“Quaint but needs a bit of Modern Spice!”

Ye Olde Pepper Companie
Ranked #4 of 45 Shopping in Salem
Reviewed 29 October 2017

I'm glad we got in and had a taste while we could, because due to the onslaught of visitors for the crazy Halloween Weekend, the lines to get in this little place was wrapped around the building about 30 minutes later. As it was, it was shoulder to shoulder inside when we got there. I would have made a larger purchase if this cool old shop had adopted the spiciness of today's world. I was looking for some sort of hot pepper and dark chocolate combination, which they didn't have. Perhaps my request will prompt them to explore that possibility in the future?

Reviewed 29 October 2017 via mobile

The oldest candy shop in America sure is one of the best! It will leave you wanting more! They are known for certain candies, but all the candy my husband and I had was delicious! A must try! Conveniently located near the House of the Seven Gables!

Reviewed 16 October 2017

The history behind the founding of this candy shop, which involves a shipwreck, is very interesting. My travel. book said it was a must stop, so we decided to go in before visiting The House of The Seven Gables (across the street). It is a little bit pricy but that's usually to be expected for shops next to tourist attractions. The candy was delicious and much needed after a long day of walking.

Reviewed 16 October 2017

Candy? Fudge? Yes please! This little house like shop is crammed full of every sweet. They have hard candy, unique old-fashioned candy, chocolates, fudge, lollipops and more. I chose one of their packaged bags of a chocolate lobster and rocks for my nieces and nephews. Then I waited in a long line for fudge. FUUUDDDGEEE!!! The prices were very reasonable and the staff was great. They show you a block and position the knife and ask if you want this much or half that or less. I got about 1/8 pound each of chocolate and fluffanutter. As much of a chocaholic as I am, I think the fluffanutter edged out the chocolate as my favorite.

My mom got some real old-fashioned sweets. They sounded like something from Harry Potter. I liked the peppermint kisses. They are softer than a candy cane and more minty.

My only complaint is that they didn't really have any dark chocolate for the non-sugary chocolate lover in my life.

Reviewed 15 October 2017

Stopped in for a look and the sample of the original lemon candy was addictive. We also bought some chocolate toffee candy.