“great for everyone!”

Banana Leaf
Ranked #405 of 1,811 Restaurants in Albuquerque
Cuisines: Vietnamese
Reviewed 13 September 2016

My in-laws were in town and wanted "good Chinese". As they are from NYC, they know for good Asian food. I had suggested Thai but that's not "real Asian", according to my mom-in-law. As i'd wanted to try Banana Leaf for five years but had never gotten around to it, this seemed the perfect opportunity.

Everyone was happy with what they orderred. From the crab rangoon (a bit heavy on the cream cheese to my taste but perfect judged by my more self-indulgent mom-in-law) to the soup and fried rice (again, in-laws)-- fried but lightly so. The vegetarian option (steamed veggies with a side of brown sauce) was very well presented and evenly cooked. The only down mark was that the server said that the restaurant was "out of brown rice". Darn. The steamed jasmine rice presented instead was light and fluffy, not gummy at all, which was quite nice.

Mom-in-law's Orange Chicken was abundant and well-sauced. The server was gracious in refilling drinks and bringing requested additional sauces (hot spicy mustard and extra soy sauce). All was presented hot and fresh....no premade/reheated entrees here.

Everyone was too full for desserts but there were quite a few options.

I don't know why i waited five years to try this restaurant but it won't be five years until we go back!

Reviewed 10 September 2016

This is a good place to stop if you have different Asian cuisine preferences in a group. They serve Chinese, Thai, Vietnamese, and Japanese dishes. There were not many vegetarian options listed on the menu but the staff accommodated our special request and made a special veggie soup. The food quality was decent but nothing was the best we very had. The interior decor is very modern and nicely done.

Reviewed 31 August 2016

Banana Leaf is a small Asian Restaurant on the main highway that runs through Rio Rancho and if you don't look for it, you might just pass it by. And based on my last three visits, don't pass it by. The food has been excellent, the service impeccable and the overall dining experience fantastic. I stopped in for dinner a week ago and lunch the past two days. For dinner I chose a delicious creation that was quite simply beef and tomato. The beef was tender, flavorful and the tomatoes were like they had just been picked off the vine. Outstanding dinner choice. I started with pot stickers and they were tender, moist, full of flavor and were totally enhanced by the dipping sauce. I also opted for a cup of Egg Drop Soup. The soup was possible the best Egg Drop Soup ever. The broth was rich with a chicken taste and everything in the soup, the veggies, the shredded egg were just great. I decided to go back for lunch yesterday and wasn't disappointed at all. I ordered off the BL Lunch Specials menu, those items come with soup, rice and a vegetable spring roll. I chose the lemon chicken, and a wise choice it was. Very tender chicken sitting on top of a mellow lemon sauce that was oh so good. And yes, I chose the egg drop soup, again awesome. My lunch partner chose the Sesame Chicken and he was not disappointed at all. I tasted it and I have never tasted such flavor in a sesame dish. It was rich in a dark sauce served over the chicken and it just burst with a taste that was indescribable, it was just fantastic. He too had the egg drop soup and agreed, maybe the best ever. It was all so good that I had to go back today and today I chose the Absolute Drunken Chicken, Can't say enough about this dish, grilled chicken so tender it almost melted in your mouth and the sauce, can describe it well enough, by far one of the most delicious Asian meals I have ever had. I did start with that egg drop soup , but also tried the Crab Rangoon. Crab Rangoon was really good, not the best but very very good. . Lunch specials run from $6.99 to $8.99 depending what meat you chose. Portions are not huge but you are full when finished and the service is great, two very nice, always smiling young ladies. This is my new GO TO RESTAURANT in Rio Rancho.

Reviewed 27 July 2016

This is a standard for our home. Two nights ago we ordered Chicken pineapple fried rice only! So good. Sizzling beef and kung pao is also good.

Reviewed 22 July 2016

I've observed clientele of considerable diversity & all are treated well. I've never had meal to complain about