“Pleasant stay”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Qawra
Club Riza Aparthotel
Reviewed 16 November 2017

Reception area clean & bright, staff welcoming & helpful. We had a one bedroom apartment which was clean & light. Single beds with ill fitting bottom sheets - would have preferred a double bed. Bathroom clean, plenty of towels & basic toiletries supplied. Shower over bath with plastic shower curtain so water getting onto the floor inevitable but water pressure acceptable. Nice big hallway with coat hooks. Sitting room with settee (not the most comfortable but okay & clean). Patio furniture okay. Pull out bed in a cupboard (didn't use it so can't comment on comfort). Dining table & four chairs okay. Kitchen equipped with kettle, toaster, microwave(could do with some covered dishes for use in the microwave) & cooker(needed ,matches to light oven which weren't provided) Basics like dishcloth, tea towel & washing up liquid not provided (which I would have expected) but could be purchased from reception for a small charge.
Small heated indoor pool & Jacuzzi which was little used so we had it to ourselves most evenings. Sauna with no water bucket (withdrawn due to a previous fire) which I found rather odd & pointless without steam.
Generally a pleasant stay but some of the above could definitely be improved upon.

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 6 November 2017

We've just got back from a weeks stay here.
We arrived at about 8.30pm and the staff on reception were very nice and booked us in with no problems at all.
We were given room 325 and when we entered our first impression was "It's enormous". With just the two of us staying in this 2 bedroomed apartment we were sort of rattling around, but I'm not complaining about that at all. It was great that the bedrooms were away from the main living area as I am an early riser and I knew that I wouldn't disturb the other half when making coffee etc in the mornings.

The kitchen was a full sized one with a gas cooker, fridge, microwave. kettle and toaster. Plenty of crockery (6 of everything including MUGS). Plenty of saucepans etc and dishes for the microwave. All clean as a whistle. The daft thing is though that the cooker requires lighting from a match???? None provided ???? I would personally suggest that the resort get the battery operated lighters for each room as I wasn't impressed having to scrabble about on the floor to light the darn thing.

The lounge consisted of a huge circular table with chairs for 6, a 3 piece suite, a pull down bed hidden away in a cupboard, coffee table, flat screen tv, dvd player and a cd player with radio (which I couldn't get to work). I was a bit miffed that the patio table and six chairs were left in the lounge area, I thought they could have been moved onto the balcony area before our arrival.

Two bedrooms which had twin beds in each, plenty of wardrobe space and dressing tables with drawers underneath. I personally thought that the beds in the bedrooms were rather small I'm sure they were 2ft 6in beds and not 3ft singles, which would have been better. Even better would have been that one of the bedrooms could have had a double bed in it.

Mirrors virtually everywhere,

The hallway had a shoe rack and coat hooks which I thought was great as it meant that you didn't have to use up wardrobe space.

The biggest let down was the bathroom. This was dated and needs a complete refurbishment. The bath had stains at the plughole end and was sort of rusty looking. The over bath shower was poor to say the least. There was no riser rail and the cradle that kept it to the wall was broken so you couldn't even adjust the direction of the spray. It just went straight down over the tap so you couldn't use it without taking it out of the cradle. The water pressure was horrendous in both the sink taps and the bath taps, so it was more a trickle that shower. The shower curtain had a few mould marks on it and like all shower curtains, didn't keep the water from spraying over the floor if you kept the shower in it's cradle. The ventilation wasn't good at all and I can imagine that if we had been there in the height of summer you would never have got dry in the bathroom. There were plenty of towels, which was a bonus as one alone didn't cover you or get you dry, Plenty of toiletries though.

The biggest problem was no free Wi-Fi .... Now I know that when you are on your holidays the internet shouldn't be uppermost on your mind. However, most places update the information of their attractions on the internet (changes to opening times. things being closed due to refurbishment, booking tickets) and having to pay for access is really poor in this day and age (especially when the buses have free bloomin Wi-Fi).

I never got to use the pool as my OH wasn't on top form whilst away and I wanted to keep him company whilst he was laying with his leg up but it looked ok from what I did see of it.

The Aparthotel is about 5 minutes away from the bus station so it's handy to be able to get to anywhere on the island by using the buses, Be prepared for the buses to be really crowded though. We travelled at the end of October and beginning of November and not once did we get on a bus that was not full to bursting. It must be horrendous in the summer months.

The hotel was clean and the first impression in reception is a bit deceiving really.

Would we go back to this hotel? If they refurbish then yes .. until then sorry it's a no.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Julie C
Reviewed 5 November 2017

Well, where do I start? I have contemplated this review for days as there was simply no way to express our dissatisfaction on a review typed via a mobile phone. I apologise in advance for the length of this review, but visitors MUST be warned and be aware, so I urge you to read the full review. This must be, bar none, the worst two nights stay we have ever had to endure in our traveling life (around 20 years). In my earlier days, I have stayed in hostels and dorms, and this place ranks amongst those, however it is not advertised as such.
On arrival, the entrance and foyer is chic and contemporary and alludes to apartments that will be of the same quality, unfortunately this illusion is shattered as you walk out of the foyer and into the corridors towards the rooms.
The first thing that hits you is the smell. It is musty and dank, something I do not think I have experienced since I used to visit my grandmother towards the end of her life (some 40 years ago). The corridors themselves are dark, dingy and depressing, with some very odd ceiling material that looks like a decking (yes, similar to what you would use for a patio or boardwalk), yet many of the “planks” are ill fitting or broken. The sea of very brown doors that you pass by hints at what is to come.
Getting into the lifts is the next challenge. These look as though they are from buildings erected in the 60’s and remind me of a friend’s lift in the UK whose flat dates to this period. They feel rickety and are awkward to keep open as you attempt to get your luggage inside.
Finally, you get to your room, which for us was a studio apartment…..
Now, we are timeshare owners with our home property in Greece, and we had exchanged our week via RCI. Our own property is a studio apartment but is of a very good quality. It has a proper full size double bed and a small but perfectly functional kitchen area, and has a light, contemporary feel, given it is updated and refreshed. We expect, nay demand, that the room we exchange with is of equal or better quality to not only our home resort, but also our own home. We should feel as though we are in a place that we can relax in, that makes us feel we are on holiday, and that we can call home for a week or two. This apartment was none of these things.
The room was super small – ok I can forgive that, but where was the bed??? It turns out that this was in a cupboard, effectively nothing more than an old pull out camp bed!!! Honestly!! In today’s world who in their right mind would offer a camp bed as a main sleeping accommodation? I can understand if this was a secondary bed perhaps for kids, or in the above-mentioned hostels, but this is neither a hostel or a secondary sleeping area. My partner now suffers from severe back issues and there was no way she was going to sleep on this thing.
The rest of the room looked as though it was straight out of the 1970’s. Not the cool 70’s like Starsky and Hutch or early David Bowie, but the really bad 70’s like a bad Val Doonican jumper or a wobbly TV set. It felt like this was the original fixtures and fittings that were used in the room when the apartment was originally built, and had not been touched in 40 years. It was horrid and incredibly depressing. My partner was almost in tears.
Of course, we immediately complained. The guy on the front desk (who was the only staff on duty in the entire resort), then phoned through to a manager. We were informed that all the rooms are the same and that the room description outlined that they have these types of bed! Honestly and again, what resort (apart from a hostel) would even contemplate such sleeping accommodation in 2017? I can see that this might have been chic and cutting-edge design in the 1970’s, but things have moved on. However, the manager offered us an upgrade, yet we would HAVE to pay for this privilege, another €75! We honestly thought about junking the resort entirely and just see if we could get another hotel, however the manager then informed us that if we did this, then RCI would not help us further. As it turned out, this was sound advice, however, for this night (and indeed the next) we would be forced to pay and move into the “upgrade” apartment.
When I say upgrade, what I mean is a slightly bigger 1 bedroom apartment. It was still horrid, poorly fitted out and dirty. The bathroom had broken tiles, a scummy bath with a very tacky shower curtain. The bedroom did seem to have updated furniture, although updated from this point of view was to the 1980’s. Again, it was awful and had two single beds that were also very uncomfortable, and glaring fluorescent strip lighting. The outside table was a disgusting plastic table that looked as if it had been purchased from a cheap store, again about 20 or 30 years ago. The sofa was grubby and stained, and there is just acres and acres of bad broooowwwnnnn decor. Ugh. Everything is in drastic need of a full refurbishment, and oh, that smell, it follows you everywhere – even opening the widows doesn’t clear it. We even had the displeasure of the dogs barking in an adjacent property (that I have read in other reviews), although thankfully they did not bark for any great length of time.
So, what did we do? Well, after a horrid night’s sleep we just wanted to get out so walked around Saint Paul’s bay. During that walk, RCI phoned and said they would consider moving us to a new location. Several hours passed but then they phoned back and said that the Radisson Blu had a room although they were unsure of its state. We were going to be in the Saint Julian’s area the following day so arranged to drop in and check out the room.
From the moment we arrived at the Radisson Blu, we were taken care of. We saw the room at 6:30pm and by 8:30pm we had moved from the awful Club Riza and into the Radisson. However, we were not done yet. On checking out of Club Riza, they still had the audacity to charge us €25. To be honest, at this point I just paid to get out with the minimum of fuss. Credit to RCI again, they have at least given us a credit on our account to cover this as well.
So, what should be done going forward? Apparently, many apartments in the area (and even the Mediterranean) are similarly furnished, however, I personally think this is something that therefore needs to be addressed across all timeshare properties. As mentioned, I think owners should expect at the very least a like for like, and I am disgusted that rooms and resorts like this are even listed on the RCI exchange site. NO resort should offer camp beds as their main sleeping accommodation in ANY room, period. I personally think that resorts that do nothing to their property to refresh the rooms and communal facilities should be dropped completely from the listings. After all, this is what we all pay a significant amount of money to buy into a timeshare and pay the ongoing maintenance.
I expect to be taken care of when I exchange properties. I expect the little things to be in place, including cleaning materials such as washing up liquid and a scourer, but also expect that the larger items to be sorted as well, such as well-designed décor and a comfortable living and sleeping environment, even if the room is only a studio. These resorts can get away with providing the bare minimum, meeting just the items written in a list (such as bedroom count, number of plates, etc.), but honestly, there should be a minimum quality level as well. I would not have my own home to be as poorly built as the rooms are in the Club Riza, so that is just wrong, and needs to be addressed.

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Chris S
Reviewed 3 November 2017 via mobile

Been here on a number of occasions and noticed on my last visit this October how far this is falling behind the average holiday accommodation.
I was in Tenerife in May and stayed at a hotel that was in need of updating like the Riza but at least in Tenerife the furniture in the rooms was comfortable and you could get free Wi-fi anywhere in the hotel (that’s no charge if you were wondering).
The only things that are good about the Riza at the moment are it is clean and I can only say that some of the staff were friendly some could learn to smile. Little things go a long way to making you feel welcome.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 October 2017

Stayed in October in a studio with pull down bed which we left down all week , clean apartment and all round . bed very noisy, studio was overlooking new build where the H & S was non existent. Bar & Restaurant were only available in mornings and afternoons rest of the time it was like a morgue. told the Club was full for week we were there, but most of the time the pool area was only 1/4 full and many rooms the curtains did not open. difficult to get the dates you require

Stayed: October 2017
Also consider these accommodations in or near Qawra
0.4 km away
0.1 km away
Il Palazzin Hotel
Il Palazzin Hotel
#5 of 15 in Qawra

Been to Club Riza Aparthotel? Share your experiences!