied and quite good. Our room this time was well appointed and well kept by the housekeeping staff. Though it is right off Mass. Ave. it is far enough away from the hustle and bustle to provide a quiet night's sleep. Restaurants abound within walking distance; it's proximity to Porter Square means it's easy to get to from the airport. And a short walk to Porter Square gets you to a panoply of eateries and destinations via The T. Stay here! You won't regret it.

Room Tip: Check the website. The room descriptions are quite accurate.
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 May 2017

A horrible experience. The jacuzzi worked noisily on it own without anyone starting it. The wifi worked in bouts of minutes. Mostly it didn't. The person at the reception in the evening was rude and every complaint was answered with "We never had this problem before. It maybe your fault." The "full" breakfast consisted of bread and bacon. Too much money to throw on bad service.

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled with family
2  Thank Dan G
MaryPrentissInn, Manager at Mary Prentiss Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 25 May 2017

Dear Dan, Thank you for your review. I am very surprised to hear that you did not enjoy your stay with us as you remained with us for 2 more nights after you posted your review. I was also unaware that you were unhappy with your breakfast. During your stay, we served eggs benedict, blueberry pancakes, French toast, scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, homemade granola, fresh fruit, 2 kinds of yogurt, oatmeal, croissants, scones, muffins and a coffee and tea bar. We would have happily accommodated you had we known you were disappointed with all of these choices.

As for the Jacuzzi, my staff was happy to fix the problem immediately after your wife informed us that you had taken a bath. I apologize if the signage about the Jacuzzi’s purge cycle was a bit confusing for you but I’m glad my staff was able to have it fixed for you when you returned from dinner.

Thanks again for your review. We truly value our guest’s feedback.