“Decor to the Max!”

Best Western Plus Rio Grande Inn
Ranked #14 of 144 Hotels in Albuquerque
Reviewed 26 April 2012

The BW Rio Grande Inn has taken special pains to make sure you know you're in the high desert Southwest. This L-shaped building's exterior is surfaced a faux-adobe dark brown and throughout the interior the decor bespeaks its roots. Lots of browns, tans, ochrers, turquoise, wood accents and pounded tin (even a decorated fire extinguisher set-in cavity on my floor) as well as room and corridor carpets, to say nothing of bedspreads and blankets, underline the architectural and decorative tradition of the region.

The staff - especially the rotating shuttle drivers and front desk personnel - are unfailingly friendly and eager-to-please. Their patience and courtesy with some torturously obtuse (OK, just plain dumb by my standards) guests with whom I heard them dealing was simply astounding. The deserve gold medals. The housekeeping staff was hard-working and very pains-taking

Though located on a busy 4-lane thoroughfare and at an exit ramp of I-40, I found my room to be quiet as a tomb. Proportions were generous, there was a 42" flatscreen TV, a more-than-adequate bathroom with an abundance of high quality towels, toiletries, etc. and OK-ish (though open) closet space. There was a regionally styled chest of drawers and a table posing as a desk plus one bedside table. Two appropriately stylish wooden chairs with decorative padding flanked the desk but either would have had to be moved to actually SIT at the desk. Moreover, they faced the same direction as the TV screen, so moving chairs was a necessity (Note to room designers: not EVERYONE likes to watch TV from a bed!). The chairs, while handsome, were not comfortable - something to which you might consign an adult for a "time-out!"

Albuquerque has an abundance of fine restaurants which seems to leave the hotel restaurant dolefully vacant most of the time. Most noteworthy (and practically next door) is the St. Clair Winery and Bistro. There are two gas stations/convenience stores across the street and a Walgreen's at the south edge of nearby Old Town. On-the-hour free shuttle service is provided to the airport, Old Town, and the Railrunner train to Santa Fe at the Alvarado Transportation Center downtown. I was strongly tempted to remind several of my older (and I'm pushing 68) fellow riders that tipping for rides is a common courtesy!

There is an attractive outdoor, cottonwood-shaded patio area which abuts a pool and jacuzzi with plenty of tables and chairs. Towels are supplied/replenished on what struck me as a somewhat sporadic rate.

Room Tip: Check just how much of a schlep your room will be from the lobby. Some of them might a "fer pi...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
dos1, Director of Sales at Best Western Plus Rio Grande Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 1 May 2012

Thank you for taking the time to post such a detailed review of our hotel. I’m sure your fellow travelers appreciate the extra effort you put in to your substantial review. Currently, our Business King rooms are equipped with a more “work” friendly desk and ergonomic chair for those guests expecting to spend a little more time on their laptops and less time exploring the Old Town neighborhood. Please also note that all rooms come equipped with 42” flat screen televisions on a “swivel” mount. That means every television can be pulled forward and angled in any direction you are sitting.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,821)

Reviewed 8 April 2012

I love this hotel. It is my first choice for friends and family coming to ABQ. Great service, friendly and professional staff. Food in the restaurant is very nice. And the shuttle service is excellent. Single women will feel very comfortable here. And they love your pet!
Overall, if you want do value, convenience and a nice place, this be the one.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
dos1, Director of Sales at Best Western Plus Rio Grande Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2012

Thank you for taking the time and posting a review of our hotel.

Reviewed 31 March 2012

We stayed here two nights and were very pleased with our room. The hotel is right off the highway exit and there was plenty of free parking. Our rate did not include breakfast, but there is a discount at the hotel restaurant. It was a short walk (sidewalks all the way) to the Old Town and museums. Our room was located on the ground floor on the southwest side of the hotel. It was very quiet.
The hotel has a nice business center with a printer and two computers. There were also two guest computers in the lobby area. Would definitely stay here if we were in Albuquerque again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the highway.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time and posting a review of our hotel.

Reviewed 19 March 2012

Beware! Hotel was fine...service was a nightmare! My credit card was authorized 10 different time totaling over $450.00...
When I approached the front desk about this they were clueless and said it was resolved... Well it wasn't ! We had to leave a day early because our funds were all tied up... Our room was even prepayed-- no direct answer from anyone... No management response or even a courtesy of coming from behind the wall of the front desk. Empower your staff but back them up management!

• Stayed: March 2012
1  Thank Shelly85044
dos1, General Manager at Best Western Plus Rio Grande Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2012

First, let me take ownership of the problem you encountered with payment while our guest. I want to apologize for the mistakes that were made and for problems this caused you and your family. Please know that after investigating what happened yesterday, I found that we indeed made a mistake when checking you in that caused the billing issue for the two rooms that you reserved. The credits have been made to your account and the third party booking agency contacted to clear your account on their end. I hope that you will accept our sincere apology and the additional adjustment made to your credit card as a token of our sincerity.
I know that our Front Office Manager hoped to speak with you while you were here but this didn't happen. I would have contacted you yesterday when I learned of this but your contact information was not made available to us on the reservation. Please understand that we do attempt to take care of any service issues immediately in order to maintain our guest confidence and loyalty. I am very disappointed that we failed to do this in your case.
The mistake that was made has been addressed and retraining conducted. Again, we are all very sorry for what occurred. If you wish to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Reviewed 25 February 2012

Stayed there for one night, room was clean and pretty big, staff were friendly and helpful, complimentary shuttle to downtown a plus. Hotel was full of energy over the long weekend when I stayed.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank Ed C
dos1, Director of Sales at Best Western Plus Rio Grande Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 29 February 2012

Thank you for your review.