All reviewsbase campice cream shopless moneysmall bathroomrooms are cleanlodging optionsno tv or phonehot waterdown the roadafter a long dayother guestsshort drivemt rainier national parkclimbersloggerswifioutfitters
Reviewed 2 August 2018

Whittaker Bunkhouse was the perfect place for our family! Rooms are clean, prices are modest, and a cafe and grill restaurant served us great breakfast, lunch and dinner! The service was outstanding!! Friendly and accomodating! The have a staff member who specializes knowledge of the park helped us with hiking maps and suggestions! We are so grateful! Would definately go again!

Stayed: July 2018, travelled with family
WhittakersBH, Owner at Whittaker's Motel and Historic Bunkhouse, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Thank you for staying with us. We look forward to your return!

Reviewed 27 July 2018 via mobile

Built in 1908 and shows it, not renovated since 1990’s. Small 10 x 12 room with twin beds. No air, no TV, inadequate lighting and electrical outlets. Left after one of two prepaid nights and sought more suitable room.

Stayed: July 2018
Reviewed 18 July 2018 via mobile

We cancelled our reservation via a phone call to the front desk 3 days prior to visit. The girl at the front desk said no problem, we will get it rebooked as we are sold out. She tried to hang up before asking my name, room number and date of visit. I stopped her and gave all my info and asked specifically if she was going to take care of it. She said yes. The in classic Whittaker reputation style I was called days later asking why we did not show up and having my card charged $133. They have a 14 day cancel policy which I understand, but it is apparent the girl at the front desk did nothing after we hung up. Very disappointed. Will never book here or recommend.

Stayed: July 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 July 2018

Stayed 2 nights in a bunk space in middle of July. Space is nicely laid out with a bunk bed on the main floor, and 4 individual twin beds in the attic. Main floor also has a small seating area, a separate shower, and bathroom. Location has no AC, but was cool enough with windows open. During stay only saw other roommates 3 times. Bunkmates used it as a place to sleep, shower, and then leave for a day of hiking. I was able to have lower bunk bed room all to myself due to beds not being sold. Bed comes with cover sheet and a pillow. You are responsible for bring top sheet/comforter/sleeping bag to keep you warm. I would suggest bringing a pillow as they were not great. Bunkmates also forgot to lock doors after leaving so would not leave anything valuable in the room. For $35 a night it is a great deal if you are looking for a place to sleep then get out for the day. Worked perfectly for a weekend hiking trip.

• Stayed: July 2018, travelled solo
Reviewed 15 July 2018

What I liked most about Whittaker's was the overall setting of the property. The Motel and Lodge sits next to the Basecamp Bar and Grill and a Mountain Outfitter for the serious climbers and mountaineers, There is a coffee and ice cream shop as part of the motel, so it is a great place to come home to after a long day on the mountain. It is important to know that there are different accommodations on site. My review is speaking about one of the large rooms of the lodge a separate detached building from the hotel. The accommodation was two separate bedrooms attached to the bathroom in a "Jack and Jill" configuration. That allowed for our girls to have a separate room from us which they thought was a cool attribute. Both rooms had access doors so that could be a little unnerving for some families. The bath had basic amenities, with towel, soap, and shampoo. The lodge appears to be four of these large rooms converted to accommodate families or larger groups. The breakfast offering at the shop is microwaved egg, sausage, and cheese in the preferred bagel, or English muffin. Toaster warmed frozen waffles are also available. All in all, I would consider staying here again if we were visiting Mt. Rainier. I cannot speak for the small room or bunkhouse which are actually attached to the hotel.

Room Tip: Depends greatly on your needs
  • Stayed: July 2018, travelled with family