“You have to LOVE MARILYN...”

Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort
Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in Wailea
Reviewed 17 February 2011

Even the beginning of our stay with Marilyn in Reservations patiently answering every question... The Grand Wailea has undergone many changes since it opened, but the people are the charm that never changes...

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (6,734)

Reviewed 16 February 2011

We had a great time at the Grand Wailea. We were greeted immediately by bellmen who parked our car and took the luggage right up to the room. The service was very quick and responsive during our stay. Our car was down in front right within minutes of requesting it with ice cold bottles of water waiting on each passenger.

The rooms were very spacious and clean. The beds were amazing. They were just the right amount of firm and had enough pillows for the two of us. The bathroom was big enough to be a room itself..which helped because my girlfriend used most of it for her makeup and toiletries.

The grounds were very big and kept nicely. There were plenty of pools and hot tubs to keep us busy and even secluded ones for privacy. The best part was the grotto bar. The beach was right there as well if that's what you're looking for...great place to watch the sunset.

The only drawback to the GW is the cost of staying there. We were fortunate enough to get a reduced rate on the room so we might have noticed this more than people that have the money to stay at such a nice hotel but when you're ordering $21 fruity drinks ($14 if you keep the plastic pineapple, which we lost twice, they're GOO-OOO-OOOD) and paying $55 each for brunch it's a bit much. However, that's the only drawback I could see at all.

I'd say if you're looking for a great place to stay on Maui the Grand Wailea is a great option if money is not really a concern.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 February 2011

Fantastic everything! Pricey everything too, but absolutely gorgeous! We stayed in room 768 and it was awesome! Huuuuge bathroom, excellent bed, lots of space and such a wonderful view of the gardens and ocean! Top notch! Great valet service, checking in with Pualani was also very pleasant, and great bellmen. Keep the singles handy, because there is a reason to tip around every corner, but we were so pleased with the service, it was easy to fork over a few bucks. The kids side of the pools were way more fun even for us four adults, and the grotto bar was fun too! Mandatory valet was $20 per day in addition to the $25 daily resort fee. I wish they'd just roll that all up into a normal room fee and call it a day, but it all spends the same, I guess.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 14 February 2011

We stayed at the Grand Wailea for two nights Feb 11 and Feb 12. We were originally scheduled to stay at the Fairmont Kea Lani but had to change our plans due to a big snowstorm. I had looked at staying at the Grand Wailea for our entire trip but I was worried that it would just be too much of a "scene" for us and not be relaxing.
I walked over the Grand Wailea the day before we checked in and talked to one of the clerks at the registration desk. She could not have been nicer. I explained our situation and she said "yeah, come on over and spend all day, even if your room is not ready...". So that's what we did. We wore our swimsuits and coverups and left all our luggage with the bellman until our room was ready.
We arrived at about 12:00 and our room was ready a little after 1:00. Nice. The front desk called my cell to tell me. I left the kids and hubby at the pool and met the bellman and he took me to our room with all our luggage. He was very friendly and filled me in about the property, The bellman suggested that I get a refrigerator for the room when he found out I have two kids, but he didn't tell me it is $8.00 a day. Not a big deal, but I would have liked to know upfront. The front desk told me that our room was a complimentary upgrade. The room was on the ground level and it had a view of a little grassy area and some paths that lead to the upper pool. If I looked at a certain angle there was a peek-a-boo view through the trees to the ocean. The room was smaller than the Kea Lani suite (as I knew it would be) the bellman opened the slider to the patio and it was pretty. The bathroom was a little worn, with cracked tiles and mildew (I hate when other people point this out, but it was!). The first impression was good, but upon closer look you could see that this room was worn and needed some TLC. The beds were made but you could clearly see indentations on the pillowtop/mattress top, like the mattress was worn out. There are white shutters that slide over the patio door at night instead of drapery. I was ok with the room until we tried to go to sleep and I could hear music and people talking and walking and pushing carts on the tile floors. I hardly slept at all the first night and either did my husband. I guess our room was off the the side below the Grand Ballrooom and there was loud music going that we could clearly hear from our shuttered room. Also, when the room was closed up it smelled kind of bad/musty. I couldn't wait to open the big slider each time we came in.
My kids were crazy about the pool. There was plenty of seating. The first day we sat by the activities desk and it was loud and busy with the music playing and lots of people coming and going. The next day we sat near the upper pool deck and there was hardly anyone around, plenty of chairs both shade and sun. There was no issue trying to find a chair. I spent quite a bit of time going down the slides and the lazy river/rapids and my kids loved it that we were all in the pool together.
We ate lunch at the volcano bar and none of us really liked our lunch. Ok, strike one. Later, my hubby and I went to the Molokini rest/bar and I had the WORST lava flow drink ever. It tasted like they put dish detergent in my glass w/ the drink. My husband had a tropical drink and it was very weak. We decided not to eat dinner there and left for Tommy Bahama's at The Shops at Wailea.
The next day I enjoyed the pool and I ordered two more drinks, one was GREAT and the other was borderline bad. The waitress said it depends on who the bartender is on duty. Not really my problem, when I am paying $14 for a drink they should all be good.
On the good side, the grounds are stunning and I took tons of pictures of the fountains and grounds and I even bought a painting of the chapel. There are other pretty properties that have more consistent food and drink service, so I'm not sure that the grounds make up for the terrible drinks and the worn room.
One more issue bothered me that I will mention. Recently the GW instituted mandatory valet parking for $20 a day in addition to the $25 a day resort fee. I knew about it in advance. One night it was raining heavily and we waited about 15 minutes for our car and then they parked it out in the rain, not even under the canopy. The valet did bring the umbrella to the car for me, but my husband and kids walked in the rain, it defeats the purpose of having a valet, right? It happened again the next day when we checked out, we had all our luggage and were waiting and waiting for our car for about 15 minutes (even though we called from our room). When the valet finally brought our car he parked it on the far side of the drive from where we were standing. It really frosted me that we had to do the mandatory $20.00 valet and they can't even pull the car up to me (there weren't that many people out there). Maybe they are cutting corners on drinks, food, and staff due to the bankruptcy, but I am still paying top dollar to stay there. It was fun to check out, but I wouldn't stay there for more than a night or two, not even sure about that. I will just say again that there are other properties that have more consistent service. The Grand Wailea has so much potential if they can work out some of their service issues and give the rooms some TLC. I hope that they can emerge from bankruptcy stronger and more consistent.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 February 2011

This is our favorite hotel. We spent part of our honeymoon here over 6 years ago. We had a wonderful time here last February, and our visit this February did not disappoint. This hotel and the lovely grounds and pools are an amusement park for adults. The service is excellent. Everyone is friendly. The food is very good. My husband and I love the Molokini Bistro -- we eat there nearly every night due to the combination of the food, the service, and the setting. The spa is topnotch. I have been there twice before. The lomi lomi massage is heavenly! However, this time, a mild cold that I was fighting from the previous week had morphed into a major sinus infection. We were with a friend -- she and I had been planning our visit to the spa for months. So I really tried to put my best foot forward and join her at the spa. However, after I got to the spa, got my locker, took a shower, etc., I realized I was feeling far too sick to have a massage. I felt so ill that I was fully prepared to accept that fact that I'd likely have to pay for a massage that I wouldn't be getting. Much to my surprise, upon learning about my condition, the manager of the spa informed me that I would not be charged. She and the other staff members seemed honestly concerned about my well-being. I was EXTREMELY impressed because they had every right to charge me since we were well within the 24-hr cancellation window. I was so grateful, and I ended up spending that money at the Urgent Care facility in Kihei to treat my massive sinus infection. This gesture really impressed me, and we are already planning our next trip back to this wonderful resort.

Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wailea
1 km away
1.4 km away
Hotel Wailea
Hotel Wailea
#1 of 8 in Wailea

Been to Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort? Share your experiences!