“Resort has definite pros and cons”

Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort
Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in Wailea
Reviewed 31 August 2008

Ok so I went here with my family back in December 2007 for 7 days but I thought I would post real quick as when planning a trip any information is appreciated. My husband, daughter (3 years old) , son (8 months) and my husband’s mother, grandmother and brother and his family were also there. We had a room far away from our other family members which was both nice and a pain at the same time. Unfortunately for us we arrived in Maui smack dab in the middle of a 2 week tropical storm and pretty much spent the week in clouds and lots of rain. This however was ok and hey it is Hawaii so it can’t be that bad right? We survived a major tropical storm that pounded the resort and knocked out electricity for one and a half days. Half of the resort was flooded, some ground floor rooms started taking in water, the pools were closed almost the entire stay and the sand at the beach was totally gone during this day and a half. As you can see it was a very brutal (and uncommon) storm.

Pros: The hotel is located in a beautiful area, to me Wailea is much more quiet and nice than Kannapali (sp?). The beach was beautiful (pre storm and post storm once the currents brought the sand back) and the water is a beautiful color. Our room was on the 2nd floor and had a gorgeous view of the ocean. We loved to sit out on the lanai and watch the ocean and listen to the waves. Our room had a king bed (very comfy) and a pull out couch and the bathroom was really big and nice. I loved the complimentary toiletries and usually I am not into these. They just smelled really nice and the lotion was great, like I said not a big deal to most people;) We ordered a fridge for the week (cost $25) and before driving to the resort we stopped off at Costco and stocked up on water, soda and snacks. This was so nice to have cold drinks for everyone and this is a resort which obviously means not only Hawaiian prices but resort Hawaiian prices:) Just come prepared for the cost of food and you will really enjoy your trip. The first day we had sticker shock and towards the end of the vacation we would get our lunch bill (for 2 hamburgers with fries and 2 sodas) and say oh good that meal was only $40- bargain!

Cons: Valet parking is very expensive if you are staying the week, I want to say $15 a day plus tip but the self parking is ridiculous! It is really really far away and there are not that many spots available so you are sort of forced to use the valet. The hotel definitely needs some freshening up, it looked outdated but we were told they were in the process of renovating. The breakfast buffet was a nightmare and there was always a line wrapped around the courtyard (in the copious rain). We always ended up eating at the café for breakfast and the food there was ok. They had a really good pizza deal there for dinner- 1 large pizza, 2 drinks and cinnamon twists for $25. The pools were only open the first day we were there and they closed a few hours after we arrived and due to checking in and me watching my baby I never got to use the pools. Boohoo. My husband took my daughter and said the slides, swings and water elevator were fun. Unfortunately with all the rain/flooding the pools remained closed for the rest of the week. The service at this hotel was not so great, all the staff seemed surly. They of course were surprised by the severity of the storm and the power going out but they could have handled it much better. It was kind of chaotic at best and many guest were irate and left the hotel.

In conclusion I loved Wailea, storm and all, but if I returned I would probably stay at the Four Seasons. The rooms look nicer and their pool is built up higher, so if there was another storm the pool would not have to close for the week. The Grand Wailea has beautiful grounds, really it is just gorgeous, but for sure I would like to try out another hotel, that has a reputation for better service.

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank sjalex20

Reviewed 30 August 2008

Some of the reviews would make you think there are two different parts of the hotel...while we haven;t stayed in every resort in Hawaii, this is the best so far out of 4 resorts at different islands...the place was immaculate, room was very clean, no signs of wear and large enough for 2 adults with 2 adult teenagers. Didnt see the problems others claim and were at the resort at almost the same time. As a Diamond VIP, we were upgraded to the 9th (top floor) with a full ocean view...was a great view, the staff were very nice, place was very clean...grounds were well kept. Like any other resort, food and drink are pricey but unlike other resorts you get free parking, free internet, no daily resort fee which can be anywhere from 10-25 dollars per day. I normally wouldn't say that I would like to return to a particular place just cause we like to explore others but will return to this resort as one to go to in Maui. We stayed at the Hilton last year in Hawaii...nice but way too big and hard to get around...these grounds were laid out nicely, short walk to pools and beach, nice water front paths for daily walks..just a great place to relax...

like any other place, there is a costco nearby so loading up on drinks and snacks is worth it...

if your booked don't let the bad reviews get you down...you will be happy with your stay...enjoy!

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family
2  Thank HawTrvlr
Reviewed 28 August 2008

I truly hated this place, so much, in fact, that after two days here i ate the rest of the money and went to a different hotel on Maui. Why? Because it felt like I was living in a mall. If you like malls, or you like Vegas, and you like giant waterparks full of screaming, shoving people and you don't mind paying $17.00 so your kids can have two lemonades or paying another 10 bucks to jump off a float in the ocean, then this is the place for you. My kids loved it. It is kind of neat to swim up to a bar in a grotto through a fake waterfall, or go down a bunch of waterslides. If you like spas, it might be perfect, because your kids will be exhausting themselves while you spa it up at this giant tacky spa they've got. Me, I missed Hawaii.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with family
3  Thank malibugypsy
Reviewed 23 August 2008

I will start by saying I traded in some of my Hilton Diamond Points I had for this 3 night stay after our week in Waikiki at Hilton Hawaiian Village, so it was in essence Free for my partner and I. However as nice as I found the Hilton Hawaiian Village (and it was nice) this is definitely a step up as far as resorts go.

First, we drove up to check in, and was greeted by a valet who came up and addressed me by name (remember, I have not checked in yet nor have I ever been there before) When he asked if he had gotten it right I said yes and asked him how he knew that, and he said " I can't tell ya" but what a cool trick to make us feel welcome. When you drive up you are immediately taken by the beautiful waterfall outside the hotel, which should let you know you are walking into a place that takes their grounds very seriously. It was beautiful. The grounds are immaculate.

We checked in at the amazingly beautiful open air lobby, and was happy to find they had upgraded us to a deluxe ocean view, and was also given a 40.00 off coupon for any of the properties several restaurants.

The room itself was very nice. Was it perfect? no. But If you want a perfect hotel room, check in on a hotels grand opening so you are the first guest in the room. Otherwise expect that others before you have caused some wear and tear. The room was much larger than the room I had just spent 6 nights in at Hilton Hawaiian Village. It has a large very comfortable bed, nice little sitting area with 2 nice chairs and ottoman and a desk, entertainment center with tv. HUGE bathroom with deep tub and glass shower, and a water closet for the commode. The vanity was nice and large for all our stuff. If your expecting modern, it isn't but if you want something above a standard hotel bathroom, then you will be very happy.

Our deck overlooked the grounds and a nice view of the ocean. We had teak chairs and table on the balcony, which at night was closed off by floor to ceiling wooden shutters which glide on a track across the entire wall. nice touch rather than standard curtains. We had a wet bar in the hall and a mini bar but we never used it. Carpet was in good condition, not brand new, but didnt feel dirty either. Every night our bed was turned down and a flower laid on the pillows and the shutters were drawn as well.

Again, the grounds are amazing. The grass almost looks not real it is so perfect and cut so well. the flowers, the winding paths to the pools and the beach are just beautiful. The pools are SECOND to NONE! There had to be 8 or 9 pools all connected by water slides, lazy rivers, rope swings, a full service "swim up" bar, and a natural bottomed pool and the water was clean and the pools were manned with plenty of lifeguards. If you dont have kids, the Adult pool below the fountains is an OASIS from the craziness of the kids playing in the lower pools. It was never crowded, and I read wheere people said you had to grab chairs at 7 or you were screwed, but did not find this to be the case. I walked up at 10:30, got 2 chairs and enjoyed the pool for hours. Is the pool perfect? No. there are some tiles missing here and there, but it was still beautiful and comfortable.

Restaurants on site, I only ate at the Humuhumu with my 40.00 coupon, and my bill was still over 100.00 for 2 dinner and 2 cokes and 1 dessert.. No adult drinks, no salads. So thank goodness for the coupon, but it was still pricey so be prepared.

The beach was great, smooth, not rocky like a lot of hawaiian beaches, and the water was warm and the sunsets were stunning. Also, if your a tennis player, check out their Tennis facility just down the road.

The lobby level also boasts many many stores for your shopping needs from clothes to jewelry to fine art and a small restaurant very popular in the morning... but I can't pay 11.50 for a sausage biscuit. That aint happening. I found that if you walk or drive the super short drive to the shops at Wailea and go to Cheeseburger in Paradise for breakfast, it was very reasonable with huge portions and fantastic food... and FREE REFILLS on sodas, which you hardly find anywhere in Hawaii, especially the resort.

Parking is I think 20.00 for Valet or free to self park. Self parking is tight (small spaces) and a bit of a walk, but i dont mind the walk to save the cash. Besides, its good exercise. :-)

Overall I was extremely happy with the resort. From the mysterious greeting at the car, the fresh flower ley, the room with the view and great bathroom, and the adult pool and grounds made this a place I would love to return to and spend more time at. I did forget to take a lot of pictures of the pools and grounds, but I did an entire tour on video and have posted it on you tube search for ATL10SBUM and check out the video to get a real feel of how huge this place is.

I have read several other reviewers, and I just can't even believe some of the bad reviews I read. I almost wonder if they were somewhere else... or maybe their expectations are just waaay to high. Yes, I could nit pick the place to death and say there were cracked tiles in the hallway (it is open to the elements you know) or scuffs on the walls and base boards ( helllooo, luggage?) and that it might could use a fresh coat of paint here and there, but get past these little annoyances and I don't see how you wont leave happy. I certainly Did, and probably would have been just as happy had I been paying for it.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
8  Thank Patrick C
Reviewed 21 August 2008

Let's just say WOW! How else to discribe this place, its open grounds make you feel welcome. The entire pool area is one big playground. Start in the water elevator and swim down the four slides to the lazy river, stopping in the cave bar along the way for a drink. The food was expensive but worth the price. The way this place is set up you cannot help but have fun. You can plan on parking your car because you wont want to leave. With the mall next door you have plenty of dining choices. Do not miss this place, it is an experience your family will never forget.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank vacationsamany
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wailea
1 km away
36.5 km away
Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa
37.2 km away
The Westin Maui Resort & Spa

Been to Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort? Share your experiences!