“One of the highlights of our trip!”
Review of Ben Michael's Cafe

Ben Michael's Cafe
Ranked #203 of 1,884 Restaurants in Albuquerque
Price range: US$0 - US$9
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Local cuisine
Neighbourhood: West Old Town
Reviewed 5 September 2017

We took a chance on Ben Michael's based on the reviews. We like different experiences and knew not to expect a typical restaurant experience. We sat outside under the gorgeous sunset and waited a few minutes for Ben (the owner/chef/cook/busboy) to appear (no more than 10 minutes). When he arrived he was very apologetic for how long it took. Being east coasters we are used to being ignored by servers, so we didn't think it was a big deal. He rattled off the small menu, and I chose the pork and my husband picked the rellanos -and a local beer and margarita to drink. Everything was exceptional! He even brought us another round of drinks on the house for our "wait", which was totally unnecessary, but appreciated. We chatted with him for a few minutes, and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. We ordered an order of flan and devoured it! He topped off the evening by picking a sunflower from their patio to give to my husband to give to me. FYI: he doesn't take credit cards and will direct you to the BOA ATM next door. Give it a shot!

Reviewed 31 July 2017

A local recommended this cafe to us for dinner and I was in heaven. A local Latin Jazz band was jamming while we ate delicious home cooked food, drank wonderful margaritas and watched an incredible sunset!!

Reviewed 10 June 2017

Sight unseen, I walked into the eponymous Ben Michael's, as he was playing a samba on the piano, so I sat myself down.

Ben, it turned out is the owner, cook, and waiter, with a passion for organic ingredients, something I can attest to, as several times I saw him lean over the garden wall to pick some turnips.

As it turned out I had sat myself next to his 86 year old mother, Irene, who regaled me with the history of four generations of this Hispanic family, before giving me a guided tour of the old family house.

Ben rattled off the four items that were on tonight's menu and I chose the Pork Cushion. It was an enchilada stuffed with pork butt that had been braised until it fell apart then stuffed in the enchilada. It was served with beans and I washed it all down with a New Mexican beer with the curious name of Alien amber ale.

$27 the lot.

Reviewed 28 May 2017

We went here after reading the super positive reviews. One said, "Stop reading and Go." Well, check before going for dinner. The Hours are not what you expect from a restaurant, like Closed on Friday? But we were there for an early dinner at 5:30 on a Saturday. The owner/chef was opening as we arrived. Three drink choices, Margaritas, Beer and Wine (and water). He told us the daily entree choices. Then he went to his tiny garden alongside and picked the greens for our salad. All organic. All fresh. A fun, folksy dining experience. Owner even played the piano for us.
We highly recommend this off-the beaten path restaurant!

Reviewed 19 May 2017

My daughter and I wanted to find a good local restaurant . The reviews were all praising this restaurant . Turned out not be to open on a Friday night. We arrived just as it opened on Saturday,
Owner greeted us, told us there was no menu, just four items for that evening. We chose to share a salad and a pork dish. I went with Ben to pick the greens and herbs for the salad from his garden along the driveway. As we tend he played the piano. The whole experience was wonderful. I would eat there so often if I lived in Albuquerque .