“Monte Carlo Steakhouse was closed so we tired this place!”

Mac's La Sierra Restaurant
Ranked #212 of 1,816 Restaurants in Albuquerque
Cuisines: Mexican
Neighbourhood: West Mesa
Neighbourhood: West Mesa
Reviewed 28 August 2017

The exterior is not impressive and the interior is even less impressive. But we had a waitress with a great smile and she was wonderful. I didn't care too much for the chips and chile. The chips tasted a bit stale and the chile was bland, which is a big deal in New Mexico. But when our entrees arrived it was like divine heaven! My husband had the steak fingers which were tender and crispy and wonderfully addicting! I had the Sunday Special which consisted of a 7 oz. steak and cheese enchiladas. The steak was cooked perfectly and the enchiladas were wonderful thanks to a delectable and tasty red chile sauce. Seriously, I think this is the best red chile I've had in New Mexico so far. Garcia's was always my favorite for the Red, but Mac's just moved into first place in my book. Next time, I'm going to order a bowl of just the red chile as dipping for the steak fingers! I really liked the charro beans too. They had a smoky flavor and the cheese was a nice addition. Another lovely surprise were the sopapillas! They were light and so very tasty. Usually I don't order sopapillas because they're too thick and filling, but these came with my meal so I took one taste and was hooked. Forget the honey, just dip them into the red chile! Our cheap steak place diet splurge has always been the Monte Carlo, but I was really happy to stumble upon Mac's today and we will definitely be back! Again and again.

Reviewed 11 August 2017 via mobile

Decided to eat here on our one night passing through Albuquerque. So glad we did! Doesn't look much from the outside but the food was outstanding. Staff were extremely attentive and very welcoming. We had the house special meal which was so tasty and full of chilli. Menu had plenty of choice and the prices were very reasonable, if in fact quite cheap!
Definitely one not to miss.

2  Thank Tricia B
Reviewed 30 July 2017 via mobile

The first time we initially spotted this gem was late afternoon when we arrived in town. I noticed how many cars were in the parking lot. We decided to stop here for breakfast the next morning. It didnt disappoint. I ordered their French Toast breakfast with ham. My husband ordered the Huevos Rancheros with fresh sopapilla's. Yum! Great food and great prices! This little coffee shop is worth a visit if you're in town.

2  Thank Pam S
Reviewed 26 July 2017

Met for our weekly Greek men's lunch at this very, very busy restaurant on the west side of Albuquerque!
There wasn't a empty seat in the place which told me that their food is excellent!!

1  Thank Harry H
Reviewed 29 April 2017 via mobile

We went to Albuquerque for a single night, arriving around 1pm. The restaurant had a nice crowd but there were empty tables. Someone told us to seat ourselves so we did. I wasn't crazy about that because you never know if a busy server will notice you and they were busy. But someone came by in a few minutes.
I had researched restaurants before the trip and looked over the menu several times so I knew what I wanted-the taco salad. It arrived in a crisp taco bowl. There were nice sized mounds of guacamole, sour cream, shredded cheese and diced tomatoes. Under that was a layer of lettuce and under that, a generous serving of tender, well seasoned taco meat and,weirdly, Lima beans.
Now I like limas but I would have thought retried beans, pintos or black beans would have been more apropos . Lima beans was just odd

My husband ordered the steak fingers. They are not strips of beef dipped in batter and fried. They are little tubes of taco meat dipped in batter and fried. My husband was not impressed. Plus, when my husband gave his order the server asked if he wanted a hot roll or a sopapilla. He chose the sopapilla but got neither.
My brother-in-law ordered the fried catfish. He got two filets, one he liked, the other...not so much. I would never have ordered that in a Mexican place but he can't resist fried seafood.
La Sierra Seems like place with a following of locals. If you know what to order, I think you'll be satisfied. But if you're just trying them out it's hit or miss.