“New Water Slide”

Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort
Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in Wailea
Reviewed 19 April 2012

Went to Maui for Spring Break with our 10 and 12 year old and stayed at the Grand Wailea. This is our 2nd stay at the resort. Beautiful as it was the first time. When we checked in we saw a new feature from the top of the stairs that was very odd looking and something that our kids were blown away. Its a water ride from New Zealand called a Fishpipe. Kids rode it 3 days in a row....wife and I did it once and it was different than anything I had ever ridden. No other resort has one of these machines. It along with the slides, water elevator, and pools made our trip to Maui both fun, entertaining, and relaxing. Just what we all needed! Mahalo Grand Wailea!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank John S

Reviewed 19 April 2012

Went to the Grand Wailea with my parents, they have an awesome new waterslide, I rode it all day long with my friends. There are only 12 in the world and this was the first one ever at a resort. I can't wait to go back and ride the FISHPIPE again!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Jason B
Reviewed 18 April 2012

The pools and beach were great for family. We loved the decor and the amenities of the building, but our suite was directly under the concierge lounge, and we were awakened every morning at 5am by staff rolling carts and banging trays setting up the breakfast over our room. The concierge lounge food was great in the morning and the evening, but we were not lucky with our room location. The main restaurant was great for breakfast too. Everything there was beautiful. It's very hard to get lounge chairs near the pool where you can see your kids swimming, though. Concierge floor staff was great, the rest of the staff was just ok.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 April 2012

We stayed at The Grand Wailea during Spring Break, to say it was an enjoyable, restful, relaxing family holiday would be a disservice to anyone looking to stay here during any busy holiday time. It was a nightmare from start to finish. If you like getting up at 6.30am to secure a sunbed by the pool or the beach then this will be your perfect destination. If you enjoy queuing for an hour to get seated at breakfast then go right ahead and book this hotel. I have never seen so many unhappy, stressed and angry vacationers anywhere in my life, and goodness me there are a lot of guests in this hotel so there were plenty to see. The hotel itself was clean and well presented however the lack of adequate facilities for the size was staggering. What is really scary is the fact that this hotel is in the process of attempting to gain permission for a 300 room additional building. I am sorry to say that although I will return to beautiful Maui I will never return to The Grand Wailea.

Stayed: April 2012
16  Thank Jo A
blynx1, Manager at Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 18 April 2012

Aloha, We would like to thank you for your review of the hotel. Some of the issues you encountered do not reflect the high level of service and aloha that we are known for. We will address the issues that you mentioned and appreciate your valuable feedback.

We would like to inform guests who are reading this that Maui and our resort are often extremely busy during this Spring Break/Easter period, we indeed staff up for it and all our team members try and make each guests experience a special one, sometimes there are lines, usually short and we try to take action as soon as we realize there is a delay in services. In reference to pool chairs, we do have chairs available most all the time, they may not always be where guests would prefer to sit (poolside), however, we do try and accommodate all requests.

We appreciate the feedback always.

Reviewed 16 April 2012

Alright let's get started with a list of terrible spring break experiences. First of all if you want a sun bed get up at 3am and start campfire because you might need one to keep warm to wait in line all those hours before they actually let you fight for the sunbeds. If you do want a sunbed by the ocean you will have to pay a little bit extra for those, but yet you still have to wait in line. Breakfast was an absolute disgrace you would have to wait in a line which ran about 50 feet from the front of the line where you give your name then you'd have to wait in another long line for your table. I also went to the so called famous Luau all it consisted of was some pretty average food, but I thought the performance was quite interesting. All in all this was probably my worst holiday we had to fight for sunbeds literally. I don't think I will ever go back to Grand Wailea or any Hilton resort. The scary thing about this is that I read in a local newspaper that they're thinking of adding an extra 300 rooms to this resort which could really scare me for other people staying there in the future. I would not recommend this resort to anyone please do not stay here.

Room Tip: Get up at 4am if you want a sun bed