“Worth the wait !”

Cuisines: Italian, Seafood
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

My introduction to Edo’s was less than favorable. We went with friends who raved about their experiences there and they had called ahead for reservations at this always popular spot. Despite arriving on time, we waited over half an hour around the tiny crowded entrance - the bar too was 100 per cent packed.

When we were ultimately seated my experiences underwent a 180 degree change as our server was as pleasant and gracious as the over stressed hostess was not.

What followed were a series of excellent to exceptional courses prepared and served promptly and professionally- each of the pastas, evening blackboard specials and seafood, including whole roasted fish, were delicious. Note , the portions were uniformly generous and despite serious sharing, we still left with lunch for the next day.

Worth the wait beyond any doubt!!

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

When for work during a stay in Richmond. Note that you have to walk up about 15 steps to enter which feels like your going to a shady apartment. However what awaits you is quite good. We got there early on a Tuesday so seating was not a problem. However, by 6:30-7 there were people standing and waiting to be seated.

They have a full bar and I started with a Knob Creek Manhattan. That was followed by one of the house reds available by the glass. We shared starters including fried oysters, mussels, and the braised fennel. Surprisingly the fennel was the best of the bunch. I could have used a dipping sauce for the oysters but they were still good. The mussels were also good.

I went with a special off the hand written flip charts on the wall. Specifically the spaghetti with crab meat. The menu has a progressive pasta menu where you pick your pasta then sauce at different price points. I was between the crab/spaghetti, monkfish, and spaghetti with clam sauce. The waiter recommended the spaghetti w crab meat which was great. I large portion and the crab meat and tomato sauce was fantastic.

Overall it is a casual but sophisticated atmosphere. Very popular so think about a reservation almost any day of the week. I was told this is one of a few restaurants from the same ownership group which includes mama zu's which I have been to. I preferred Edo's.

The server was great and attentive and provided recommendations. He was only slightly absent when a wine refill was needed but overall he was great.

Reviewed 8 October 2017

Excellent food, well-prepared, and in a kind of bizarre location which only serves to make the experience better. Service can be slow, but the place is always packed and the servers are clearly doing their jobs thoroughly.

Reviewed 14 September 2017

Squid is in the restaurant's name and they deliver on the calamari and anything else with seafood. The fried squid is superb, with the batter excellently seasoned and the squid portions fried to perfection. They recommend trying it alone, without any dipping sauce, and it is great all by itself, but a side of the chunky marinara also hits the spot. One of my long-time faves is the clams with white sauce. Generous portions of fresh clams in a bowl with loads of olive oil, perfect seasoning and garlic (enough to keep you vampire proof for 48 hours), keep this dish on my repeat list. The salads are superb and the daily specials, written on the flip charts on the wall rarely, if ever disappoint. Prices are good, too. The only knock is the neighborhood and the construction and tough parking. But, it's everything you want in a great hole-in-the-wall restaurant.

Reviewed 24 August 2017 via mobile

Sarah's list of favorites for lunch. Her Mom and I had the seafood specials. Parking are little difficult with the construction around. Not too busy at 12:30 but reservations recommended.