“Beautiful scenery, hospitality could be improved”
Review of Sombrero Ranch

Sombrero Ranch
More attraction details
Owner description: Attraction, Activity
Reviewed 23 October 2017

The scenery is amazing and for the views during the ride I would definitely recommend it! Staff is friendly and the horses are well trained. However, I’ve been on a number of trail rides this year and this was the first time that I felt more like a customer than like a guest. They send out groups of 8 with one wrangler and when you’re the last rider in line you can barely hear what he is saying. As far as I can tell, the main talking points were the safety rules, not too much information about the ranch or the area in general. Then they have a professional photographer who is selling your picture for $10 like on an amusement park ride and they strongly recommend a tip. Other places charge you the same for a 2 h ride, send 2 wranglers with a group of 6 and do not expect a tip beyond what you already paid. As for the riding itself, it is all nose to tail (the trails don’t allow anything else) and the horses find their way on their own, you don’t get to do anything, you’re just a passenger. What makes it at least a little exciting is that you’re going up and down the hills all the time.

Reviewed 17 October 2017 via mobile

We chose to do this trail ride on our last day in Colorado. Aside from knowing we'll be sore on our flight home, this was a perfect end to our trip. Chloe was a great trail leader, she made sure we were all comfortable on our horses and continued to check up on us throughout the whole ride. She even offered to take photos of us when we stopped mid-ride. Definitely would recommend and definitely would do this again!!

Reviewed 14 October 2017

Took my wife for a horse ride even though we barely know how to ride. I got a big boy named Quinn. We had a good easy ride and got to see some nice countryside and a bedded bull elk. I would do it again.

Reviewed 11 October 2017 via mobile

We had an amazing 2 hour ride today! Beautiful views - it was slow and easy. Nothing hard or fast at all. Great experience! All the staff we’re extremely sweet.

Reviewed 4 October 2017

Myself, my daughter from out of town and 3 other people went here today for a 2 hour ride and it was a horrible experience. When I asked the desk employee several questions the only thing he could say was that everything was up to me, it was all my choice how I wanted to handle the horse. Really? I don't know how to handle a horse! When it was time to get on the horse I was having issues getting up there. The stirrup was way too high so I asked him, the SAME GUY, to lower it, which he did a little, reluctantly. Then, it was still too high for my foot to reach and instead of fixing it he just pushed my foot up into the stirrup for me. Then I could not hop high enough and I could not get on the very tall horse they decided to give me probably partially because my foot was way too high. The 2 steps they provided were very low and didn't help at all. When I asked him to push me up onto the horse since he refused to lower the stirrup again he said no. "If you can't get on the horse by yourself then you can't ride" is what he told me. After trying about 10 times and not able to lift myself all the way up there he said I couldn't ride and told me to go back to the office. I expected my party of 5 to come back and join me since I couldn't ride, but instead they went on without me, because the ranch employees lied and told them that I changed my mind and decided not to go. Instead of sitting in the office for 2 hours I walked downtown where my party finally showed up to get me after their ride where I was told that the ranch employees were happy to push other people, including 1 person in my party up on their horses. The guy told me I couldn't ride, because I couldn't get up there myself but other people were being pushed onto their horses. I didn't get to hang out with my daughter, who came here from another state, because someone decided I didn't deserve help onto a horse and then lied to my party and said that I just decided not to go when in reality I was told I couldn't go, because I couldn't pull myself up onto a horse with no assistance.