“Great Local Representation”
Review of Shagbark

Shagbark
Ranked #9 of 1,859 Restaurants in Richmond
Reviewed 27 February 2018 via mobile

Came to Richmond on a college visit and visited Shagbark looking for something that represented the local fine dining opportunities, I think we did well. I had the seafood stew which was cooked perfectly, our son had the short rib which was melt in your mouth tender and my wife had the duck, also perfect. Love the decor, especially the the Shagbark wood and art. Great restaurant.

Reviewed 19 February 2018

The menu boasts local produce and does change on a regular basis. On the night we visited the Boneless Short Ribs and the Clam and Seafood Stew from the main menu were outstanding. From the specials menu the Rockfish was also extremely good. However the Duck Breast however was very pink and if you don’t like very pink duck breast, not suit you.
The atmosphere was very good with a clean and open for sod and very The wait staff were very friendly and knowledgeable and the manager was involved quietly overseeing everything in the background and occasionally helping out.
The wine list is very comprehensive with a wide selection of wines from both America and Europe. Sadly no house wine, so the wines by the glass are a bit on the expensive side.

Reviewed 19 February 2018 via mobile

This place is outstanding! Great interior design, superior service and menu selection is awesome! Something for everyone! Gotta try the appetizer with the crab meat and bacon! It will send your mouth into orbit. The servings are large and well worth the money. Bartenders do a great job and do a great presentation, a must considering the presentation the chef does with each plate. A must visit and I will return.

Reviewed 1 February 2018

What a great addition to the Libbie Mill area! Living in Short Pump, it is so nice to be able to go to a local, contemporary restaurant without having to travel to the Fan or downtown! The former chef from Lemaire and the former head bartender from Heritage (we LOVE Mattias!) together created a fantastic dining experience. They do not mind creating drinks on the fly based on your preferences, which is always a bonus (especially when they are able to do it well!). It has quickly become one of our favorite restaurants in Richmond. The service is excellent and the decor is beautiful, creative, and bright. Some people may not appreciate a brighter dinner setting but it works for the space. There is a long communal table up front which is great for large parties and the private room is perfect for small parties or dinner meetings.

The menu is extensive and heavy on seafood made with fresh and local ingredients. We have tried quite a few dishes but standouts were the swordfish (not a fish we would typically order), halibut, and chocolate bread pudding. There is a separate menu for daily specials making it that much harder to choose! I would prefer there only be a couple of specials so it is not as overwhelming but fortunately, no matter what we have ordered, they did an excellent job. The dishes are all presented on uniquely shaped white dishes and creatively plated. It is a great place to go on a date or with a group of friends. It is a bit pricey but absolutely worth a visit (or more!). I have heard great things about their brunch … I just wish Shagbark offered it year round!

Date of visit: October 2017
Reviewed 1 February 2018 via mobile

To start this restaurant is very sexy. The decor is very modern mixed with a little industrial and a sprinkled with a touch of lodge. With live-edge wood panals separating rooms, private dining rooms and attention to detail makes your eyes wonder to discover another interesting detail. I was anxious anticipating the amazing food to come.

It was my birthday night and a night of first. My first time having clams, which were amazing with an fresh bright salsa verde. My first time having venison that was tender and succulent. I've been chasing a Cod dish that tasted as good as I had in Paris and I found it. The Cod was firm but moist above a bed of what I believe was hand-cut pasta, the sauce was what memories are made of. It was accompanied with roasted cauliflower and plump shrimp. I also had the burrata salad with micro greens and segments of orange, perfectly dressed. The staff was very attentive and we didnt want for anything. This was the perfect place to celebrate my birthday.

Date of visit: February 2018

Been to Shagbark? Share your experiences!