This hotel was sold as a 3* in St Paul’s bay. By no means is this in St Paul bay or a 3*.. The hotel is actually in Xemxija and if you look on the map is out of the way and a half hour bus ride to any life.
The Hotel and rooms are very outdated.
The plug socket in the bedroom was less than useless.. it was so close to the table you couldn’t get a plug in. So this left us with one socket in the kitchen area. All the sockets appear to have been covered over. Can’t charge your phone over night in the bedroom. And for the ladies that want to straighten their hair near a mirror.. forget it, again no plug. We asked for double bed and got twin beds and although we pushed them together there was no point they just slid apart. There are no windows in bedroom so it’s very dark. I also had to beg them to change bedding after 4 days. Never had to do that before. The tv has only 2 English channels and the signal was poor. You also have to pay a refundable €10 to obtain remote for tv.
We were on the 5th floor which had a lovely view of the bay but the lift only fits 2 people in I was in fear of it breaking down whilst in it.. and only went to floor 1 to 5 as it was broken. If you think you can go out around Xemxija think again.. there is nothing around here. We walked half hour one way then the other and not a bar in sight. Unless your desperate and want to use hotel bar which only sells CANS of beer and nothing on draught ! And charge a fortune. The staff in reception were less than helpful. We only wanted to know bus times but was told to go look.! This was whilst she was stuffing her face, I must have interrupted her. Oops sorry for that.
The toilet on reception floor wouldn’t flush, I told the staff and was told there’s a special knack to it.. fabulous news if you want someone else to flush your waste..!! At best this is a 2*.
I will say Malta has a fantastic bus service and you can get about easy enough and the tickets last two hours for return free of charge. Hiring a car is best. They drive on the right same as England so is easy. Parking is a bit of a nightmare though and watch for cars just pulling out on you. No curtesy over here.! No indicators either.. Buggiba is dirty and very run down and out dated. St Julian’s and Sliema are much better, as is a visit to Valetta.
Definitely do your homework before coming here to Porto Azzura I wouldn’t want anyone else to be disappointed like we were.. even an old couple staying here said they thinking of cutting their 2 week break to go home early.. we were lucky and escaped after 1 week.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Porto Azzurro. The Porto Aparthotel, a family run Aparthotel in Xemxija Bay, is prominently situated overlooking the picturesque St.Paul's Bay with breathtaking views of the Maltese countryside. The resort apartments and hotel rooms are stylish and comfortable and provide a luxurious base for a truly relaxing holiday. The main towns nearby are Mellieha, St Pauls Bay and the tourist resort of Bugibba. The sandy beaches of Golden Sands and Mellieha Bay are less than 3 kilometers away. The hotel's apartments are stylish and comfortable and provide a luxurious base for a truly relaxing holiday. All the apartments have a bathroom or shower en suite, air conditioning, fully equipped kitchen complete with a microwave oven, television, safety deposit box and direct dial telephone. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Porto Azzurro reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Porto Azzurro Hotel St. Paul`s Bay
- Porto Azzurro St Pauls Bay
- Porto Azzurro Malta