“A Dissappointing Culinary Experience”
Review of Red Stripe

Red Stripe
Reserve with OpenTable
Red Stripe is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #38 of 862 Restaurants in Providence
Price range: US$10 - US$30
Cuisines: American
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Elmgrove Avenue, Providence,RI 02906
Reviewed 3 January 2018

Although our server was vibrant, energetic and attentive, the overall culinary experience was very disappointing. It started when I was informed that the only Malbec on the menu was not available. Our server then regrettably informed us that they were out of lemon sole which was what I was planning to order as my entrée. Our server then raved about the paella and convinced me that it would be an excellent choice. I started with a "young green salad" which was just average. But my biggest disappointment occurred when the paella arrived. First, it was served in a round and high soup type bowl which made it very difficult to enjoy. As I dug through the rice I noticed that this was a paella that was plentiful in the inexpensive ingredients (rice, Chirico and mussels, but very skimpy when it came to clams, shrimp and chicken). There was so much Chirico in the dish that I had to take out chunks and chunks of it to avoid getting cardiac arrest on the spot. The overall flavor was fair, but it was one of the worst paella I have ever had I terms of the overall composition. My wife had the pork tenderloin dish which was a very small portion and just so-so. My daughter did enjoy the large order of mussels done Pollet style with pomme frites. However, there are too many good restaurants in Providence, so I won't be rushing back to Red Stripe anytime soon.

Reviewed 30 December 2017

We ate here at the last minute when terrible traffic prevented us from making our reservation at our favorite place (Andino's). Parking is relatively easy and the large restaurant is pleasant --- although lighting could be a bit dimmer. Door staff is very pleasant and our accommodating waiter was friendly and efficient. Wine selection is decent and reasonably priced. Drink was okay --- the Cosmo was syrupy sweet - not fresh. Buffalo cauliflower was very good and hearty -- more than enough for three people. Onion soup was very good, crab cakes not great -- I would not recommend. Burger was very good. Fish and chips not great --- an enormous piece of tasteless fish. Presentation was nice and nice touches like automatically bringing malt vinegar.

Reviewed 24 December 2017

The food is good; not great, except for the mussles which are execellent. The elephant in the room is the noise level. You can not hear your dining partner over the din. A big Pasadena on this one.

Reviewed 19 November 2017 via mobile

Red Stripe has vaulted into the winner's circle again. A new management team seems to have come together to take it up a notch. I find the food to be more flavorful, the menu has excellent options, but most of all the service by Elizabeth at the bar made it a perfect experience. She was so friendly, fast, efficient, and she made a heck of a good cocktail. What I was looking for was not on the menu, but Elizabeth made it and it was wonderful. She then made her own creation and it was also great. I'll definitely come back more often as good food and good service go hand-in-hand.

Reviewed 5 November 2017

We had a delicious lunch consisting of the best poulette I have ever eaten. We enjoyed the hand cut fries, too. The service was disappointing because Dylan never came by to check on us. Had to flag him down for our check. The cost of our lunches were comparable with other restaurants in the area. It was a clean restaurant with clean restrooms, which matters to both of us diners.