“Best French Toast!”

Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Federal Hill
Reviewed 11 September 2015

This is a little restaurant toward the end of the west side of Providence. They have the best French toast I've ever had!!! Everything I've ever gotten here is amazing and worth the wait on the weekends for brunch. I prefer this place to Julians.

1  Thank Heather R

Reviewed 11 September 2015 via mobile

From the moment the enthusiastic server helped us with the menu, starting with the amuse-bouche to the complimentary sweet taste of dessert, Nick's was on point every step of the way.

What a great end of an evening with an assortment of sides and a shared charcuterie that was amazing.

And to think they start right back up again for breakfast the next morning.

Not to be missed.

Reviewed 23 August 2015 via mobile

I've been hearing about Nick's as one of the "must" go to places for brunch in Providence for years. Today, I decided to brave the meandering herd and check it out. It was a terrific experience.

First, the place is small, frenetic, and festively loud. I'm guessing it seats around 60 - many of those at the bar or at the counter in front of the display kitchen. As I was by myself, I was seated at the counter, which was really fun.

I digress for a moment to say that I was glad to see JWU Culinary students working the line. Thank you, Nick's for giving these terrific kids the chance to gain valuable experience. Lots of places in Providence and surrounds do this - but here you can see them.

Watching the kitchen up close it was abundantly clear why this place is so raced about. The staff was a well oiled machine, and every plate that left the line was beautifully prepared and styled.

I had Eggs Benedict (I know - but it's my go to brunch item) and it was fabulous. Like anything else, this relatively simple dish can be great or ghastly, and this one was great. Their cottage fires were to die for.

Illy coffee, terrific service and the opportunity to watch a really great culinary performance. I highly recommend you check this place out - or go again.

Reviewed 14 August 2015

when they had the old place a few miles away you stood outside and waited. Now they have this new place and you can still wait outside.I think they need to move to a large warehouse that can hold hundreds of people but I think you would have to still wait outside. The footd is that good. You get large portions of very well made food which is made from scratch whatever you go for try the specials as they are really special. I start with pancakes and them move to eggs made however they want. I tell this to the wait staff and they say how do you want them and I just say."you pick" and they do and laugh while doing it. this way I get a nice meal and do not even have to think about what I want. They do it for me. I just relax.it has never been a bad choice.alway very good. huge portions so be careful.

Reviewed 13 August 2015

Really really tasty brunch. To be honest, I was meaning to go to Kitchen, but it happened to be closed that day so I made the executive decision to head to Nick's instead. I'm glad I did! Unfortunately, I got there during peak brunch hours, which I usually try to avoid, so I had a pretty decent wait, even just for one person. But, I eventually was seated at the counter overlooking the kitchen area. As a solo traveler, it was nice having something interesting to watch as I waited (it was too early for small talk...), and it was fascinating watching everybody working together in overdrive. The kind waitstaff also made an effort to reach everybody despite having a busy restaurant to run around.

For my brunch cocktail, I ordered a Harvey Wallbanger. While I was really in the mood for orange juice and loved it (it tasted fresh-squeezed), somebody looking for a stronger cocktail might want to skip it. The subtle sweetness of the Galliano and the hint of vodka made for a really refreshing drink to start the day.

To eat, I ordered the special flounder (I think?) eggs benedict. It took quite a while for the food to come due to the full restaurant (not any lack of effort from the kitchen, I assure you). It came out fresh and hot, and looked delicious. The taste did not disappoint! The fish was great, the eggs were cooked perfectly, the Hollandaise was rich but not overpowering, and whatever homemade English muffin/biscuit it was sitting on was delectable.

Now, my two gripes, which led me to subtract a star. The first was the cost. It was expensive, but the issue I really had was that you couldn't tell by the menu. The regular benedict was much cheaper, and I did not see any indication that the specials would be this much more expensive. My second issue was the relatively small amount of fish. I would have liked to see a bit more fish, as I found myself having to cut very small amounts for each bite so it would last me until the end.

Overall, though, I'd recommend Nicks, but beware arriving during peak hours!

1  Thank JLaz777