“Sunshine”

Sunshine Holiday Resort
Ranked #7 of 19 Hotels in Ovacik
Reviewed 3 September 2017

Our second visit and once again just as good. Tahoe,Emyre,Apoo and Cargo are excellent ambassadors for the hotel.Theviews are stunning. The guests we met were great so thanks to Paul,Bernie and their children and Matt,Lisa and their children. Hisaranu is a short distance and is a fantastic place. Thankyou again the people of Turkey. Only bug bear was the food which seemed to cater for the coach parties that arrived on route to various other destinations.

Room Tip: All rooms have unbelievable views
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
2  Thank Neal O

Reviewed 31 August 2017 via mobile

It's time again for my annual review of the Sunshine Holiday Resort and as the title suggest it's the best yet! We have now stayed there for 6 years in a row and have watched the hotel grow from a tiny place to the impressive complex it now is! The owner Ishan and his developing team have succeeded in expanding the place, at times not without problems, but I'm happy to say this year they have nailed it! The whole place oozes efficiency, staff are attentive and helpful in all areas. The pool area is constantly being cleaned, glasses etc removed. In the restaurant, tureens are instantly replaced once empty, coffee and juice machines are instantly refilled, tables are cleared constantly. No matter what time you choose to eat there is always plenty to eat. This is in spite of the fact that the hotel has to bring in Turkish tourists for extra revenue since there are far less Brits in Ovacik this year. I can't imagine any other hotel in the area which can feed so many people and still provide a pleasant laid back dining experience. All areas in the hotel are clean and well maintained and it is superb value for money. You only have to read my previous reviews to see what an idyllic location the hotel is in. In spite of the expansion of the hotel, it has still maintained its tranquility and is never in your face. There is a busy entertainment team in there, but the guys are never in your face and will leave you a if that's what you want. We have stayed in various parts of Turkey and in several places in Ovacik /Hisaronu, but the Sunshine still remains my little bit of paradise and probably always will. Book it now and preferably book it direct. Why give a tour operator a cut of the profits that should go to the hotel, times are tough enough in Turkey as it is. Well done Ishan and team and thanks!

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
3  Thank kwashi301
Reviewed 28 August 2017

We spent 2 weeks here in July with family and friends (10 of us). The food was great, plenty of it and varied every day. We never had an issue getting 10 sunbeds all together which is not always the case in other hotels we've stayed in. The best thing about this hotel was the staff. They were all amazing and so friendly, chatty and helpful. The entertainment team of Emre and Apoo made the holiday for us! My 13 and 16 year old children loved them and joined in all of the daily activities on offer including darts, killer pool and water polo. They knew all the kids names and really made an effort with everyone. Really can't say enough about how fab they were.
The bar staff do an amazing job and work so hard too. Hisaronu is great for shopping or having a meal out for a change of scenery. We went on a boat trip which was well worth the money we paid and included a fab lunch. Love Turkey and loved this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank nickyp8
Reviewed 28 August 2017

I should probably start by saying that we are veterans of Turkish holidays for the past 8 years, so it is no surprise to us to see electrical cables hanging in sinks or views of mountains from one window with views of an overflowing bin from the other....if you know Turkey, you know what I mean.
In spite of the normal total lack of health and safety (which most of us quite like) the Sunshine Holiday resort was tremendously lacking in comparison with a number of the other hotels in the vicinity.
Starting with the good stuff - the reception desk staff are friendly and welcoming, a sandwich for a late arrival and the lovely Begun (not sure if I have spelled that correctly) behind the desk. Very friendly entertainments staff and the bar manager is nothing short of a true gentleman for whom nothing was too much trouble.
I love Turkish food and this was not lacking, every day was a treat of grilled fish, fresh vegetables, olives, cheeses, stuffed peppers etc. So I loved the food, however, for those who like nuggets and chips and pizzas (ie English food) there were lots of complaints at lack of quality and variety.
So, that's the good stuff. The hotel is in Ovacik, there is nothing much in Ovacik. There is a hot dusty walk to some (very nice) restaurants and bars, and Hisaronu is a 7-8 minute taxi (£3) away for its lively shops and restaurants and bars. Equally, Fethiye and Oludeniz are only 20 mins by taxi (or slightly longer but much cheaper by Dolmus) for lovely days out in beautiful places.
reports say that Hisaronu is 5 mins walk away. Its not, I walk fast and it was a good half hour in +40degrees - no good for anyone but the fit and healthy.
We were given a "delux rooftop apartment". These are huge rooms with a balcony and bath. However, we are a family of four, all in one room. there is one tiny airconditioner unit which is totally insufficient and was unable to bring the stifling room down in temperature at all. It wasn't faulty, just no where near strong enough for the huge, hot room - this is the case with all the "delux rooftop suites". The rooftop apartments are up three flights of stairs. On day 2, the lift broke down, it was still broken almost 3 weeks later when we left.
We were messed about with a number of other similar rooms, but again it was impossible to cool them - I have never had this problem in Turkey before, but its clear that they just need to install brand new aircon throughout.
Eventually we were moved to a ground floor room which was cooler and had two airconditioning units. (they lent us a fan one night but it was the only one in the hotel so we couldn't keep it). My exhausted family and I accepted but were told it would cost another £600!!!!! After much arguing we compromised on £300 for the duration (I could have got a better hotel for this price).
The room stank of damp and you can not control the open drain in the bathroom or the smell that comes up from it. We bought bleach and air freshener plugins and scrubbed the whole place down which helped a bit. We also took the filters out of the aircon and you could see they had never been cleaned (it takes 10 seconds to rinse them under a tap) - I dread to think of the level of infected dead skin blowing around before we did this - no wonder people get ill on holiday.
There are 4 pools. 2 private pools for the swim up rooms and 1 very small adult pool by the road and looking over the bins. then there is the main pool - sadly no slides for the kids which is unusual for Turkey. The pool was often dirty compared to other pools in Turkey and it was cleaned at night by pouring in gallons of chlorine, but I never saw anyone ever test the water and it always looked murky!!
The pool toilets are the worst I have ever seen, inches deep in pee in the mens and hot like a sauna, leaking pipes, big holes in the wall from earlier repairs. The smell from these toilets comes up in waves over you while you sit by the pool.
The pool area itself has plenty of sunbeds - mainly because the vast majority of patrons are Turkish and they don't seem to sit around the pool as much as we English do.
The pool area was always dirty and never seemed to be clean. One day a small child poo'd on the floor by the pool. After several complaints and about an hour a staff member took a dirty mop and moved the poo around over several meters before pushing it into the pool drain. The ground soon dried and the smell lasted for hours. No bleach or similar were used.....

The "all inclusive" isn't really. You get beer and local spirits but these stop at 11 - we thought this would be fine as we have younger children, but the entertainment doesn't really start until 8pm, so 11 is upon you by the time the shows are finished and then you cant get a drink without paying.

You get breakfast at breakfast time, cake and coffee at 5, snacks in the afternoon, dinner at 7:30. But you cant get what you want when you want it and this was a pain. Often we would fancy a late snack after a long day, or would be hungry for a sandwich at 5 but you cant get these. There is a shop but it is almost completely empty save crisps and beer and blow up lilos for the pool....

Only one bar is ever open. If the bar in the restaurant is open, the pool bar is shut, if the pool bar is open, the restaurant is shut, they even turn off the coffee machines which seems pretty silly to me as you then have to walk across the place to get a coffee, when if should be available right there.....

The entertainment is OK (though the same as every year in every hotel in the region) and the kids enjoy it.

For parts of the holiday, we were the only English family there. I love Turkish people and speak a little Turkish so this wasn't a problem, but our queueing, manners, approach are often different and I know some English people felt quite uncomfortable when people barged past them or closed a door when their wife was trying to walk through (or shouting at the staff etc). Its just a different way, but this is very much a Turkish hotel for Turkish people.

The enterainments team worked very hard and Apoo was very good. Emre was funny, though I couldn't understand what he was supposed to be doing. Everyone else just seemed to sit around. There is a spa, but it is miles away from being as good as many others very near by.

I had a great holiday and met some great people, because the sun was shining, we eventually had a cool room to sleep in and we went out several evenings to change things up.

There are much better hotels and I would recommend Hiaronu over Ovacik if only for the sake of convenience.

People who rate this hotel higher than a 2 really need to try some of the other hotels nearby.

In summary, the hardworking entertainments and customer service staff are what make a great holiday even in a place like this. So I was very distressed to see that, for 2 nights, they were made to sleep outside on the stage on sunbed mattresses when the hotel let their rooms out to guests. It is pretty appalling, though they didn't complain.

Do yourself a favour and have a great holiday in this beautiful part of Turkey but don't choose the Sunshine.

Sunshine Holiday Resort - I would STRONGLY suggest, you get some English people to advise you on the hotel, with a little bit of work, this could be a great place, but the standards of cleaning and the way it runs will not attract English customers without some improvements.

Oh - the main pool has very loud party music playing from 10am every day (relentlessly) this didn't bother me, but several people staying near the pool said it drove them a bit mad......

Room Tip: Downstairs - away from the pool...
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
9  Thank louise l
Reviewed 25 August 2017 via mobile

Probably the best 2 weeks I've ever had. Stunning balcony views, situated approximately 15 min walk from the town, couldn't of asked for more from the hotel. The food is great with a variety of choice. The room was perfect for me and my girlfriend, lots of space, superb air con as well as balcony space with tables and chairs. The bar is perfectly located right next to the pool and is ideal if you are all inclusive. The staff made the holiday, especially my good friends the entertainment team, Emre, Apoo and Gamze who are around 24/7 with games and things to do. As well the receptionists who all would go out of their way to ensure everything is okay and we're enjoying ourselves. I'd like to thank Tahir and Begum who would stop and chat every time we walked through reception. Overall all staff made sure we had a memorable time. Hotel is very clean and very well maintained. Could not fault it a single bit and would highly recommend to anyone.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank jaywoodfield98
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ovacik
1.1 km away
1.8 km away
Ocean Blue High Class Hotel
1.8 km away
Sahra Su Holiday Village & Spa

Been to Sunshine Holiday Resort? Share your experiences!