“Changed”

Sherman Hines Museum of Photography
Ranked #13 of 19 things to do in Liverpool
Reviewed 27 September 2015 via mobile

This museum has been changed to a new entry to the Astor Theater and a display of Indian art. The artwork emphasize the Micmaw works. There is no longer any photography equipment in this building.

Reviewed 23 July 2015

We traveled from Halifax to Liverpool for the sole purpose of visiting the Sherman Hines Photography Museum.

We were astounded that there was no signage at all to help find the building. It wasn't until we had pulled into the Cultural Centre/Library's back parking lot that we saw a sandwich board that said, "photography museum."

We entered the building (it was after noontime) and the lady working got up and turned on some lights. At the door, there was a piece of paper taped to the glass stating that the museum was open Tues-Fri. This is not the info on ANY of the websites. Luckily, we were there on a Tuesday.

We were then charged $5/person to enter. I am a photographer and wanted to see the display so we got ready to pay and were told that THEY DON'T ACCEPT CREDIT OR DEBIT as payment. Only cash. We didn't have any cash on us and told the lady that we were surprised by this. Her response (and I'm not lying!) was, "THAT'S NOT MY PROBLEM!" We turned and left.

If my husband had, had his way, we wouldn't have returned...but I wanted to see the photography display. So, we found a bank, withdrew the $ and went back. The woman was terse and unfriendly, but did give us some direction. I asked particularly about the photo exhibit and she told me that most of it was still in boxes because they had just moved from being two buildings to one.

For the most part, the exhibits were fine, although not anything I am particularly interested in and wouldn't have paid $5 to see. All except for the photography exhibit which was disappointing. There were a few framed shots and a bunch of old cameras. I'm assuming the things I wanted to see are all still in boxes.

Everything seemed old and run down; dusty and uncared for. When we turned on the display light for one of the exhibits, I was keenly interested in the vast number of cobwebs inside the display. The bluenose display had "model men" that have tumbled over and not been picked up. The buildings outside, like the Hunting Cabin and Maud Lewis' house are open to the elements. The flags hanging outside of the museum were a disgrace.

Mainly the attitude of the woman at the museum was the worse part, but overall, I doubt I would recommend this museum to anyone.

Later that day we visited the Liverpool Community Museum at the Perkins house and received a much better welcome, were offered more help, saw almost as many cameras and they simply asked for a donation.

3  Thank Judealou
Reviewed 19 February 2015

I went to Brooks with Sherman, does wonderful work, and the Museum is Great, filled with great photographs and wonderful fruniture

Reviewed 19 August 2014

This museum covers much more than photography.
While this maybe an attraction for Sherman Hines fans and certainly won't disappoint. It also holds much more to offer in way of interests.
Full of History, Art, Mi'kmaq, Maud Lewis, very interesting and all featured here.
Outside grounds are equally interesting as the inside.

For a small fee, it is a great way to spend at least an hour in Liverpool.

1  Thank jocosa