This hotel is clean, the location is fine and the people are ok. Here's why I don't think it deserves a special rating:
1) The air conditioner in our room (429) was LOUD! and it didn't cool the room very well. We had to leave it on high fan full cool to be able to get the room cool enough (in October) cool enough to sleep in. I think this is a common issue in the hotel as our friends in the room below us had the same complaint. Barely acceptable for a cheap hotel but for a premium hotel this was completely unacceptable.
2) The "Suites" are not suites in my view. They are slightly (only slightly) larger than normal hotel rooms with a fridge and Keurig. One TV, 1 bed, 1 desk, 1 chair. That's fine for a basic hotel room but it's not a suite.
3) It's nothing special from the window views or the lobby or the pool etc. For a place with "Waterfront" in its name I would have expected to see water from somewhere, right? I guess that's because it's not realy on the water. It's behind a bunch of condos with a view of the back of some of them and a parking lot/garage on the other side.
4) The coffee selection is a keurig which worked fine. I unfortunately relied on another review that said that there was a decent selection of coffees to choose from. There are 2 breakfast blend regular coffees, a decaf and a tea. Perhaps they changed since that review, but if you decide to stay here I would recommend bringing your own K-cups, half and half and sweeteners if you use them.
5) The water pressure is the shower is workable but not very strong. It's a disappointing shower experience but it will work.
On the positive side, it was very clean and would probably have been quiet if the A/C didn't roar and clatter all night long. The selection of soaps, etc. was very nice, towels and linens were fine. I wouldn't return, though. I'll be beack to Salem often but plan to try some of the other places instead.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Rising six stories, the Salem Waterfront Hotel & Suites on Pickering Wharf Marina blends a contemporary outlook with an appreciation for the area's proud past. It is Salem's newest boutique hotel with a warm nautical décor. The 86 rooms and suites have handsome wood furnishings, fabrics in soothing shades and windows that let in lots of light. Look for flat-panel TVs with cable channels, pillowtop beds and high-end Keurig coffeemakers. There are complimentary wired and wireless internet connections available throughout the property, and loaner iPads are available in the lobby. Local calls are free, as are morning newspapers in lobby. It is the only hotel downtown Salem with a heated indoor pool, and the fitness room is packed with cardio and strength-training equipment. Specializing in locally caught seafood, the on-site restaurant, The Regatta Pub, serves breakfast, lunch and dinner for a "Cool and Casual Fare with Flair". In warmer weather, the tables spill out onto the patio and on cooler nights we have roaring firepits for guests to relax and enjoy a beverage or meal next to. Laundry service is a plus and Parking is always free. Our doormen will be most happy to assist with luggage assistance. LOCATION: With more than 300 years of history just outside the front door, the Salem Waterfront Hotel is a great base for exploring. The hotel sits at Pickering Wharf, close to lots of shopping and dining opportunities. Within walking distance are attractions like the Peabody Essex Museum and the historic Phillips House. Boston Logan International Airport is 15 miles southwest and Boston is 20 miles. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com and Hotels.com so you can book your Salem Waterfront Hotel & Suites reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Salem Waterfront Hotel And Marina
- Salem Waterfront Hotel