“Caveat Vegetarian ”
Review of The Village Cafe - CLOSED

The Village Cafe
Cuisines: American
Reviewed 19 January 2016 via mobile

This restaurant was somehow billed as vegetarian but there is one vegetarian entree save salad. I had a Greek salad which consisted of 3 or 4 chopped Roma tomatoes and a fourth of a cucumber with 5 Kalamata olives and a smattering of feta for $8. I also had split pea soup that tasted of chicken broth for $3. My coworker had fried tilapia which he stated was just okay and was served with a salad, French fries and corn(less than palatable) for $8. Service was slow. A table seated after us was served before us although business was light.

Reviewed 8 January 2016

Although the decor steps back into 1970, this is superior food and homemade items abound. Bread and deserts made daily and items like chicken fried steak, onion rings, salad dressings.........on and on are made daily. Got to meet lovely Greek owner who obviously loves what she does and was told the steak is wonderful because of the seasonings, Greek food is served Tuesday evenings, green goddess dressing is divine even if you don't think you would like it.
I had a Reuben because I saw a review about it and yes, it was a "real" Reuben and I chose the soup to go with and it was a corn, potato, broccoli that was light and a wonderful taste. Had to try the coconut cream pie and it was the best ever and I come from Austin back when several places served homemade pies. I can't wait to go back...........LOVE>>>>>>>>>..

Reviewed 15 August 2015

When vacationing, we tire of the usual road fare ordered via a drive-thru and begin turning our eyes toward home-style foods. By chance I found The Village Cafe while searching for Greek food in Corpus. Sadly, we missed Tuesday's Greek Night, but our Wednesday lunch made us sigh with happiness.

The owner of the restaurant happily greeted us as we entered and then chatted like we were cousins as she led us to our table. Our server was just as friendly and walked us through various dishes as we quizzed her.

The calf's liver and onions, hamburger steak and gyros were simply delicious. The liver never required a knife to cut and simply melted on the tongue. The brown gravy on both beef dishes was rich and the mashed potatoes creamy. The lentil soup that came with the gyro was flavorful and the lamb and beef on the gyro were tender and paper thin with crispy edges; perfect foil against the pillowy pita. Oh and that tsatsiki!

The portions were generous, but not too filling for lunch. The price was perfect for our vacation budget.

1  Thank C F
Reviewed 31 December 2013

I have had the pleasure of breakfast, lunch and dinner at this restaurant. The food is all homemade and the portions are excellent. You will never leave this place hungry. From the homemade yeast rolls serve the minute you sit down to the main course. Then if you have any room left for dessert, they have homemade pie and cakes to choose from. This is a wonderful place to come and enjoy with family and friends. You will not be rushed through your meal and they encourage you to spend time and visit with your family. Penelope, the owner comes and greets everyone in the restaurant and makes sure you have enjoyed you meal. Keep up the great work.

2  Thank janettee123
Reviewed 2 October 2013

went there on a Tuesday night-the very best Greek food I have ever had and I have been on Greek cruises , traveled thru out Greece-the mousaka was outstanding, spinach pastry -perfect-the only problem is that you will probably wait a while for your food, seem to be understaffed--the greek salad had a Gigantic chunk of feta cheese-fabulous-worth the wait -if this restaurant were in Houston -they would make millions ! Have also been for lunch and had other great meals here beside Greek food (but the Greek is their best in my opinion !

2  Thank Linda A