“Wonderful venue...good wine...ok service”

Casa Rondena Winery
Ranked #18 of 236 things to do in Albuquerque
Reviewed 27 May 2018 via mobile

We visited on a busy Saturday afternoon for a wine tasting and a glass of wine. The wine tasting is quite nice. One is served a sample of 6 wines for $10. The grounds and buildings are awesome, but most if the venue is limited to wine club members. If it is hot, you are in a bit of trouble for most of the seating is outside, albeit in the shade. There are cheese and crackers for sale, but that is about it for food. Now for the service. It was kind if weird. We were at times invisible. When we were noticed, the interactions were pleasant. Don't know if we were among regulars or what the deal was. It's worth a visit for a decent glass of wine in a beautiful venue.

All reviews
"cottonwood trees"
"albuquerque area"
"visiting albuquerque"

Reviewed 2 May 2018

This is my favorite secret place to unwind and escape from the chaos of a busy life. Coming to Casa Rondeña is the kind of place that offers so much, from soothing, beautiful and calming surroundings to great opportunities to taste fantastic wines. Who would have thought that right in the middle of a city, you’d find such a great winery! But the truth is that it’s actually it’s not uncommon in Albuquerque where you can find multiple stellar wineries.
Architecturally speaking, the place is gorgeous. The Mediterranean style villa adds such beauty to your experience, and being able to sit by the pond, surrounded by cottonwood trees and impecable vineyard is such a joy!

They offer many excellent wines but here are my favorites: if you prefer red wines, by all means, try their Meritage. It’s fantastic, it’s a blend of Merlot and Cabernet Franc but it reminds me of the excellent Bordeaux you can find in France. I personally love its bouquet, it just lingers in your moth teasing you for a while after you’ve swallowed it. Just lovely. I also like their La Corine. It must be a new one because I don’t remember tasting it the last time I went there, which was in 2011’ish. But this is a fine rad wine, also a blend. I’m not always crazy about blends, but John Calvin does a great job creating these great blends. I probably like it so much because I love Merlots. This has Merlot and Viognier, another bold red with personality. I thought it was quite fruity.

But, if you prefer white wines, OMG, try their Serenade! Love it!! So refreshing and it’s not too sweet or too dry. Perfect balance and fruity finish. I highly recommend it.

Taste in wines is very personal, so only you will know which ones are the best for you. The ones I recommended are my personal favorites. Allow yourself to discover which ones are yours.

Also, know that Casa Rondeña does many fun events on a regular basis. Concerts, jazz piano on Sundays, and many others. We just love Casa Rondeña, they are an awesome representation of what’s so good about experiencing Albuquerque’s best.

2  Thank Conny N
Reviewed 30 March 2018

Let me start by saying I wanted to love Casa Rondena so much! It's a beautiful place and has nice wine. Unfortunately they have the absolute worst customer service I have ever experienced - from the ownership down. I moved here from Boston a year ago and immediately joined the 1629 club at Casa Rondena, hoping to have a great place to bring out of town guests and meet new friends in my new town. Unfortunately, right from the start, being a member at Casa Rondena was nothing but stress and frustration. In my second month of membership, I brought my family there to relax over some wine on the 1639 club patio. There was another table of 3 men on the patio and one of them got up and yelled at me that I didn't belong there. I offered him my club membership card and he very rudely told me I had to leave. It turns out that was the owner, John. Now is that how anyone would treat any customer, especially someone who pays a monthly membership to be part of your club? I did receive an "apology" email a few days later, so I decided to give the place another chance.

My final straw was bringing my mom to the club for her birthday dinner a couple weeks ago, which was also the same night as a St Patrick's Day event. The doorman for the event was extremely rude and accused me of sneaking in and told me I couldn't leave the event to have dinner in their club. I explained that I had emailed ahead of time to make sure this was possible and he told me "go ahead, you'll just do what you want anyways". When we finally ordered dinner it took forever to get our food, the pizzas were good, but very small. We told our server we would want to order more, but when we tried to order more they told us that there was another large party there and they couldn't handle it so we wouldn't be getting served anymore. My father tried to talk to them to see what he could do and our server yelled at him that we should have seen that they don't take orders after 7:45pm. No one had told us this, and for the record, the menu says 7:50, and it wasn't that time yet.

I called and emailed Casa Rondena telling them about my most recent poor experience there. I let them know that I wanted to cancel my membership due to all of the continued problems, but wanted to give them the opportunity to respond first and work out a resolution. Its been 10 days and I still haven't heard from them. Members and Customers clearly aren't valued here at all. I really wanted to love this place, and I can't communicate how fully disappointed I am. They obviously don't care about basic customer service, and the culture of the employees there is that nothing will change and management doesn't care. I don't plan on ever going back there again. There are plenty of other wineries in New Mexico and plenty of other places that provide exceptional service. Don't waste your money here, and definitely don't become a member at Casa Rondena - this place and its horrible business practices needs a complete overhaul. I am cross-posting this review on multiple sites.

3  Thank Elaina D
Christian G, General Manager at Casa Rondena Winery, responded to this reviewResponded 13 April 2018

Dear Elaina, we really appreciate your review. We are a small, family owned business of hardworking people who do our best to provide a great experience to all of our customers. Based on the multitude of positive reviews and member feedback we have been quite successful at achieving that the vast majority of the time. However, we are only human and as a result we are less than perfect. I sincerely apologize for your experience and would welcome the opportunity for a chance to provide you with first class service here at Casa Rondeña Winery.

Reviewed 3 March 2018 via mobile

Very nice setting. The tasting room is very well done and the outdoor seating area is nice out by the pond.