“Good American Bistro Food, Great Cocktails and Beer selection.”
Review of Red Stripe

Red Stripe
Reserve with OpenTable
Red Stripe is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #40 of 870 Restaurants in Providence
Price range: US$10 - US$30
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Elmgrove Avenue, Providence,RI 02906
Reviewed 7 April 2018

Mussels about nine different ways and Steak Frites tell the story, but have a cocktail before dinner you will be pleased. I have the paella which more of a composed dish than a traditional style. I had second cocktail and enjoyed my meal. Next time it's Mussels for me. Great staff.

Jim B, Director of Restaurant Operations at Red Stripe, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2018

Hello Fred,
Thank You for taking the time to share your thoughts regarding Red Stripe Restaurant. I am very happy to hear that our staff has made such a positive impression during your visits. We look forward to serving you a delicious order of our famous mussels!
Thank You!
Jim

Reviewed 22 March 2018 via mobile

Lunch is usually a treat and we look forward to the large variety of mussels and frites on the menu but this time the mussels were in my opinion WAY to big - almost hard to eat. When I mentioned it to the server she got defensive “That’s the way they have always been.” OK but if you are ordering at least ask about the size and make your own judgement. And the servers should learn to be a little more customer friendly

1  Thank Mike G
Reviewed 19 February 2018 via mobile

During Valentines week there were 8 of us meeting for dinner so I made a reservation. The restaurant was very accommodating as we were actually short 1, but then gained 1 for dessert. Our server was very patient with us and actually gave us plenty of space, which made for a very relaxing, friendly dinner. The buffalo cauliflower appetizer was delicious, my salmon was just right, and the chocolate chip cookie dessert A-MA-ZING! I would definitely recommend getting there a bit early, Wayland Square is a cute place to visit. Plenty of off street parking.

Reviewed 3 January 2018

Although our server was vibrant, energetic and attentive, the overall culinary experience was very disappointing. It started when I was informed that the only Malbec on the menu was not available. Our server then regrettably informed us that they were out of lemon sole which was what I was planning to order as my entrée. Our server then raved about the paella and convinced me that it would be an excellent choice. I started with a "young green salad" which was just average. But my biggest disappointment occurred when the paella arrived. First, it was served in a round and high soup type bowl which made it very difficult to enjoy. As I dug through the rice I noticed that this was a paella that was plentiful in the inexpensive ingredients (rice, Chirico and mussels, but very skimpy when it came to clams, shrimp and chicken). There was so much Chirico in the dish that I had to take out chunks and chunks of it to avoid getting cardiac arrest on the spot. The overall flavor was fair, but it was one of the worst paella I have ever had I terms of the overall composition. My wife had the pork tenderloin dish which was a very small portion and just so-so. My daughter did enjoy the large order of mussels done Pollet style with pomme frites. However, there are too many good restaurants in Providence, so I won't be rushing back to Red Stripe anytime soon.

Reviewed 30 December 2017

We ate here at the last minute when terrible traffic prevented us from making our reservation at our favorite place (Andino's). Parking is relatively easy and the large restaurant is pleasant --- although lighting could be a bit dimmer. Door staff is very pleasant and our accommodating waiter was friendly and efficient. Wine selection is decent and reasonably priced. Drink was okay --- the Cosmo was syrupy sweet - not fresh. Buffalo cauliflower was very good and hearty -- more than enough for three people. Onion soup was very good, crab cakes not great -- I would not recommend. Burger was very good. Fish and chips not great --- an enormous piece of tasteless fish. Presentation was nice and nice touches like automatically bringing malt vinegar.