“Nice Pub & Staff, shame about the food”
Review of O'Ryans Irish Bar

O'Ryans Irish Bar
Ranked #35 of 67 Restaurants in Manukau
Cuisines: Irish
Reviewed 16 October 2016

I've been to O'Ryans several times for lunch in the past 2 years as it's convenient, has a nice atmosphere, friendly competent staff, good parking and is well priced.
I decided to post as the food has declined slightly each visit & this time I remembered why last time I thought not to return.

I had the pork ribs - they were nice, but only 3 small ones so not a lot of meat; the curly fries were good (you can't really muck up fries) but the coleslaw! It had chilli sauce decoratively splashed over it, but also seemed to have some other hot sauce mixed through it so it was unpalatable. The whole point of salad with ribs is to cut through the fat with freshness, not burn off your taste buds. I also had apple crumble which was lovely but for some strange reason had a bread stick stick in it... confused with a wafer maybe? I couldn't get coffee as there was no-one there who could use the machine & they didn't have filter or instant, so ended up with weak horrible English Breakfast with full fat milk (since I didn't want green or peppermint).

The staff were very apologetic about it but I recalled commenting on the coleslaw last time (wish I'd remembered that BEFORE I ordered it again) and it's still the same.

Overall, good service in a nice pub atmosphere but decidedly average food with strange twists... can only assume the 'chef' isn't really one and it's his interpretation based on his own cultural influences (which aren't Irish or European). Come here to drink, not eat.

Reviewed 8 August 2016 via mobile

Been there a couple of times and it's just ok. Wouldn't go out of my way to go here. We even walked out once when DJ started playing some music we never wanted to hear and we were the only ones in the pub! way to go to read your audience..

Reviewed 7 April 2016

Went there on spur of the moment for lunch. Not many people dining there so choice of seats inside outside was appreciated as was the pool tables where we wiled away a good 4 hours.
Food was basic- only surprise the mash (tasty), but the rest was filling but not for the gourmet. Family friendly lots for kids to do outside.
Didn't like the sticky floors and tables they need to change their cleaning products. Bathrooms were a surprise for a pub, clean and tidy- not what I remembered from 10 years ago.

Reviewed 22 February 2016

The service was dismal, and the surroundings depressing. And the lady serving could not speak English so did not understand what I was asking for. My friend joined me, and we didn't even bother getting him a drink. We just left and went to the airport lounge. I would rather pay slightly inflated prices, and at least get nice friendly service.

Reviewed 19 July 2015

An Indian waiter served us- he was really friendly & welcoming. I ordered Fish of the day pan fried with a butter sauce, husband ordered scotch fillet. The fish melted in your mouth, and the scotch fillet was tender with great flavors. The food was awesome. We used to come here very regularly, the last time we came in, we walked out as the service was shocking. The food has always been great in this restaurant, it's the service of staff that needs improving. If everyone had the service standard of the guy who served us, I believe more people would come back.Thank you O'Ryans for a great night. Thank you for your warm smile and full of flavorsome food for great Value~