“Leaf Peepers Delight”

The Charleston House
Ranked #7 of 15 Woodstock B&B and Inns
Reviewed 24 October 2016

Dixi and Willa make the Charleston House as inviting as your own home. They are helpful and kind with lots of local knowledge to make a visit to Woodstock, Vermont all that more memorable.
Willa's breakfasts display her culinary skills and are of such generous portions to fulfill. The brewed coffee is ready extra early for those of us that start at the crack of dawn, but breakfast serving occurs at 8:30 or 9:30 am, and worth the wait.
The accommodations at Charleston House range from minimally necessary to an upstairs room with outside deck to enjoy the views and a jacuzzi tub in the bathroom.

Room Tip: Remember, you do get what you pay for, and the better rooms cost more.
1  Thank Stuart D

Reviewed 24 October 2016

The Charleston House is ideally situated, close to the centre of Vermont but with plenty parking space. The room was quaintly decorated with a bed which was very comfortable, and higher off the floor than we have encountered in all our previous travels! Willa and Dixie are genial and helpful hosts and the breakfasts were an amazing combination of fruit, savoury and sweet items which certainly set you up for the day (and rendered lunch unnecessary). In New England a B&B such as The Charleston House is not a cheap option, but it is an experience not to be missed and if Woodstock is on your itinerary then it is highly recommended.

1  Thank lancashirecouple2
Reviewed 23 October 2016 via mobile

We stayed here for my husband's birthday which is right at peak foliage time. We had to book six months in advance since this area gets so busy. Hey, that's New England fall foliage for ya! We stayed in the Mt. Peg room which was spacious and with a comfortable bed. The bed is tall so being I am only five four, I had to hop a little to get up. This was not a problem for us, but might be for others. The place is very convenient to walk downtown. My only comment would be that the community style breakfast was a drawback for this cute B& B. Would have prefered a series of smaller tables so I could sit with my husband privately. While I am quite social, having to be "on" first thing in the morning and have forced conversation was a bit much. It's our weekend! I deal with the public all day at work and would like down time at meals. However, people were pleasant . We just kept the meal short. Their resident dog was sweet and adorable.

Stayed: October 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank stuffnut2016
Reviewed 19 October 2016

Charleston House was a pleasure. The room was clean, the breakfast was truly top-notch and fresh, and the atmosphere was welcoming. I loved the pineapple theme that they had going, complete with a mini pineapple tree in the lobby.

It did get quite cold at night, and there weren't temperature gauges in the rooms. That would be my only suggestion for improvement. It's an old, old house, so it is a bit drafty. There were extra blankets in the room, so I survived.

Also be aware: the hot water gets hot RIGHT away, like BURNING hot. No, I definitely did not boil myself in the shower and sprain my knee while trying and failing to hurl myself out of it like a confused, frantic cat in a tub. Not at all.

Willa and Dixie, the owners, were so much fun; they're the sort of people you want to immediately be best friends with. They are verging on elderly but still full of energy and spunk.They were also enormously helpful, offering to call restaurants for reservations and such. As I left, Dixie was grabbing his car to drive a guest to an auto shop (his car had broken down).

The gave excellent dinner recommendations. I inquired about the large fireplace in the common room. Willa, in classic Vermont style, said that they didn't light it till winter (mind you, it was getting down into the 20s that night, and it was already chilly by my delicate more southern Northeast standards). When I asked them again, they lit the fire for me, even though I was the only guest who enjoyed it.

I ever make it back up to Woodstock, I'll be staying at Charleston House.

• Stayed: October 2016, travelled solo
1  Thank 939rebekahs
Reviewed 9 October 2016

Unfortunately, our experience at the Charleston was not a great one. The main reason being, we didn't feel like valued guests. The host's were not welcoming as we've found at other B&B's. When we arrived, we were not shown around to know where the common rooms were located. At most B&B's, coffee, tea or even snacks are available, but nothing extra was offered at the Charleston. The room had cobwebs on the lamps and in the corners. The bed coverlet didn't smell clean. The breakfast was the typical greasy sugary fare.

1  Thank cat30189