“Spicy chicken sandwich is spicy indeed!!”
Review of Empire State South

Empire State South
Ranked #127 of 4,135 Restaurants in Atlanta
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Midtown
Reviewed 2 April 2018

Came here for lunch.

I had a spicy crispy chicken sandwich with chips. The chips were too thin so when fried up, it was too crispy with a burnt aftertaste. The spicy crispy sandwich, however, was amazing.

My mom had the Shrimp platter. She said the shrimp was very fresh. It came with two pieces of hush puppies and french fries.

Would definitely come back for the spicy crispy sandwich alone!

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 16 March 2018 via mobile

Had dinner with a colleague last night and it exceeded expectations. We shared the farm egg, radish cake, and octopus small plates and it was just enough food. An explosion of flavors!

Reviewed 11 March 2018

I went for a business dinner with six people. The menu requires explanation. Our waitperson was very helpful at suggesting various dishes. We relied on his suggestions for appetizers. I really enjoyed the "jars" of various spreads. I didn't want a large entree after all of the appetizers, so I ordered a small plate of octopus. It was quite tender. However, I was intrigued by the bowl of fried rice with hot dog and a poached egg. The three people who had it said it was surprisingly delicious. Another said the grouper was excellent. The noise level was high. This is not a place for a quiet evening. I recommend this restaurant for the adventuresome. Others might find that it pushes the limits beyond their comfort zone. Check out the menu online before you decide.

Reviewed 4 February 2018

Someone told us about this place which ended up being right next to our hotel. We arrived and were given the menu. First off everything looked a little weird on the menu. We asked the waitress for her suggestions and everything was amazing. We started with an egg thing that was soon good! everything she recommended was delicious! we will for sure come back here.

Reviewed 21 January 2018

We went here to celebrate my husband's 64th birthday. I really wanted to like this place, but as the meal progressed, the service got worse, then the check came. Who charges for refills of iced tea? ESS does. Or, as they call it, Iced Black. It's $2.50 per mason jar. My husband's iced tea cost $7.50 for the evening.
They also charge for bread and butter, which is on the menu under 'Snackies'. Make no mistake, the bread was delicious, as was the sorghum butter. The cost = $9.
The decor was rustic, dark and relaxed. Servers wear blue jeans, t-shirts and sneakers. If you want a glass of wine, bring your reading glasses, because the type on the wine list is so tiny that it is almost unreadable.
Sound bounces off the walls, so it was difficult to hear our waiter, Brad W. He asked if my husband wanted simple syrup with his tea, and when my husband asked him to repeat the question, Brad barked 'sugar.' No thank you.
At the table next to us, the patron asked what kind of non-alcoholic beer they had. 'I know we have it, but heck if I know what kind,' Brad W. said. Haha.
When I ordered a second glass of wine, I had to wait 10 minutes, and it only arrived after I reminded our waiter. We also waited 10 minutes for one of my husband's Iced Blacks, and had to remind Brad of that, too.
My husband had the yellowfin tuna and I had tilefish. Both were excellent. But we won't be back, nor can we recommend this place. Because we don't dine on expense accounts, and refills of iced tea should always be free. It's just common courtesy.