“Decent Bed, Ruined Pants and Poor Customer Service”
Review of Artmore Hotel

Artmore Hotel
Ranked #16 of 173 Hotels in Atlanta
New York City, New York
“Decent Bed, Ruined Pants and Poor Customer Service”
Reviewed 19 August 2011

I visited the Artmore Hotel in May 2011. I was there on a short, conference room packed business trip—so I did not require much more than a central location and a comfortable bed to sleep in—check and check.
But here’s the problem: I travelled on the train, and thus decided to send my clothing to the Hotel’s laundry for washing so that they would be clean for my return trip. This should be a basic hotel service. Yet, my pants, which had been washed and dried in the past without any issues, came back as if it had been splattered with bleach. When I complained, I was given the name and phone number of the Laundry and told to contact them myself. I spent the better part of two days calling Sanji at Classic Touch and got no response from their laundry facility. I finally escalated my complaint to the hotel’s manager and walked her through where I bought the pants (she could see the tags etc.), the delivery charge and the tailoring charge to replace the pants—and was finally promised a full refund. Unfortunately, after several days, this all finally came to a head the day I was travelling home! Not only did I not have the clothing I was planning to wear on my return trip, but after all the run around… and the general lack of interest by the staff, I had a sinking suspicion that they would never send me the full refund. And I was right!
To date, I’ve only recovered actual cost of the pants (and that was accomplished after 13 phone calls!). Even though I followed up several times with the cost of the shipping $12 and tailoring $15, and got promises of a refund from the hotel manager, I haven’t seen the remainder-- 3 months later. To most that $27 may seem like not much of a big deal, but after ruining my trip, ruining my clothes, having me do triage, having me submit a bunch of emails and receipts, and make a ton of calls… I’m still out the final $27 needed to replace something ruined by this hotel! But more importantly, I’m completely disappointed with their customer service and their failure to meet promises made.

Room Tip: The first floor and couryard are very loud. Try moving up a few floors.
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
5 Thank A N
gmartmorehotel, General Manager at Artmore Hotel, responded to this review, 25 August 2011
Dear A N,

Thanks so much for taking the time to write this review. I am so sorry that our Dry Cleaner ruined your pants! I see back in May where our front desk manager was in the process of taking care of this for you, and I am not sure why it wasn't resolved to a successful resolution, as this was a pretty simple thing to fix. I will make sure that you are made whole, and that we also have an opportunity to show you that we are much better than this experience. I apologize again, and look forward to making sure you are more than satisfied.

Best Regards,

Michael Halpner

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (451)
  • Greek first
Victoria, BC Canada
Reviewed 10 August 2011

Stayed in a lovely spacious 1 bedroom suite. The living/dining room and kitchen are on the first level, with the bedroom and bath on the 2nd floor. Wonderful lighting and views from both levels. Large skylights in both the bedroom and bathroom, with blinds to close them off at night. Ipod docking station and a TV in both the bedroom and living room. The complimentary wifi worked well. Walked over 3 blocks and had a choice of many restaurants for dinner. Lovely little bar in the hotel and beautiful spacious courtyard to relax in. All the staff at the front desk, bar, valet were very friendly and welcoming. We thought the downtown location was good and MARTA very handy to take to other areas. Airport was a short drive away along with a couple of gas stations close by to fill up before we returned our rental car at the airport. In the morning the front desk clerk offered to print off our boarding passes so I didn't need to use the business centre they provided.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank snoopy647
Dear snoopy647,

Thanks so much for taking the time to write such a great review of your time with us! I look forward to sharing this with our entire team. It really validates all of the work we do here to make sure our guests are made to feel welcome and special. I am very glad that you chose to stay with us at the Artmore. Thanks again!

Safe Travels,

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 30 July 2011

All the positive review of this hotel prompted me to reserve a 4-nights stay in this hotel. I had a horrible experience. First, the internet was not working for most of 4 nights. I had a terrible time trying to use skype to make emergent international calls, due to the internet problems with both wireless and cable in the hotel. The internet guy at the first night was nice and trying to help, but all the rest of staff did not care at all about my multiple complaints of their internet every night.

Second, the place was very noisy. They had court yard music every night, and it lasted until 1am on Friday night. I had to call the front desk to complain, and they finally turned it off around 1am, but then it got turned on again for another 10 minutes.

Third, the hotel floor is not sound proof. The people upstairs moved around all night (from midnight to 9am), and the squeaky noisy from the floor kept me from sleeping all night.

Fourth, most of the staff is not helpful at all, except one internet guy and a few others. The front desk woman was very rude when we asked about a restaurant. She replied "Nobody knows what you are talking about."

Finally, the hotel was renovated with nice decoration. However, they were too cheap to put nice pictures. If you walk around, you can see the same pictures with Marilyn Monroe and Elvis repeated in the hallway, stairs, and everywhere. Even in my hotel room, there are two same photos about Marilyn.

Overall, I will never recommend anyone to stay here, and I am not sure how can this place get such a good review on the web.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
6 Thank Travel_The_World_Jia
gmartmorehotel, General Manager at Artmore Hotel, responded to this review, 2 August 2011
Dear Travel_The_World_Jia,

I am so sorry that you did not have a good experience at the Artmore. We work hard to exceed the expectations of all our guests, and clearly we failed in doing so this time. There were several things that went wrong during your stay, and I would be happy to personally address them with you, and in additional, I would be very happy to have the opportunity to make this up to. Please contact me when you have a moment. Again, my apologies.

Best Regards,

South Carolina, USA
Reviewed 25 July 2011

I stayed at Artmore with my husband and another couple We shared a room. The suite was way bigger than what I expected. Two levels - kitchen and sitting area on level 1 and 2 individual bedrooms with 1 bath on level 2. Most guests I'd say were under the age of 35. Courtyard was great - beautiful and shaded. It was too hot for us to enjoy the time outside, but spring and fall would be beautiful. Valet parking was quick and easy. We found an online deal that comped breakfast and parking.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank bbear8
North Carolina
Reviewed 21 July 2011

Last year we were in Sobe and loved the Art Deco style hotels. We were flying from Atlanta to Cancun and decided to play tourist for a day while there. I found the Artmore just looking through hotels and so glad we did. It is so much like the boutique hotels in South Beach. Great reception from the staff. Very helpful with maps and directions. Very classy old rooms updated to our taste. View- not so good but didn't come to stare out the windows. Really fantastic patio/veranda with comfortable seating. Grab a drink at the bar and step out to enjoy the laid- back atmosphere. Breakfast was $10/p but when we had a look we backed out as it resembled the fare at a breakfast included chain(you insert a name). We felt bad for the cook as she greeted us so warmly but we were wanting a more substantial meal before a long flight. Very affordable place to stay Midtown.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple