“A good find, not a luxury experience”
Review of The Ellis Hotel

The Ellis Hotel
Ranked #47 of 173 Hotels in Atlanta
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 12 April 2014

I made a mistake by thinking this hotel was comparable to the Ritz, Westin or Marquis. My expectations were high, now they are tempered (not squashed). It's not any of those, mainly because of the physical issues. From a service perspective they are as good or better.

On the plus side: great value for the money; friendly service; very good food; excellent location. Troy, the valet was awesome. Sylvester in the restaurant knew my preferences and provided spot-on service.

Disappointments: The room was worn. Furniture had many cup stains, scratches and dents. The bathroom mirror had a 2 foot crack, taped over. There were chips in the tub and the towels are ready for replacement. The A/C couldn't keep it cool and it was only April.

It was a close call as to whether this was "average" or "very good",

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Olya R, Front Office Manager at The Ellis Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2014

Good Afternoon,
Thank you for your stay with us back in April. I apologize to reply so late-I just discovered I never responded to your review. I just wanted to thank you for froviding feedback. I also wanted to mention that we also find it unacceptable for a room to have a broken mirror; however we either had to use that room because of a sold-out situation or we put you in that room by mistake. Please accept my apology.
Olya

Write a ReviewReviews (1,470)

Reviewed 30 March 2014

best part was the beds were comfortable. Make sure to call for your car about 30 mins before you need it because its a long wait if you don't. I followed this tip and was happy it worked as there were a few people waiting for cars that were surprised when I came down and jumped right in my car. Some bad things were that it seems the front desk doesn't know any "local attractions", which was weird. The hotel could use some freshening up. The bathroom was just ok, and not as clean as I would have liked with mold stains and its kind of tight. over all I would have liked it to be more but it was just ok. I am glad I tried it but probably won't be back. Also, maintenance needs to pick up. handle in left elevator is loose and can pinch fingers.

Area seems to be ok. Nice restaurants around and a walk (15mins) to coca-cola factory and aquarium.

Room Tip: make sure to call for you r car 30 mins beforehand
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Rxing
Olya R, Front Office Manager at The Ellis Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 April 2014

Good Afternoon,
Thank you for posting about your experience-we value all feedback, as it helps us learn what areas need improvement. I apologize that you encountered an associate that wasn't knowledgeable about things to do in the area. I will make sure we review some of those things next time we hold a training. Thank you for pointing out the items that need attention of our maintenance/housekeeping teams. I will send you a private message requesting the room number you stayed in to ensure the issues have been fixed.
Thank you again for your recent stay with us and for your comments.

Reviewed 29 March 2014 via mobile

The hotel was decent for the location. In my head 4 stars would offer a bit more. Positives: Reese the doorman was wonderful...get him a raise! Some of the staff was new so not really helpful with some issues. For instance never was able to rent a movie from the TV and they couldn't articulate how. The parking leaves much to be desired, but it is downtown. The garage across the street is more expensive on weekends please read the full disclosure before you park. Bed was comfortable a quaint experience.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Olya R, Front Office Manager at The Ellis Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2014

Good Afternoon,
Thank you for your recent stay with us and for the feedback. I apologize you weren't able to enjoy a movie-I will make sure my staff is weel trained on that topic. Thank you for the kind words about Reese-can't wait to share it with him!
We certainly hope to see you again next time you're in Atlanta.
Olya Rostova

Reviewed 15 March 2014

As always, the Staff at The Ellis Hotel on Peachtree Street in Atlanta makes the stay warm and inviting. They consistently go over and aboard with excellent customer service and care for their guests. After repeated stays at this terrific Hotel, I continue to be amazed each time I stay with them.

Room Tip: Each room in which I have stayed was terrific.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank Tracy J

Good Afternoon,
Thank you for your loyalty-we also truly enjoy having you as a guest when you're in town. I can't wait to share your review with the entire team! We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 11 March 2014

Stayed at the Ellis again, 8 months from previous visit (July?). Once again, the staff there are the best. Friendly, helpful, and remembered us from last summer. Conveniently located to several places including the HRC. No hesitance to recommend the Ellis. Got a great weekend rate.
One issue is parking. Pay for the valet. It would have turned out cheaper, as the parking deck down the street ripped us off, as well as our friends. It rolls to a 2nd day at 6 am, no matter when you entered. One night cost $32, and we could have valet parked for $25 + $5 tip. 717 Parking is a freaking rip off. I realize not the Ellis' problem, but you should know. One notable fact to mention is that we bumped into many of the same staff that were there before on our last visit. That's a good thing. They are good folks.

Room Tip: Rooms facing Peachtree are quieter. Side streets have more noise.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank GaVol

Good Day,
Thank you so much for the wonderful review and for your loyalty! It's always a pleasure to serve our repeat guests and we certainly hope that we will see you again in the nearest future.
I'm sorry the 717 parking deck rates are not clearly displayed. We will be glad to park your car in valet with us next time you visit. Thank you for sharing this tip with the rest of the Tripadvisor community.