“Special Passover Dinner”

Potenza Ristorante-Bar
Ranked #198 of 857 Restaurants in Providence
Price range: US$50 - US$100
Description: Since 1985 Potenza Ristorante has been synonymous of quality and accuracy. Proudly awarded with the "Q" as a reflection of Quality throughout the World by Italian Standard, Potenza Ristorante continues in the endeavor of offering the most sophisticated menus to the palates of the most discerning consumers. Potenza Ristorante was initially opened as Walters Ristorante d'Italia in 1985 in the lovely and quaint town of East Greenwich Rhode Island. Since the, we have changed the name to pay homage of the family name but the mission and the philosophy have remained unaltered, one that protects and promotes the greatness of the true Italian Culinary Richness to the World. We have been assigned the noble title of Italian Culinary Ambassadors by the Italian Government and we forever morally maintain the obligations. MENU' SPECIALIZATIONS Regional Italian Cookery Terracotta Cookery Cucina Abruzzese Diabetes Cookery Celiac Cookery Renaissance Cooking Jewish Italian Sephardic SPA Cuisine
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

They advertised a "special Passover Dinner" based on Italian Sephardic Italian food and we went there for the 1st night of Passover and God this was awful!!!. I am Sephardic so I was excited but what they served us was neither Sephardic nor good at all. I had the lamb and it felt like goulash and my wife's fish was flavorless. Everything sat on a bad of mash potatoes that tasted like cardboard. They provided a plate of matsot but that's it, no horseradish, nothing. We were their only clients for that "Passover Dinner" and I now understand why!.. Horrible...

Reviewed 20 November 2017 via mobile

Potenza is definitely a hidden gem in Cranston, RI. The food was excellent. Beginning with the warm bread drizzled with oil then the beet salad to a veal entree finished with coffee and dessert. The flavors of each course were so delicious— I am looking forward to going back to Potenza for dinner very soon!

Reviewed 10 September 2017 via mobile

It is a very good Italian restaurant.
From the street it is just a small house ( it looks like my grandmother house), but in the plates it is really great.

Reviewed 20 February 2017

Hmmm. Not entirely sure how to rate or review this experience. It had a few good points, but some strange points as well (especially in light of what we'd heard in advance... including that the chef had been on Food Network.) I wanted to rate it higher, but...

Nine of us attended for a family birthday celebration dinner for my 85-year old mother-in-law. Several of us came down from Boston and others up from Connecticut, to join a few from Cranston who picked this spot. The restaurant is in a house in a residential neighborhood with scant parking. We were seated in a larger room on the first floor in the same room with a couple who were already dining (it felt like we were intruding on their night out.) Once we sat we were greeted by a woman who was our server (who we learned was the chef's wife.) She definitely had an edge to her. We actually found her a bit too direct and, actually, somewhat surly. As we ordered drinks, and awaited two others in our party to arrive, we noted that we'd like to order two of the Frittura di pesce all Napoletana (fried seafood) as an app. She told that we could not do so as we needed to order all of our food together (apparently so the chef has our complete order and knows how to time the meal. Huh???!!!!) Her edge, occasionally playful, was off-putting (sort of like when you tell a joke and it doesn't go over as you'd expect.)

We began ordering dinner and my 16-year old son asked her if they could do a chicken parm (which was not on the menu. She had noted they have did have a veal parm as a special.) In response, she flatly and bluntly said no. For him, it was actually fine that they could not do this, but it might've been nice for her to say something like, "I'm so sorry, we aren't prepared to do that" and then suggest something else. It was really kind of rude.

As for the food: overall we found it OK. The bread served was very good and tasty; coarsely-salted and in a light pool of good olive oil. The Frittura was excellent, if a bit soggy. Several of us had salads with one of them being a Panzanella Toscana. This came with shredded Romaine (?) and not Field Greens as advertised. It also appeared to be missing several other items, if I recall (they seemed to have an issue with their salads as our server noted that they were out of the organic spinach for another salad.) It was very ordinary. My Lobster Ravioli was just lukewarm, lacked seasoning and the lobster was hard-to-find (I tasted one piece in my last ravioli.) The sauce that accompanied it - a tomato cream sauce - was very nice (I used the bread to sop it up.) Several in our party had the fish special (details unknown on this) which they seemed to think was OK. My son had the veal parm with gnocchi which he said was good. My wife had the risotto which came as sort of a...risotto soup. It was unlike anything we had seen before. The Risotto con Capesante was literally swimming in what looked like a tomato sauce/broth. She did not care for it at all (and did not want to make a fuss.) I tasted it and it was not anything special flavor-wise, nor was it appetizingly presented (IMHO.) As a parting note, the coffee we all had was very good; fresh and hot.

Overall, I would say that we were disappointed. The chef, who came out to chat with us, and who was charming, definitely is proud of his work and, obviously, has a certain way that he wants to run things. We felt that we would just as-soon spend our special family evenings in an environment with friendlier service and with meals that were more consistent (such as the nearby Spain.)

7chefwalter, Owner at Potenza Ristorante-Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 2 September 2017

I am not in the habit of answering anyone that post favorable or unfavorable comments, but this one deserves the proper answer. I am also the man who has from 1974 to recent times cooked from Elvis to the Pope at the Vatican, and every star you can think of in between. Your group visited our restaurant and clearly from the start your knowledge of food was questionable based on the requests and the "Franchise Concoction" you were used to. We do not compromise our name or quality for anyone including you. Certainly you could have had dishes that were not to your liking, but refrain from reviewing restaurants. You are not a reviewer, you are not schooled to criticize food since you are not a professional who achieved culinary education with a degree program. I also know that in this age, everyone feels that they can write something, almost as to feel grand in front of their friends. Your group was demanding, arrogant, and clueless of the Regional Italian Cuisine we so proudly represent. I will leave at that, without going into details. I personally cooked for people much more important than you, and if you feel that you may (?) know this business, please borrow a million dollars, open your own and tell me how easy it is! Lastly the "CUSTOMER IN NOT ALWAYS RIGHT", especially those who don't have a knowledge of food and hospitality.

Master Chef Walter Potenza of Potenza Ristorante in Cranston Rhode Island Awarded with the "Q" as Top 150 Italian Restaurants in the nation, but the Ministry of Tourism of Italy.

Reviewed 9 September 2016

Formally on Federal Hill in Providence which now is Chef Walters cooking school and special events center. Potenza Ristorante offers true Italian (Mediterranean) and Italian - American cuisine. Having found them one cold winter evening 7 years ago on the hill, and we have never look back.. If your looking for a Italian cooking that is prepared fresh from scratch then you have to try Potenza. / Its has Full Bar** with great Italian Atmosphere ** You won't be disappointed..