“Saturday Mornings @ Dublin Roasters”
Review of Volt

Volt
Reserve with OpenTable
Volt is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #14 of 409 Restaurants in Frederick
Price range: US$31 - US$50
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Between 2nd and 3rd Street
Description: VOLT offers guests a menu of modern American cuisine. The focus of our cuisine is based on classic flavor combinations, creating sophisticated dishes that emphasize purity and seasonal flavors that are based on fundamental and innovative cooking techniques. VOLT's relationship with local artisan farmers ensures availability of products to fulfill the philosophy behind the menu, in a refined, historic venue where classic meets modern. By design, the restaurant follows along the original footprint of the mansions first floor parlors. Both the 38 seat main dining room and the bar/lounge open off the foyer. The original mosaic tile in the foyer was the inspiration behind the warm monochromatic color palette that adorns the finishes in VOLT. Private dining can be hosted in the conservatory offering views of the expansive courtyard. The 700 square foot kitchen afforded space to include up to 20 guests.
Reviewed 9 November 2017 via mobile

Dublin Roasters is hands down my favourite cafe outside the main downtown Frederick (Market Street and close surrounding area). It is a "destination cafe." Always full of interesting and engaged people, the atmosphere is fabulous. Saturdays a French speaking group hangs there, eats, drinks, and is merry. Sometimes on weekends they have live music. The decor is wonderful, everchanging and always has local artist offerings for sale. The house coffee is excellent and endless! But my favourite dish - that I eat only at Dublins, is the Foxy Loxy! It is a salmon and lox bagel that is so good, every single mouthful is heaven. I often share it, so when I do, I ask for half of both the top and the bottom of the bagel because that makes it perfect! Service is quick, extremely friendly and the atmosphere is lovely. Dogs are loved and welcomed here. There is both inside and outside seating so there is always a place to sit. Dublin is very clued in to the community and all its happenings and promotes, but does not ever push specific causes. They have got the perfect balance of food, fun and community.

Reviewed 18 October 2017

This place has always been worth the trek from DC, and I still consider it superior to the restaurants this chef has now added in DC. The attentive staff will be the first exceptional experience you notice, and then the food will just blow you away! There is not one thing on the menu that will give you a bad experience, so order away and enjoy!

Reviewed 14 October 2017

We had a really great experience when we dined here. We were there as a couple and had an early reservation, right around the time they opened. I prefer eating either early or late so it's not crazy. Not sure how attentive the service is during the rush times but it was very attentive for us early in the evening on a Sunday. Attentive but without being overly formal.

We ordered the tasting menu and had a great variety of very tasty and beautifully plated dishes. I only ordered an a la carte glass of wine so I can't speak to the wine pairings. The waitress suggested a very nice dry white for me that I enjoyed.

We had an interesting amuse bouche - small round puffs of green onion meringue with dots of red onion glace and a dill sprig, filled with a foie gras mousse. This was actually one of my favorite dishes of the evening, and it was just the amuse! It melted in my mouth, the flavors were wonderfully balanced.

Our favorites were the savory duck carbonara, the beet salad, hangar steak (with onions, brown butter, and pickled leeks - fantastic flavor combinations and tender, medium rare done beef), and the passionfruit/mango/black sesame dessert. The chocolate-cinnamon ganache was also very tasty.

I didn't love the yellowfin tuna tartare. It was served with very large chunks and the chunks were tough to chew. I had some issues trying to eat this dish. I also didn't love the foie gras dish. The strawberry/pistachio combination was somehow cloyingly sweet. The presentation was beautiful though.

We finished with cups of coffee which was lovely and strong, good quality. They brought us out a pre-dessert consisting of a toasted coconut-rolled pineapple sorbet with toasted marshmallow. It was pretty good. They also followed up dessert with a dish of petit fours, and then a homemade chocolate chip cookie to take home.

The dining room never got packed or overly loud. I don't know if they stagger their reservations to accomplish this, or if the acoustics are just really good. The restrooms were pretty and modern, right by the kitchen.

Overall this was a fantastic experience and the dishes have multiple layers of complementary flavors that add to their experience. We would love to return, but it can't be frequent because it's on the pricey side. A great overall experience for us.

Reviewed 13 October 2017 via mobile

We visited Volt for a fun dinner experience knowing it would be a bit pricey. We decided to go all in with the 10 course tasting menu and wine package. Every course was delicious and the wine pairing equally so. It was the most expensive dinner we've ever had though so be warned! As an aside, since we don't live in Frederick, we opted to stay at a small B&B called 10 Clark place which was in walking distance. Good thing since the wine package equaled 5 glasses of wine! We would go to Volt again but not often. It's a special experience.

Reviewed 9 October 2017

Service: A+ Just enough elegance without being stuffy. Just enough friendliness from the server to be enjoyable without feeling like you were BFFs.

Drinks: B When the server brought the drinks menu, he spoke of the excellent cocktails offered. Then he said, “In addition to these, we can also make a mimosa or bloody mary.” Well…the bloody mary tasted like an afterthought. It wasn’t bad, but it was as pedestrian a bloody mary as that you would get on an airplane: totally drinkable, but memorable for its anonymity. In an establishment with food this good, they should drop it from the menu if they can’t do better. Certainly not worth the $10 price tag.

Food: A+ We chose the three-course brunch not being able to imagine how anyone could eat their five-course version in one sitting. That said, it looks amazing. But we should start with the breadsticks that come to the table while you peruse the drinks menu. Beautifully fresh and dusted with fennel and sea salt. They didn’t last long.
After ordering, staff came around with a choice of fresh chive and cheddar biscuits or bacon and sage rolls with an excellent butter that I suspect was local. We chose one of each and could have made a meal from them. Clearly, there is a master baker on the premises.

For a first course, one of us ordered the smoked salmon on sourdough toast with cream cheese, radishes, and pickled onion. The other ordered the heirloom tomato with burrata cheese, balsamic, and pickled herbs. The tomato was spectacular, but the winner was the salmon which was some of the best I had ever tasted.

For the second course, one ordered the malted French toast with apples, maple syrup and a walnut granola which was thoroughly enjoyed. We were a bit surprised, though that, for the price paid, the plate had only one slice of French toast. I ordered the waffle with hollandaise, poached egg and hot sauce. The eggs were nearly perfect, the hollandaise was wonderfully rich, the waffles were perfect for mopping up the egg, hot sauce, and hollandaise. Note that we both also ordered a side of house bacon – large strips of a delicious Applewood-smoked bacon that had been candied in raw sugar. This side order is a MUST GET if you eat pork.

We ended up with three desserts as the chef send out one special dessert in honor of my guest’s birthday – a pineapple semifreddo rolled in toasted coconut with a still smoking torched meringue on the side…and a birthday candle. My guest had also ordered the blueberry coffeecake with bay leaf ice cream and blueberry compote which was declared to be excellent. I ordered the cheese plate which came with a generous portion of Humboldt Fog goat’s cheese paired with what I think was apple butter, dried figs, and bits of honeycomb. All those were paired with a delicious French-press coffee.

Bottom line: A+ Brunch at Volt is not cheap, but it is well within the range of a good brunch with cocktails at many DC establishments. The fact that it was one of the best brunch food experiences I have ever had makes it well worth an occasional trip up to Frederick, MD. We certainly look forward to next time.