“Lots of choices!”

Ye Olde Pepper Companie
Ranked #4 of 46 Shopping in Salem
Reviewed 14 November 2017

We were here later in the day and it was crowded but apparently not as crowded as others experienced. It was a little hard to see all the choices and make decisions due to the number of people in the shop. We chose a bag of hard covered chocolate shells and some fudge. I selected three types of fudge and was pretty sure the girl gave me all three but when we got home I only had two types. The candy was good but very pricey, especially the bag of shells. The girl that waited on us looked annoyed as I made my selections but with people standing in front of me it wasn't easy to see the options.

Reviewed 30 October 2017

because that is hardly ever a historic term, but one made up for tourists later, but it's still a quaint place, well-located and really nice, especially for the Salem context. Burt we do consume differently than before, which is why even 100-year old cookbooks need to be adapted today, and candy made from pure sugar simply is bad for us and tastes - well, just sweet. Not all dietary changes are purely fashion- and paranoia-based the way gluten, cholesterol and stuff are. I do however like that they are not "muddern" as some here want them to be (who needs chili in everything), but I admit I am conflicted. Yes they have pralinées, but this is not why one comes here. So I got some bizarrely priced box of peanut brittle ($10) as a present and went happily my way. - This is not a very helpful review, is it? :P

Reviewed 30 October 2017

Great selection of chocolate and candy, decently friendly staff (for Massachusetts), and really cool to see the candy makers hard at work over boiling vats of sugary goodness.

1  Thank WorldTripper365
Reviewed 29 October 2017

I'm glad we got in and had a taste while we could, because due to the onslaught of visitors for the crazy Halloween Weekend, the lines to get in this little place was wrapped around the building about 30 minutes later. As it was, it was shoulder to shoulder inside when we got there. I would have made a larger purchase if this cool old shop had adopted the spiciness of today's world. I was looking for some sort of hot pepper and dark chocolate combination, which they didn't have. Perhaps my request will prompt them to explore that possibility in the future?

Reviewed 29 October 2017 via mobile

The oldest candy shop in America sure is one of the best! It will leave you wanting more! They are known for certain candies, but all the candy my husband and I had was delicious! A must try! Conveniently located near the House of the Seven Gables!