“A lot of information about the Alamo!”

Battle For Texas: The Experience
San Antonio Explorer Pass
Ranked #30 of 267 things to do in San Antonio
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Part Museum. Part Adventure. See the story of the Alamo brought to life all around you like never before! "The Experience" is a fully immersive museum adventure showcasing the most comprehensive collection of Alamo artifacts ever to be displayed under one roof. Visitors will feel the battle brought to life through sights, sounds, and even smells as they embark on an emotional journey through the 13 fateful days that gave birth to the state of Texas. A 22,000 sq ft attraction with 11-unique and thematic galleries -- each telling a new chapter of the story while weaving the amazing artifact collection throughout. Meet Davey Crockett, Jim Bowie, Sam Houston and other heroes along the way and even even step into Mexican General Santa Anna's tent. Enter the Alamo walls, cross the line in the sand, and make your way through "The Gauntlet" as the battle takes shape around you. The attraction is a treat for Alamo enthusiasts while being designed to be enjoyed by the whole family and includes interactive elements and a finale video celebrating Texas pride that is not to be missed!
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Activities for older children, Stairs / lift, Activities for young children, Baby buggy parking, Wheelchair access
Reviewed 24 September 2017

On a recommendation, we went here first before walking over to the Alamo. There is a lot of information presented there and it was very nice, however you have to read everything! We got tired of trying to read our way through it. I think a short movie would have greatly improved our experience.

Reviewed 21 September 2017

Very nice tour of the Alamo and how the Battle for Texas took place. On certain tours they have real reenactments so you may want to inquire when they are. Our tour did not have a reenactment; however, half way through the tour we met a man in costume who walked us the rest of the way and told us much history on the battle. Ended at a really nice gift shop. Admission was a little expensive ( I think it was about $40 for me and my husband) but we enjoyed it.

Reviewed 19 September 2017

You should see this to better experience the Alamo. Tucked away in the basement of the Shops at RiverCenter on the Alamo Square, it is an air conditioned museum of over 250 artifacts from the battle and a realistic re-enactment of the final morning that you walk through. It is $20 with a $17.50 seniors, $14.50 children 6-12. Artifacts from the 13-day siege and battle include Santa Anna’s uniform plus those of his men, cannon balls found during construction, and many weapons. There is very good diagramming and labeling of the entire Alamo Mission, not just the actual church and long house that you can see across the square at the Alamo. There are reproductions of Travis writing his famous letter, Bowie in his sickroom, and the Come and Take It cannon. Near the end, you go through a re-creation of the scene, as one of the soldiers running through the long house. Lights are dimmed, and you see light flashes of guns blaring and the Mexican soldiers running outside the windows. (There is an exit before this for those too young or who want to opt out.) At the very end is an EXTREMELY patriotic display designed to bring tears of patriotic pride to Texans, another generation of brave citizens to make Texas great. I’m from Ohio, and I was almost choking up.

Reviewed 19 September 2017

This was a small museum with some audio of some of the historical facts of the San Antonio area. It was not a good value. You could learn more and see more for free at the Alamo. Don't bother.

Reviewed 12 September 2017

Came here purely because of reviews that turned out to be right on the money. (Speaking of money, you can get a $3 discount per person by stopping at the table before you head down to the exhibit that has newspapers on it that contain these coupons!). Not sure why this is tucked away in a basement. I learned so much about the formation of Texas and the Alamo which made seeing it so much more meaningful. Also there was no jostle of many people ( as at the Alamo) so I really could concentrate.

Getting the audio guide for an extra $5 is a MUST in my opinion. There is so much more info on these and it really helped to keep me focused. There is a somewhat scary live reenactment of the battle at the end which kept the group of cub scouts we were with enthralled.

Only downside was the volume of the back ground music. So loud in some spots I had to turn up the volume of my headphones to drown it out. Overall really gave me a good sense of Texan pride.

1  Thank sazoram