Open today: Closed
Review Highlights
Great experience

Visited the druids for an evening meal and drinks, not been for a few months due to the recent... read more

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Reviewed 4 weeks ago
Les-Way
Holywell, United Kingdom
via mobile

All reviews sunday lunch an evening meal my partner druids landlady gravy pub dog
Selected filters
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Now that we're able to go back inside the Druid, it's clear that they've not been idle during the last lockdown. They've clearly spent time redecorating, they've done a little rationalising, and they've give the pub a lighter and fresher feel.

Some things have stayed the same - the warm atmosphere and the faultless cask ale (genuinely, it's rare to see such crisp, bright hand-pulled beer, but to see it on every visit is, I think, almost unique).

Other things have changed. There are new staff, but they're just as friendly and engaging as before. And there's a new menu in the restaurant. Sorry, that's understating it.

There's a thoroughly new, broader, menu that is definitely 'gastropub', rather than 'pub grub'. That's not to say it's excessively fancy, and the portions are certainly not miniscule one-mouthful-and-it's-gone. You can order fish and chips, for example, but it will be fish and chips you'll remember, and will make you wonder "how did the chef make the batter like that?" and "I thought crushed peas would be boring, but... wow!". And that's only the start. Try the steak and ale pie! Or the Morroccan lamb with pomegranate rice.

I'm very lucky that I live fairly close to the Druid, but it's become a place I'd happily drive a good distance to, just for dinner- or better still, take a taxi to, and enjoy a couple of pints as well!

Date of experience: May 2021
Reviewed 29 September 2020 via mobile

We came on Sunday just minutes after Sunday lunch service had ended, this wasnt an issue and we were served promptly, we came with our noisy one year old and small dog, the staff were very attentive and provided biscuits for our hungry dog Rambo, although he was more interested in the beautiful roast beef and incredible gravy we were eating, nothing was too much trouble at the Druid, and we will definitely go again! Dog and child friendly is an understatement!! So welcoming !

Date of experience: September 2020
Reviewed 7 September 2020 via mobile

My partner and I phoned The Druids as a last minute decision because we couldn’t be bothered cooking! The staff were very warm and accommodating. Upon arrival, COVID precautions were explained clearly but not in an ‘authoritative’ manner. Straight away we were made to feel very welcome. We had a choice where to sit and ordered drinks. They arrived in quick time. I had a pint of Thwaites’s Druids and it was perfect. The landlady and landlord certainly know how to look after their beer! Menus were given and orders taken, in good time and without a rush. As each course arrived the food continued to be delicious and service was fantastic. I had the black pudding stack, followed by sea bass on a noodle bed as a main and chocolate orange cheese cake for dessert. Each dish being perfect. Staff always were on hand, when needed. Their manner and service being second to none. We were asked whether we felt safe and comfortable, with this being quite soon after post lockdown opening. The Druids has always given us a warm welcome but even more so in such difficult times. The staff are clearly going above and beyond during such difficult times. I would like to thank them sincerely for ensuring we had a lovely evening, with great food. Keep up the brilliant work.

Date of experience: September 2020
Reviewed 21 February 2020 via mobile

My partner and I called in for an evening meal on Thursday, 20th February. As usual the Druids was warm and welcoming - a ‘proper pub’. The staff were extremely helpful, cheery and professional. We were genuinely made to feel welcome. We ordered drinks and then shown to our table, next to a homely, real fire. Service was faultless and timings between courses perfect. The food matched the welcome - perfect. The owners work hard to give a homely welcome and are striving to be the hub of the community - sadly something many communities no longer have. Dogs are welcome in all areas except the formal restaurant part. Personally, I think a good pub needs dogs. The landlord came for a lovely, friendly chat as we were waiting between courses. Well done to all at the Druids and keep up the great work. I only wish I lived within close walking distance and I’d never be out of there!

Date of experience: February 2020
Reviewed 20 October 2019 via mobile

Our second visit to the Druid, this time on a Saturday lunchtime.
A warm welcome, friendly staff and a pleasant atmosphere.
The food and service were first class..
Highly recommended...