“convenient location, nice atmosphere”

Freestone's City Grill
Ranked #6 of 267 Restaurants in New Bedford
Price range: US$11 - US$26
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 24 June 2018

We were pleased with our lunch at Freestone's. AC was working well on a hot summer day. The lobster roll special was excellent, and the meal-sized salad with turkey was also good. Service was pleasant and attentive. Location is convenient to the New Bedford historic sites we were visiting that day. We have no complaints at all.

Reviewed 10 June 2018 via mobile

I have not visited freestones in many years. I will never again, nor will I ever return again. We were seated right away, the hostess was very sweet and polite. Our server on the other hand was either overwhelmed (it was slow) or just terrible at what she does. We ordered a couple of drinks-it was described as being served in a mason jar. It was not (no big deal). We ordered cheese fondue. The bread was hard- did not appear to be fresh. Cheese was not warm as it should be. Now for the entrees. TERRIBLE. We waited quite a while to be served. My husband ordered the meatloaf. It was cold. I mean stone cold like the AC was blowing on it for the 20 mins it probably sat on the counter. My shrimp scampi was was at best disgusting. The shrimp was cooked properly. The pasta was cooked there was 0 flavor. ZERO. I’ve had scampi at various restaurants where it’s prepared with butter and garlic. This was flavored with water. Yes. Water. It was like they took out the pasta and dropped shrimp on it and perhaps forgot the scampi sauce. Do not waste your time or money. I am Actually really made that I was handed an $81 bill.

Reviewed 29 April 2018

Stopped here for a Saturday lunch. Seated right away and our server, who was nice, was right there for us. Since I do not like peppers of any kind and we were not ready for a full dinner, we stuck to their sandwich and burgers for our choice. Our food was delivered nicely after a normal wait. We both found it average. Nothing special but by no means bad either. The atmosphere is ok too. I just couldn't take to the place for some reason. I would return for dinner if ever in New Bedford at that time of day to give it another shot, but average is what we found here.

Reviewed 28 April 2018 via mobile

In town for a family event. Looked up on Trip Advisor and this place was rated near the top and real close to where we were staying. It offered seafood and other items so this worked for both of us. My wife got the fried clams. Whole bellies which are her favorite. She said they were great. I had the chicken Parmigiana over ziti with garlic bread. Absolutely great. Good size portions, friendly service amidst a varied age clientele. Seniors, middle aged and millennials made for a very loud and happy place to be. We got there just after 5:00 on a Friday night and the place soon had a line outside waiting to be seated. We both finished the meal with warm bread pudding with vanilla ice cream on the left and whipped cream on the right with caramel drizzled beneath. Really Really great. I would stop here again with my wife next time we can get away from our 3 grandkids.

Reviewed 19 April 2018

We’ve been coming here for decades, were surprised when it sold, but now it’s as good as it was before, and the side Caesar was even better. The soup chef has been here for decades, so still the great fish chowder and chili. Huge burgers, though a smaller one for lunch is available on the menu.