“Fun and challenging ”

Escape Rhode Island
Ranked #2 of 11 Fun & Games in Providence
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Escape the room! Your team will have 60 minutes to escape a scenario by solving a series of puzzles that will challenge your mind and confound your senses.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities, Lockers / storage, Stairs / lift
Reviewed 5 June 2017 via mobile

I've never done an escape room before so I wasn't sure what to expect, but this turned out to be a great time. My group did the Mausoleum, which was based around the death of local horror writer HP Lovecraft's death, and the room's design was appropriately morbid.

The puzzles were challenging. The Mausoleum begins "outside" and there is a padlock to the Mausoleum. It took our group a while to get into the main room. I wasn't sure what to expect going in and thought that I would be able to notice everything in the relatively small room that was relevant, but a lot of the puzzles require you to really think outside the box.

There is a monitor that displays the countdown (you have an hour) and also provides you with hints if you need them. The hints were successful in helping us move along when we got stuck. The employee running the room also came in a couple of times to guide us when we were on the complete wrong track. Although receiving help was frustrating at times, it was definitely necessary. A couple of puzzles had solutions that never would have occurred to me had we not been given a hint.

I would highly recommend Escape Rhode Island to anybody looking to do an escape room. Although I can't compare it to other venues in the area (yet), it was definitely a positive first experience, even though my group actually failed to escape. The puzzles were clever, our guide clearly enjoyed his job, and it was a nice departure from a typical night of movies or bowling.

The spots on the weekend fill up quickly and do have to be booked in advance. Three of the four rooms are for a max of six people; a fourth room allows ten. I went with a group of five which was fine, although I think a group of three or four would have been more effective. However, more than one group can book the same time slot so long as it does not exceed the maximum capacity, so it's probably better to go with a group of five or six friends than risk getting paired with strangers you might not be compatible with.

Overall, Escape Rhode Island was a unique and fun experience. I will definitely be back to try out the other rooms, hopefully with more success.

Reviewed 8 May 2017 via mobile

Being a group of Horror fans, 4 of us decided to take on the Mausoleum. We were grouped with another couple who were first timers. I have done a fair share of Escape rooms and one of my friends had done one. The intro was handled by this nerdy guy (I say that compassionately...as I'm a bit on the nerd spectrum.) Our guide really got into the intro stuff (rules and suggestions) although the jokes and stories weren't very funny he poured himself into it...and that made him credible and worth listening to.
We were sent to our destination where the puzzles and problems were immediate and difficult...although solvable.
Every person in the group contributed (which I find is rather important) and we walked away with a success with literally just over 3 minutes to go.
There are hints that are given on your timer screen if needed. Which in our case were necessary as some of the problems were super cryptic!
The Mausoleum was not easy and I wouldn't recommend it if you've never done an Escape Room before...unless you are a group of really good problem solvers who work well together. I was sweating by the time we finished!
Overall, our group had a great experience and look forward to going back to tackle the other 3 scenarios.
Props to Escape Rhode Island for such a unique experience from my other Escape Rooms.

Reviewed 16 March 2017

Played Ex Machina. Not often do I have that much fun failing at something! Will definitely be back! More games to try and I have other friends interested in trying it out. Highly recommend.

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 15 March 2017 via mobile

My husband and I and two other couples went to The Escape Room RI for the first time Saturday night. We encourage you to book a Saturday night in advance to get a good time slot before a nice dinner out. We had a great time! The puzzles were challenging enough to keep us entertained and moving fast! The hour goes by so fast but we made it out with 20 minutes left. We loved it so much we can't wait to go again. Great night out!

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 15 March 2017

I've done a few escapes, and this was my first time with Escape Rhode Island. They met my expectations for a challenging but winnable puzzle. I was also pleased that the puzzle had a followable plot, though I felt like I missed something after finishing "Ex Machina."
Additionally, my original date was canceled due to snow, but Ryan Pease, the general manager at the time, let me reschedule for a later date.
If money were irrelevant and I were to pick another place to play an escape game, it would be with Escape Rhode Island