“So good we went twice”

Restaurant Curia Reial SL.
Ranked #8 of 29 Restaurants in Besalu
Price range: US$21 - US$41
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 18 September 2017

As a bunch of cyclists needing reliably nutritious (but local) grub at the end of a day in the saddle, Curia Reial was a delight. You might initially get put off when you peer down through the front door and see plastic tables (this is just the bar), but the dining area is in a separate new-build veranda out the back. It was dark when we were there, but it will have great views of the bridge. Re previous reviews, it seems to open for food about 20.30.
We went for the fixed menu (c.€27?) which allowed a sensible choice and included wine and water. One of our party (a well-seasoned traveller) described the lamb with figs as the best he'd ever had. Furthermore, the place seems to be run by a husband & wife team, and they clearly care about looking after you. When we returned 2 nights later we were again spoiled by attentive and friendly service. Really couldn't fault it.

Reviewed 24 August 2017 via mobile

Reading some of the reviews I was surprised by the negative comments. We had not booked but were quickly seated in a lovely outside patio area with a pleasing view of the bridge. Service was just right: friendly and courteous. There was a very good value set menu with several choices for each course. Food was flavoursome and fresh. In particular the hake and rice dishes were very enjoyable. Note that Spanish rice dishes are mainly a paella type rice with a limited amount of meat or fish but this one was really enjoyable. Perfectly acceptable wine was included in the cost. The restaurant was quite busy and diners seemed to be enjoying their experience at the restaurant. We passed a lovely two hours eating good food in very pleasant surroundings. We would certainly return.

Reviewed 15 August 2017 via mobile

On sitting down, we weren't offered menus. My Spanish is not good and the waiter asked us what we wanted. Difficult to know if you haven't seen the menu. A group of people also sat down, waited and left again as they hadn't been regarded. There is a good area for sitting on street level where we entered , and ,on going to the toilet, a whole restaurant was discovered facing onto the river. It's a lovely setting. Oh yes, the toilets, full of flies. The food was lovely - we had patates braves and drinks. Followed by coffees. Waited for the bill. Two waiters in that area a bit too interested in phones and chatting to each other to gain our attention. I decided to go down to the bar to pay. Of course I didn't have the list of food so had to wait for upstairs to bring it down. More waiting. Maybe it was the heat, but I feel the staff are missing a trick in this establishment. Managers take note?

Reviewed 11 August 2017 via mobile

This restaurant is by far one of the worse places we ever visited.
We booked a table in advance for 20:00 o'clock, the place wasn't ready so we waited outside for 25 minutes.
We ordered drinks while waiting and the waitress asked us to pay right away even that we were waiting for our table.
Finally we got to our table, we waited for 30 minutes to order because nobody paid attention to us. The food was very very average (and not Spanish at all even that they advertise themselves as such). The service was very bad and in the middle of the meal, one of the waitress came to us and dimended that we pay for our drinks from outside, we explained that we already paid, but he kept telling us that we didn't, even that we explained over and over that we did and even showed him the check. It was right near all the people in the restaurant, was very humiliating and uncomfortable. The experience was very bad. The food the service the addetude absolutely everything!
It is the first time that I give one to a restaurant, and I would have gave 0 if I could.

Reviewed 21 July 2017

For my main course I had a veal steak which was very tough. I can't remember what my starter was. But my wife's starter of cannelloni with porcini and spinach, followed by lamb with dates was delicious. We had the three course menu which was great value, but the courses tumbled into one another, giving insufficient time to digest. It was a bit of a rush. We arrived at 22:00, which I thought was okay for Spanish dining, but there is no doubt that they didn't want us hanging around.

The situation was lovely, but despite the fact that the set menu was reasonably priced, neither the food nor the experience were particularly special. The lamb- pulled bits of shoulder- is delicious, however. Credit for that.