“Trail ride for two hours. ”
Review of Sombrero Ranch

Sombrero Ranch
More attraction details
Owner description: Attraction, Activity
Reviewed 27 September 2017 via mobile

Arrived at the ranch. Filled out a disclaimer quickly. Chose not to have helmets.
Quickly we were organised and assigned to our horses.
My husband is a novice where I’m experienced rider. I’m unsure why we have to declare our ability though if we are only steadily walking? Maybe someone could explain that.
Anyway set off with our wrangler who was funny, full of information and a very competent horse man. Felt safe on my horse. He was responsive and stopped when I asked him to. My husbands horse (Moonlight)? Did look a few times like he was going to go down.. I shouted at my husband to kick him on as he looked like he wanted to roll. On saying that my husband said he felt safe and was happy with him and gave him lots of pats. It might of just been the type of horse he was.
Some good views from the top of the trail.
It’s a shame we couldn’t of been split into those who could ride and those who couldn’t so we could of gone a little faster but I suppose the terrain makes it difficult to work the horses at speed.
Had a great time thanks and it was nice to ride USA style compared to English. I do prefer my saddle though
I’ve read the poor reviews on this site and I think they’re a little unfair. Horses are animals and are unpredictable. Sometimes the shoot off unexpectedly and occasionally people fall off. It is to be expected. Don’t let those reviews put you off. These people do a good job with these horses and work hard to ensure that novices have an enjoyable experience along with the more competent riders.
Thank you!!

Reviewed 20 September 2017

We had an enjoyable morning riding horses in the mountains. It was just challenging enough for us flat landers without being too scary. The ride is very quiet and "slow" but that is because the company has to account for people riding who do not know how to ride horses. Yes I would have liked to go "faster" sometimes, but I am a more experienced rider than the rest of my group is. The scenery was beautiful. The guide was friendly and knew each horse and their temperament. The breakfast was delicious. Wonderful pancakes!

Reviewed 10 September 2017 via mobile

My husband and I went on a one hour ride with Cailin (from SA) as our wrangler. She was very friendly and knowledgeable about the area which is beautiful by the way. She said they have like 120 horses on the property. Our horses appeared to be well cared for. I've been on other rides in the mountains and the horses sometimes do trip if the terrain is rocky. However, the ride was slow and leisurely and I never felt unsafe. We really enjoyed the ride and Cailin as our guide. I would definitely recommend this ranch.

Reviewed 7 September 2017

Riding horses here is suitable for both young and old. The guide was nice and helped the amateur riders well. He also tamed the horses. We rode through Estes Park and had some pleasant views. The road was bumpy, and as a result, we always had that feeling of falling off, which made the experience a bit scary. Nevertheless, our whole family enjoyed the ride.

Reviewed 4 September 2017

This is my 2nd attempt at a review with Trip Advisor of Sombrero Ranch - so I will do my best to keep this as toned down as possible - so as not to get it removed again because I believe deeply in my soul, people need to think twice before booking with this company.

First, I seriously seriously question the well-being of the horses at this Ranch. The horses we rode could barely walk. And in particular, the horse my sister-in-law was riding kept tripping on the trail and at one point fell to its knee. It was very scary to watch. When I asked our guide what was going on, she dismissed my question and said that sometimes the horses trip. But, it was clear from the way this horses legs were buckling that it was utterly overworked.

I have to believe there are other ranches in Colorado, if you do a bit more research - that take pride in their care of the horses. Happy horses=Safe guests. I'm upset with myself and my family for putting our money into this place. It was truly a horrific experience for me and my family. The kids with us were crying because they knew the horses were not feeling well. So sad. Start to finish.

3  Thank Jessica S