“Worth going out of your way for this BBQ!”
Review of Virginia Barbecue

Virginia Barbecue
Ranked #551 of 1,640 Restaurants in Richmond
Reviewed 12 September 2017

We discovered this Virginia BBQ several years ago when traveling through Richmond, and had also visited a now-closed location near our former home in NE Ohio several times. Driving around Richmond on our way to our new South Carolina home this time, we decided to veer off the interstate and make the trek across town to Midlothian to eat this great BBQ again.

We ordered a pulled pork platter (to share) and three sides: green beans, potato salad and coleslaw. Portions are plentiful; the platter also came with some spectacular mini sweet corn muffins. (I could make a meal of those alone.) We ordered the Virginia-style BBQ, but North Carolina-style BBQ is also available.

The pork was wonderful(we used the sweet BBQ sauce) and the sides were delicious as well. The potato salad is made with roasted potatoes, and after our first visit years ago, I started making potato salad that way at home.

The service was fast and friendly. It was a real treat to visit here again and we'll surely come back whenever we're in the Richmond area.

Reviewed 10 July 2017

BBQ was great we had the Virginia BBQ but they also had North Carolina BBQ sides were good and you leave very full.

Reviewed 10 September 2016

Where do I start? The BBQ, both Virginian and North Carolina style is absolutely delicious. And their baked beans are fantastic,too. One of my now favorite places for a great tasting BBQ lunch or dinner.

Reviewed 6 August 2016

It has been a couple of years since I first tried them and based on other reviews and their own website I thought I would try them again and see if I could upgrade my review of them but, alas, no. They are still just average. The sides are a little lacking in flavor and the brisket was a little disappointing. Don't get me wrong, this is good solid food at a reasonable price, it's just not great. The brisket was okay it just didn't have a lot of smoke flavor. I judge Q shacks on their brisket because it's the hardest meat to do right and theirs just won't make me come back. The service was very friendly and fast however and so if you want average Q quickly and reasonably priced give them a try.

Reviewed 6 July 2016 via mobile

Stopped here for dinner in the way through the state. Brisket was awesome as well as pulled pork. The guys working the place weren't real friendly, but the food was exceptional. It's a small place so we dined in a shed out back. Would definitely return.