“New location, same great seafood”

Bob's Famous Fried Clams
Ranked #119 of 237 Restaurants in Salem
Reviewed 7 September 2016

Back in the day, Bob's "clam box" was a North Shore tradition. The fried clams (and shrimp, and haddock) were so good and so popular that the parking lot was always jammed at peak times and the few tables full. Eventually, Bob's sold that property (it's now a Dunkin), but has moved across Highland Avenue into a strip mall. The good news is that the quality of the seafood has not changed -- and there are even a couple more tables and a nicer atmosphere so that if you don't want to do take-out, you can enjoy delicious, affordable dishes right out of the kitchen. Deservedly "famous."

Reviewed 23 May 2016

I love lobster! Had 3 lobster rolls in the last 3 weeks at different restaurants- 2 of which were a big dissappointment, but the one I got at Bob's was the best I have had lately! Lots of lobster with a little mayo and no lettuce to 'fill' the grilled roll. Price was reasonable ($20.00) -market value at that time. It includes 2 sides piled high. This is just a small local place- order at the counter and they bring to your table. I have also had fried clams and fried haddock here. Nothing fancy just great food!

Reviewed 22 May 2015

I recently had a great dining experience at Bob's Fried Clams. I live within walking distance to Bob's, but had not been there since the new owners took over and relocated the restaurant. I was initially impressed with the cleanliness of the place and then by the friendly waitstaff. Little did I know the best was yet to be ... the food itself! I ordered the Shrimp Basket and for $7.95 I got a basket with French Fries (many sides to choose from!) and 5 good sized fried shrimp. If I had wanted more, I would have ordered the Shrimp Plate for $14.25. The basket was plenty big for me. I did also order an additional side of cole slaw as I had heard good things about it. It did not disappoint! At Bob's, you order and pay at the counter and then they bring the food to you when it is ready. We were talking with one of the girls who works there, and she said the current owner is in the process of changing the name from Bob's Famous Fried Clams to Bob's (Something Else, but I forget) ... but I know why he is doing that. He wants people to know that they serve more than just fried food ... they've received rave reviews on their burgers, surf n turf, boneless chicken plate, etc. There is something for everyone at Bob's!

Reviewed 1 May 2015

This was my first time here. Located in a small non-descript shopping center it does not have what many call "curb appeal." But I was hungry and went in for a sandwich. I was so impressed by the variety and reasonable prices. I could hardly believe it! The food is all fresh and everything is made to order. I had a haddock sandwich with lettuce, tomato and cheese for $7.30 plus tax. Plus they will prepare it anyway you want, it does not have to be fried. You order at the counter and the food is brought to your table. I will definitely return.

1  Thank lash23_13
Reviewed 4 April 2015 via mobile

Our first impression was "what a bright, clean and cheerful looking restaurant". Hubby had some doubts as it was empty at 8pm on a Friday night but after we ordered at the counter more people came in. The food is brought to your table. We had the baked scallop dinner which comes with 2 sides and the fried whole clam basket which comes with 1 side. We chose a salad and coleslaw with the former. The Italian dressing we chose was extremely sour whilst the coleslaw was a tad sweet so we ended up mixing both of them together which made it perfect . The scallops were big, juicy, sweet and cooked to perfection and the claims were big , fresh and fried in batter to just the right golden shade. Highly recommended and we'll definitely be back to try the other items on the menu.