“Phenomenal Food”

Banana Leaf
Ranked #399 of 1,819 Restaurants in Albuquerque
Cuisines: Vietnamese
Reviewed 1 May 2017 via mobile

This was my first time here. I have been wanting to try this place. I ordered the chicken and pineapple in coconut milk dish and a water. I used, to work at an international supermarket and we had a great Thai chef. But, this dish was phenomenal. It's sweet and delicious. It's like eating dinner and dessert at the same time. I paid $11.81 plus tip. I will definitely return.

Reviewed 20 October 2016

Well, the atmosphere is very appealing. A little mysterious, great mood lighting, and very comfortable. My son and I had been craving some Thai food, and this was very close to where I had just moved to. We went on a Saturday night, and it was early evening but we just missed the evening dinner crowd. All of the dishes sounded so yummy! We made our selections, it came out a very short time later, and with the great service and ambiance, it really hit the spot for us! If you like Thai, the this is your place! Not overly pricey either. Lovely!

Reviewed 12 October 2016 via mobile

We had the most delicious meals here on Saturday night. Our waitress was very attentive and gave great advice on the food choices. I'd highly recommend eating here.

Reviewed 29 September 2016

i'm new to ABQ area, coming from the Bay Area, rich in Asian food places of all cultures. I think Asian food is a little out of its element here, and so was leery about going into this or any one i've seen. none of them look authentic. I asked a few people who suggested Banana Leaf, although not especially in glowing terms.

This one apparently 'specializes' in everything, advertising itself as Thai, Chinese, and Vietnamese. All of these cuisine types are very complex and developed on their own, and it stretches the imagination to think that the kitchen can apply itself well to cooking ALL of those varied styles of food and do any of them well. They can't.

Let me say that i only ate there once, but i don't intend to go back to try again. I went in for lunch one day. It was very quiet, clean, and a sort of modern, minimalist-ic design. i ordered from the lunch special menu (very low prices), and chose a red curry.

What came on my plate was nothing like any red curry i ever saw. It was a thick, pinkish colored glob of 'sauce' (about the color of the sandias at twilight) quivering atop a pile of ordinary, dryish rice and some chicken that was obviously old, had been sitting on the burners awhile, or was frozen before cooking (or all three). The veggies were tasteless and coated in this thick goo-- i cant recall what they were - and the chicken was rubbery and disagreeable to chew. I think this was supposed to a thai style dish. Let me tell you, it wasn't. And if they call this "fusion", they've got the idea all wrong, too. I also had a very run-of-the mill egg drop soup-- absolutely nothing to write home about, and a greasy egg roll.

I could not finish this meal, although it wasn't much to begin with. Just tasted lousy, and looked unappetizing as it could be. I left half of it on the plate.

The young woman who served me was prompt and pleasant. Overall, I have this to say about the food: "blecch". I wish I didn't, but there was nothing good to report about this restaurant.

Reviewed 13 September 2016

My in-laws were in town and wanted "good Chinese". As they are from NYC, they know for good Asian food. I had suggested Thai but that's not "real Asian", according to my mom-in-law. As i'd wanted to try Banana Leaf for five years but had never gotten around to it, this seemed the perfect opportunity.

Everyone was happy with what they orderred. From the crab rangoon (a bit heavy on the cream cheese to my taste but perfect judged by my more self-indulgent mom-in-law) to the soup and fried rice (again, in-laws)-- fried but lightly so. The vegetarian option (steamed veggies with a side of brown sauce) was very well presented and evenly cooked. The only down mark was that the server said that the restaurant was "out of brown rice". Darn. The steamed jasmine rice presented instead was light and fluffy, not gummy at all, which was quite nice.

Mom-in-law's Orange Chicken was abundant and well-sauced. The server was gracious in refilling drinks and bringing requested additional sauces (hot spicy mustard and extra soy sauce). All was presented hot and fresh....no premade/reheated entrees here.

Everyone was too full for desserts but there were quite a few options.

I don't know why i waited five years to try this restaurant but it won't be five years until we go back!