“Interesting, tasty but expensive experience ”
Review of Volt

Volt
Reserve with OpenTable
Volt is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #14 of 409 Restaurants in Frederick
Price range: US$31 - US$50
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Between 2nd and 3rd Street
Description: VOLT offers guests a menu of modern American cuisine. The focus of our cuisine is based on classic flavor combinations, creating sophisticated dishes that emphasize purity and seasonal flavors that are based on fundamental and innovative cooking techniques. VOLT's relationship with local artisan farmers ensures availability of products to fulfill the philosophy behind the menu, in a refined, historic venue where classic meets modern. By design, the restaurant follows along the original footprint of the mansions first floor parlors. Both the 38 seat main dining room and the bar/lounge open off the foyer. The original mosaic tile in the foyer was the inspiration behind the warm monochromatic color palette that adorns the finishes in VOLT. Private dining can be hosted in the conservatory offering views of the expansive courtyard. The 700 square foot kitchen afforded space to include up to 20 guests.
Reviewed 13 October 2017 via mobile

We visited Volt for a fun dinner experience knowing it would be a bit pricey. We decided to go all in with the 10 course tasting menu and wine package. Every course was delicious and the wine pairing equally so. It was the most expensive dinner we've ever had though so be warned! As an aside, since we don't live in Frederick, we opted to stay at a small B&B called 10 Clark place which was in walking distance. Good thing since the wine package equaled 5 glasses of wine! We would go to Volt again but not often. It's a special experience.

Reviewed 9 October 2017

Service: A+ Just enough elegance without being stuffy. Just enough friendliness from the server to be enjoyable without feeling like you were BFFs.

Drinks: B When the server brought the drinks menu, he spoke of the excellent cocktails offered. Then he said, “In addition to these, we can also make a mimosa or bloody mary.” Well…the bloody mary tasted like an afterthought. It wasn’t bad, but it was as pedestrian a bloody mary as that you would get on an airplane: totally drinkable, but memorable for its anonymity. In an establishment with food this good, they should drop it from the menu if they can’t do better. Certainly not worth the $10 price tag.

Food: A+ We chose the three-course brunch not being able to imagine how anyone could eat their five-course version in one sitting. That said, it looks amazing. But we should start with the breadsticks that come to the table while you peruse the drinks menu. Beautifully fresh and dusted with fennel and sea salt. They didn’t last long.
After ordering, staff came around with a choice of fresh chive and cheddar biscuits or bacon and sage rolls with an excellent butter that I suspect was local. We chose one of each and could have made a meal from them. Clearly, there is a master baker on the premises.

For a first course, one of us ordered the smoked salmon on sourdough toast with cream cheese, radishes, and pickled onion. The other ordered the heirloom tomato with burrata cheese, balsamic, and pickled herbs. The tomato was spectacular, but the winner was the salmon which was some of the best I had ever tasted.

For the second course, one ordered the malted French toast with apples, maple syrup and a walnut granola which was thoroughly enjoyed. We were a bit surprised, though that, for the price paid, the plate had only one slice of French toast. I ordered the waffle with hollandaise, poached egg and hot sauce. The eggs were nearly perfect, the hollandaise was wonderfully rich, the waffles were perfect for mopping up the egg, hot sauce, and hollandaise. Note that we both also ordered a side of house bacon – large strips of a delicious Applewood-smoked bacon that had been candied in raw sugar. This side order is a MUST GET if you eat pork.

We ended up with three desserts as the chef send out one special dessert in honor of my guest’s birthday – a pineapple semifreddo rolled in toasted coconut with a still smoking torched meringue on the side…and a birthday candle. My guest had also ordered the blueberry coffeecake with bay leaf ice cream and blueberry compote which was declared to be excellent. I ordered the cheese plate which came with a generous portion of Humboldt Fog goat’s cheese paired with what I think was apple butter, dried figs, and bits of honeycomb. All those were paired with a delicious French-press coffee.

Bottom line: A+ Brunch at Volt is not cheap, but it is well within the range of a good brunch with cocktails at many DC establishments. The fact that it was one of the best brunch food experiences I have ever had makes it well worth an occasional trip up to Frederick, MD. We certainly look forward to next time.

Reviewed 8 October 2017 via mobile

We went for an anniversary dinner. We had a beautiful, private room for 5 couples, the 10-course tasting menu and wine pairing with each course. The waitress and service was great but the food was just ok. We were definitely not 'wowed' -- which is what we expected. Some courses were good but not great. Others were barely good.

Reviewed 18 September 2017 via mobile

I spent the day in Frederick and decided to walk around the Main St area and came across Volt Restaurant. I had already eaten dinner elsewhere but was so intrigued by their dessert menu I could not pass it by. So glad I did. I was able to enjoy dessert outside in their terrace and thoroughly enjoyed it...from the presentation, fresh and unique ingredients to the service. The foodie in me was so happy...yes great food just does it for me. Cant wait to return with reservations for an elegant evening of dining.

Reviewed 17 September 2017

The atmosphere was nice. The service was good -- professional but not stiff. The wine list is pretty comprehensive and has some very good choices, though the markups are, in some cases, more than I think they should be. The food was very good. Interesting preparations, creativity, something for everyone (meat, fish, vegetarian, etc.). And it all seemed very fresh. But the portions were too small, other than deserts. I would have liked more food. There are lots of excellent restaurants these days that also feed you enough food that you leave full. I might try one of those next time. For $300 +, for two, I should leave reasonably full. But, still, Volt was a good experience.