“A Pleasantly Surprising Dining Experience”
Review of Edo's Squid

Edo's Squid
Ranked #60 of 1,763 Restaurants in Richmond
Price range: US$15 - US$30
Cuisines: Italian, Seafood
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 16 July 2018 via mobile

Family visited Richmond for a mini reunion and had to find a nice place to have lunch. Saw a photo of the family style spread in a Richmond online magazine which featured 25 best restaurants. Edo’s squid didn’t disappoint.

The entrance to the restaurant looked more like an old set of stairs going up an old apartment building. Frankly, we hesitated at first traversing the stairs, but upon opening the door, the place is inviting, spacious and clean. The place reminds you of a restaurant that surely have served amazing food.

With us dining as a group, the server said that they insist with groups of 5 or more to do the family style dining which limits your order to up to 4 dishes but with unlimited number of servings you desire. There is a written menu on the wall where you have an option to choose from meat and seafood dishes as well as the pasta dishes.

We opted to get the baked whole snapper which was perfectly cooked. Also did the soft shell crabs delightfully seasoned and fried. Oh my, the best soft shell crabs I’ve ever had. We even ordered second servings for both.

Also enjoyed an array of pasta dishes which were all perfectly cooked al dente. All tasted good.

A very nice place that we will always remember and hope to visit again.

Reviewed 30 June 2018 via mobile

This place is not easy to find as it only has one small sign on the road, and the restaurant is upstairs. I have eaten here many times and there is no doubt it’s the food that keeps you coming back. This was the first time I’d been when it was still light outside, and I think I’d prefer to go when it’s dark.

But this place proves the point that if you have great food, people will find you and they will be loyal to you. The food is excellent. They have different rules if your group is over 6 people. Not everyone can order a unique dish. A group of 6 can only order 3 entree’s. But it’s pretty easy to collaborate with your group so that everyone is happy. And there is more than enough to eat! If you eat everything you are served you would be stuffed, so you do takeout and enjoy the food all over again.

Highly recommend this place. It’s unique, very local and again, great food.

Reviewed 27 June 2018

We visit this fabulous restaurant two or three times every time we are in Richmond. Its a family style restaurant up a steep set of stairs but that doesn't stop hoards of people waiting in line to get a table. The food is simply fantastic and presented brilliantly.

Reviewed 27 June 2018 via mobile

Week night dinner date. Good food, some of the dishes seemed a little higher in price than I expected. The the portion on the duck dish was large (enought for a full lunch the next day) so I'd say that made up for the cost somewhat. The bread was not good at all (dry and tasteless even with the olive oil) but that's alright, I'll skip it next time and have more room for food, ha. Service was decent, slow and inattentive but thankfully nothing as disastrous as other reviews mentioned. I'd go back to try some other dishes on the menu.

Reviewed 23 June 2018

We walked back and forth trying to find the restaurant. Couldn't be up those stairs with the pile of boxes at the top. Couldn't be behind this old door.... Yup. It was noisy, crowded and yet. one of the best squid meals I've ever had. I had the beans, squid and arugula, the others had the pasta with squid. It was amazing. When I suggested that they change the location, I was outvoted...they liked it just the way it was. Fabulous staff, great chefs, gave them hi fives as we left. Memorable evening.