“Nice staff, convenient, poor maintenance, management”
Review of The Ellis Hotel

The Ellis Hotel
Ranked #46 of 173 Hotels in Atlanta
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 21 January 2012

The Ellis is in an historic building, located downtown, north of Five Points and just south of Peachtree Center and across from MARTA. It has a handsome look and welcoming, friendly staff. We did not use the restaurant or bar, though we attended afternoon wine and cheese. There was no sparkling wine (Come on, good Prosecco is cheap!), and what they had was fair.

The room was nice, and housekeeping sometimes made up the room promptly, sometimes not. The chair at the writing desk was broken, and I caught a staffer in the hallway, who promptly fixed it.

A major annoyance was that all the drink machines were broken. I went from floor to floor and found that the machines either wouldn't take bills or had taped-over coin slots. The problem is that the nearest store is two long blocks up Peachtree and inside a subterranean arcade. The only other alternative was to buy a soda from the bar, at bar prices and sizes. The kind lady at reception comped me a Coke from the bar.

I reported the problem after we checked in for our three-night stay and again every day. Nothing was done about the machines. One would think that when there is no convenience store nearby, for management, broken vending machines would call for prompt repair. Apparently not, as one employee mentioned they had been like that for a long time.

Another annoyance was the flaky guest room key cards, which were constantly losing their "charge," making it impossible to use the elevator. I had to line up behind other guests with the same problem. Again, management.

Nevertheless, because of the staff our stay was pleasant. There is a Ritz-Carlton across the street from the Ellis. These should be islands of comfort and style in a fairly shabby part of town trying hard not to be. The Ellis almost measures up. It could be a much better hotel with up-front, conscientious and responsive management.

Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends

Reviewed 17 January 2012

Stayed at the Ellis for five nights for business and it will now be my hotel of choice whenever I'm in Atlanta. I really enjoyed my stay here! The staff was incredibly friendly, attentive and helpful. The rooms, tho a little small, were nicely appointed, comfortable and the windows actually open a crack for fresh air in the evening. There's a selection of three pillows to choose from plus a bolster on the bed an the bathroom amenities were products I may actually choose to purchase at some point. Complimentary wifi was also very appreciated.

I didn't have a chance to eat in the restaurant this trip, as it was either full or booked for a party when I tried. I did have a glass of wine in the bar upon arrival, and ordered a salad which was a little disappointing (steak was cooked perfectly but the lettuce was spartan for the price and there wasn't much to the salad part). I did however hear rave reviews from colleagues who've dined there in the past.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank twangypearl
Reviewed 17 January 2012

Believe it or not, this hotel, the Ellis, is better than the Ritz-Carlton, which is right across the street. In fact you can see their terrace and the patrons sitting right outside while glancing from the barstools upstairs at the Ellis. I stayed by myself overnight at the Ellis while on a shopping trip downtown Atlanta because I live in the NE Georgia Mountains and didn't want to drive home at night. The staff at the Ellis is superb! They addressed me by name always. I missed the wine happy hour by about 10 mins. in the lobby, no problem. I was upstairs and a waitress went downstairs, got me some wine and brougt it up. The bartender upstairs took care of me and served me complimentary samples of wine during the evening and the manager even gave me some personal attention on his evening off. The morning breakfast was loaded with farm fresh food that came from farms that the Ellis coop with for their food.

Trish

Room Tip: I like a room with a view of the city
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
4  Thank trishh545
Tom L, General Manager at The Ellis Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 January 2017

Wow thank you for saying the Ellis Hotel is "Better than the Ritz, REALLY"! We look forward to your future return!

Reviewed 13 January 2012

I loved this place! The front desk always remembered my name, the restaurant staff was attentive, after having a problem with one of the two room key cards Security checked with me later that night and also the next day to make sure I wasn't having any problems, and the valet service prompt and friendly.

The rooms were on the cozy side but everything was comfortable and well laid out. I was traveling with family and the king room had a problem with the vents. The thermostat controlled one system however there was a secondary vent over the bed that would blow cool air that counteracted the heat. The maintenance staff was able to correct that in a couple of hours. The queen room that I shared with my mother was fine although there wasn't much room for the room-service tray when we ordered breakfast in. Bathrooms were well appointed and the shower was great. Loved that they had a magnifying mirror too!

Our room rate included their American breakfast either in the restaurant or by room-service. Food was great and there was plenty of it. Not being a morning person I really appreciated the later breakfast hours offered.

When in Atlanta in the future I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank ChrisTaco
Reviewed 10 January 2012

We stayed 4 nights at the Ellis. Overall, a nice hotel, Loved the decor, although the hallway, room, and bathroom were a little claustrophobic. The hotel staff, from bellman to valet to
front desk, were all friendly and helpful. Had a little difficulty with our card key on the last day, but DJ and Cecil were both helpful and went the extra mile to help us to get into our room.
The free wine tasting was nice, and unexpected, and the proximity to dining and shopping
was very convenient. Thanks to the staff of the Ellis, for a great, relaxing stay, and special
thanks for Nicole, who was helpful in booking our room.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple