7,332 results
All reviews water elevator napua tower lazy river grand wailea rope swing chapel wing bistro molokini hibiscus pool volcano bar the grand dining room cafe kula spa grande four seasons pool area adult pool per day valet parking
Reviewed 30 August 2008

Some of the reviews would make you think there are two different parts of the hotel...while we haven;t stayed in every resort in Hawaii, this is the best so far out of 4 resorts at different islands...the place was immaculate, room was very clean, no signs of wear and large enough for 2 adults with 2 adult teenagers. Didnt see the problems others claim and were at the resort at almost the same time. As a Diamond VIP, we were upgraded to the 9th (top floor) with a full ocean view...was a great view, the staff were very nice, place was very clean...grounds were well kept. Like any other resort, food and drink are pricey but unlike other resorts you get free parking, free internet, no daily resort fee which can be anywhere from 10-25 dollars per day. I normally wouldn't say that I would like to return to a particular place just cause we like to explore others but will return to this resort as one to go to in Maui. We stayed at the Hilton last year in Hawaii...nice but way too big and hard to get around...these grounds were laid out nicely, short walk to pools and beach, nice water front paths for daily walks..just a great place to relax...

like any other place, there is a costco nearby so loading up on drinks and snacks is worth it...

if your booked don't let the bad reviews get you down...you will be happy with your stay...enjoy!

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family
2  Thank HawTrvlr
Reviewed 28 August 2008

I truly hated this place, so much, in fact, that after two days here i ate the rest of the money and went to a different hotel on Maui. Why? Because it felt like I was living in a mall. If you like malls, or you like Vegas, and you like giant waterparks full of screaming, shoving people and you don't mind paying $17.00 so your kids can have two lemonades or paying another 10 bucks to jump off a float in the ocean, then this is the place for you. My kids loved it. It is kind of neat to swim up to a bar in a grotto through a fake waterfall, or go down a bunch of waterslides. If you like spas, it might be perfect, because your kids will be exhausting themselves while you spa it up at this giant tacky spa they've got. Me, I missed Hawaii.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with family
3  Thank malibugypsy
Reviewed 23 August 2008

I will start by saying I traded in some of my Hilton Diamond Points I had for this 3 night stay after our week in Waikiki at Hilton Hawaiian Village, so it was in essence Free for my partner and I. However as nice as I found the Hilton Hawaiian Village (and it was nice) this is definitely a step up as far as resorts go.

First, we drove up to check in, and was greeted by a valet who came up and addressed me by name (remember, I have not checked in yet nor have I ever been there before) When he asked if he had gotten it right I said yes and asked him how he knew that, and he said " I can't tell ya" but what a cool trick to make us feel welcome. When you drive up you are immediately taken by the beautiful waterfall outside the hotel, which should let you know you are walking into a place that takes their grounds very seriously. It was beautiful. The grounds are immaculate.

We checked in at the amazingly beautiful open air lobby, and was happy to find they had upgraded us to a deluxe ocean view, and was also given a 40.00 off coupon for any of the properties several restaurants.

The room itself was very nice. Was it perfect? no. But If you want a perfect hotel room, check in on a hotels grand opening so you are the first guest in the room. Otherwise expect that others before you have caused some wear and tear. The room was much larger than the room I had just spent 6 nights in at Hilton Hawaiian Village. It has a large very comfortable bed, nice little sitting area with 2 nice chairs and ottoman and a desk, entertainment center with tv. HUGE bathroom with deep tub and glass shower, and a water closet for the commode. The vanity was nice and large for all our stuff. If your expecting modern, it isn't but if you want something above a standard hotel bathroom, then you will be very happy.

Our deck overlooked the grounds and a nice view of the ocean. We had teak chairs and table on the balcony, which at night was closed off by floor to ceiling wooden shutters which glide on a track across the entire wall. nice touch rather than standard curtains. We had a wet bar in the hall and a mini bar but we never used it. Carpet was in good condition, not brand new, but didnt feel dirty either. Every night our bed was turned down and a flower laid on the pillows and the shutters were drawn as well.

Again, the grounds are amazing. The grass almost looks not real it is so perfect and cut so well. the flowers, the winding paths to the pools and the beach are just beautiful. The pools are SECOND to NONE! There had to be 8 or 9 pools all connected by water slides, lazy rivers, rope swings, a full service "swim up" bar, and a natural bottomed pool and the water was clean and the pools were manned with plenty of lifeguards. If you dont have kids, the Adult pool below the fountains is an OASIS from the craziness of the kids playing in the lower pools. It was never crowded, and I read wheere people said you had to grab chairs at 7 or you were screwed, but did not find this to be the case. I walked up at 10:30, got 2 chairs and enjoyed the pool for hours. Is the pool perfect? No. there are some tiles missing here and there, but it was still beautiful and comfortable.

Restaurants on site, I only ate at the Humuhumu with my 40.00 coupon, and my bill was still over 100.00 for 2 dinner and 2 cokes and 1 dessert.. No adult drinks, no salads. So thank goodness for the coupon, but it was still pricey so be prepared.

The beach was great, smooth, not rocky like a lot of hawaiian beaches, and the water was warm and the sunsets were stunning. Also, if your a tennis player, check out their Tennis facility just down the road.

The lobby level also boasts many many stores for your shopping needs from clothes to jewelry to fine art and a small restaurant very popular in the morning... but I can't pay 11.50 for a sausage biscuit. That aint happening. I found that if you walk or drive the super short drive to the shops at Wailea and go to Cheeseburger in Paradise for breakfast, it was very reasonable with huge portions and fantastic food... and FREE REFILLS on sodas, which you hardly find anywhere in Hawaii, especially the resort.

Parking is I think 20.00 for Valet or free to self park. Self parking is tight (small spaces) and a bit of a walk, but i dont mind the walk to save the cash. Besides, its good exercise. :-)

Overall I was extremely happy with the resort. From the mysterious greeting at the car, the fresh flower ley, the room with the view and great bathroom, and the adult pool and grounds made this a place I would love to return to and spend more time at. I did forget to take a lot of pictures of the pools and grounds, but I did an entire tour on video and have posted it on you tube search for ATL10SBUM and check out the video to get a real feel of how huge this place is.

I have read several other reviewers, and I just can't even believe some of the bad reviews I read. I almost wonder if they were somewhere else... or maybe their expectations are just waaay to high. Yes, I could nit pick the place to death and say there were cracked tiles in the hallway (it is open to the elements you know) or scuffs on the walls and base boards ( helllooo, luggage?) and that it might could use a fresh coat of paint here and there, but get past these little annoyances and I don't see how you wont leave happy. I certainly Did, and probably would have been just as happy had I been paying for it.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
8  Thank Patrick C
Reviewed 21 August 2008

Let's just say WOW! How else to discribe this place, its open grounds make you feel welcome. The entire pool area is one big playground. Start in the water elevator and swim down the four slides to the lazy river, stopping in the cave bar along the way for a drink. The food was expensive but worth the price. The way this place is set up you cannot help but have fun. You can plan on parking your car because you wont want to leave. With the mall next door you have plenty of dining choices. Do not miss this place, it is an experience your family will never forget.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank vacationsamany
Reviewed 20 August 2008

Our family of 4 (one son, 10, and another son, 19) stayed at the Grand Wailea from 8/10-8/16. I had done extensive research on the hotel and read countless reviews. I was somewhat wary having read about the mediocre food and rooms. I came away very impressed and was exceedlngly happy with our vacation at the hotel. We stayed in the Napau area of the hotel. We arrived at about 1:00 pm, and were told by the very polite desk staff that the room would be ready in an hour. We hung out at the bar until then - and were unpacked and ready to enjoy the place by 3:00. Our room was beautful with a giant bathroom - very clean and well maintained. The balcony with ocean view was perfect. Staying on the Napua level allowed us to take advantage of the morning breakfasts and the afternoon 'happy hour'. The food was always good with different selections every day. The pool is the main reason to come to the Grand Wailea. It is the best, period. Nothing else can compare. Only dig is it gets hard to find chairs quickly - so you need to scout out and find a good spot early. But it pays off. My wife and kids would sleep in and I'd walk down to the pool by 7:00 and grab our chairs - then just read for a bit until they were ready. The other outstanding feature of the hotel is the Spa. Not to be missed. Make sure you book a massage. Just soooo worth it. Extremely dedicated and professional staff. Also tried the facial and that was excellent. We ate the first night at Humunukunukuaua's and really had a good meal. Excellent fish. You will get bored with just eating at the hotel, so make sure you venture next door to the Wailea Shops. Tommy Bahamas was very good. There are other great restaurants as well. And there is an ABC Store right in the mall so you can pick-up goodies and not pay huge resort prices. Drop by Costco or Walmart on your way to the resort from the airport. We bought a case of bottled water and went through the whole thing during our stay. We did try out the hotel's luau one evening and had a very good time. The entertainment was wonderful. I would also highly recommend eating at Mama's Fish House over in Pai'a near the airport. It's very expensive - but the food is amazing. Best fish I've had almost anywhere - the Mahi Mahi was out of this world. The beach at the Grand Wailea is really awesome - beautiful. We rented kayaks and snorkeling gear a few days and just had a ball out in the ocean. Well worth it. And don't miss the wonderful walkway that meanders in front of the hotels along Wailea Beach. Excellent for night strolls or a quick jog (make sure you don't go in the late afternoon - you will get covered in knats). The gym at the hotel is top notch anwyay - lots of cardio machines - and the free weights were well maintained. The Grand Wailea pretty much has it all - we pretty much hung out at the pool and beach all week....extremely relaxing. If you have a family with kids, they will definiitely love the pool. If you are honeymooning or just a couple on a relaxing holiday, probably might want to check out the Four Seasons or Fairmont. The G.W. is more family oriented with lots of kids so that might drive some folks who want more 'quiet time' crazy. But we loved it. I look forward to going back again.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family