Benmiller Inn & Spa
Harmony Inn(Goderich)
US$92
Maple Leaf Motel(Goderich)(Great Value!)
US$85
Cedar Lodge Motel(Goderich)(Great Value!)
US$85
US$69
Dreamz Inn(Goderich)
US$136
US$132
The Ashwood Inn(Bayfield)(Great Value!)
US$104
All reviewsmain buildinggledhill housedining roomthe riverhot tubold millconservation areacrepesselect roomsmall balconydifferent buildingsbuffet breakfastwedding guestsrelaxing experiencefine diningbeautiful spotromantic weekend
Reviewed 30 January 2012

I think the hype on this Inn and Spa exceeds the reality by a fair bit though the restaurant deserves 4-5 stars.
Admittedly a visit in winter probably doesn't play to the natural strengths of this site and the beauty of the river and surrounding forests. The facility is a group of historic buildings with all the charm you would expect but little of the upgraded infrastructure needed to make them really shine. Case in point...........our bathroom lighting was wired from the ground fault receptacle next to the sink which needed to be routinely reset to allow for lighting, not sure if this is legal, but at the least not a good engineering practice. Water in the shower was sketchy at best, clearly not pressure balanced which made moderating water temperature for my morning shower a challenge at the best. The room was nice and large,with a great bed and bedding though the rest of the fixtures were dated and worn. My overall impression was that they used a local "handyman" to maintain the sites vs professional tradespersons.
Dinner in the restaurant was great though our server was a bit "off". The breakfast buffet the next morning was stellar with a great variety of tasty treats making it a super way to start the day. I will return (perhaps not to stay over) to see the site during the summer/fall as I suspect the setting will be awesome and I liked the location of the restaurant patio overlooking the river.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 December 2011

We arrived less than an hour before the Gooderich tornado devasted portions of the Benmiller Inn including our room. Granted the place was in chaos and uninhabitable after the tornado. And, granted, the management was deeply focussed upon responding to the devastation and to free us from a forest of downed trees, damaged vehicles and terrifying minutes as windows shattered and pieces of roofs from several area buildings tore across the landscape. The staff di manage sandwiches and a glass of wine and a modest effort was made to find alternate accommodation. But, our complaint about Benmiller is essentially that since that terrifying experience--and there were several other affected guests--not one solitary person from the Benmiller Inn has contacted us to see how we managed and to suggest that, perhaps, given our dreadful experience there that we might be induced back again. To try and re-live our lost anniversary weekend would be imposible but to have somebody from Benmiller actually take the time and incur the effort to find out if were interested in ever visiting the place again-- the lack of caring or even concern is unforgivable. I could not recommend a place with such a mediocre attitude to guests who were traumatised,

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank NamutKwu
Reviewed 30 November 2011

I stayed at the Benmiller in for 1 night in November 2011 for a work event. The first thing that struck me was that it was a strange set up. The original hotel is situated on a small stream and is nice to look at, but it is also in a depression under the intersection of 2 public roads. The facility is also one that has many buildings and my actual room was in another building down the road. I had to walk along a highway at night (not very far) in the dark from my room to the main lodge for dinner. Dinner in the dining room was very good, there was a couple of choices for appetiser, main and desert and the food was top notch. Breakfast and lunch was also at a high standard. However the room I stayed in was dated and badly in need of renovations, think 60's motel 6! To be fair, they were working on renovating the entire complex, but the work is slow as they are having trouble getting trades people due to the work going on nearby in Goderich after the tornado. There is also a lot of trees down around the Inn and they have been obviously working on getting those taken care of as well. I hope the renovations dont take too long and they get back to what was once known as a top place to stay. P.S. The wifi worked fine in the main lodge, but at my room I could get comnnected to the system, but was unable to open any internet pages on my ipad. Due to the location I also could not get a useable 3G connection on the ipad on rogers. My Bell Phone only worked if I stood outside.

Room Tip: Stay in the main lodge
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Stv50
Reviewed 8 November 2011

I found the inn simply by following the signs coming into Goderich even though it was pitch black at 5:30! (Welcome standard time) Given the spiral staircase the friendly front desk woman helped me with my bags. The room is comfy and cozy and it is so quiet outside as only the country can be.

Dinner in the dining room was exceptional for such a seemingly small place and even though I was the only one in the dining room for most of the time I felt warm and comfortable by the window and service was also exceptional.

Thanks Benmiller Inn!

• Stayed: November 2011
1  Thank KatieToronto
Reviewed 28 October 2011

I needed a quick getaway and Benmiller Inn was the perfect spot. The Inn itself has a wonderful history. Unfortunately, the Inn received some damage in the tornado, but the rooms that were open were cozy and rustic. The Inn is showing it's age and could use a little TLC, but the atmosphere more than makes up for it. The food is fantastic. I will be back!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo