“Home2 is OK, not good”

Home2 Suites by Hilton San Antonio Downtown - Riverwalk
Ranked #28 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed 11 July 2012

Overall, the hotel is OK, but is not good. Home2 Suites is NOT worth the cost compared to nearby locations. I have stayed at other hotels in San Antonio near the river walk for less money and felt I got a much better experience. Unfortunately, my hotel stay had multiple issues for a short trip where I spent little time in the room. My A/C was broken and I discovered I did not have soap and shampoo in my bathroom the morning as I was getting ready to go to work. Seemingly “minor” inconveniences, but still these things should be addressed before I am booked into the room, and the hotel should be better prepared. This lack of attention to the basics is why I do not recommend this location.

If there is a problem I ALWAYS let the hotel know, and give them the opportunity to make things right. During my stay, unfortunately, I had to let the hotel make things right on more than one occasion. I understand that not everything can be anticipated, but honestly, as a business traveler, all I want when I get back to my room after working all day is a comfortable quiet location, internet access, and a place I can rest and not be bothered. The Home2 Suites in San Antonio failed in this simple task and ultimately forces me to give them a low rating.

Pros:
1) Location is downtown, near both the river walk and the Alamo.
2) Free breakfast. Although there is no organized way to collect the food, and therefore if there are more than 3 people trying to get food at the same time it turns the breakfast area a bit chaotic. If you are in hurry forget about getting in and out quickly in this disorganized mess.
3) Fitness area and tiny pool
4) Large clean room with kitchen, fold out couch and king size bed
5) Friendly staff who try to help. The front desk staff is very good about saying hello, and trying listen to guests.

Cons:
1) The A/C is loud! The first night I stayed in my room, I thought the A/C was loud, but would kick off once it cooled my room down over night. Come 2:30AM, my A/C was still blowing like a freight train, but my room had not cooled off. Unfortunately, between the hot room and the loud A/C I did not sleep the first night at the hotel. I called the next morning regarding my broken A/C and they promptly sent a repair man as I was leaving for the day to go to work. However, upon returning to my room that evening the repairman left his ladder and tools in my room and even though I asked the front desk to remove the items when I returned later that night after dinner nothing was done. At 10:15pm with the Ladder and tools still untouched, I contacted the front desk to inform them I am leaving their items in the hallway. 5 minutes later maintenance picked up the tools from the hall. (Photo attached of ladder and tools at 5:30pm and 10:15pm).
2) Soap and Shampoo were both empty in my shower. Home2 Suites does not provide little bottles of soap, shampoo, and conditioner. Instead, they have two large dispensers on the wall of the shower: soap and shampoo (no conditioner). I went to take a shower in the morning right before I was leaving for work and discovered once in the shower I did not have any soap or shampoo. Fortunately, I happened to have some soap/shampoo with me in my bag. After showering, I called the front desk to let them know about the shampoo and soap missing from my room. A maintenance worker promptly came to my room with a giant bottle to refill both dispensers from the one bottle (there is no difference between the soap and shampoo in the dispensers).
3) Wi-Fi is very slow.
4) TV was OK, but there was not TV channel guide in the room. I always use the channel guide to find the channels I typically watch. No HBO at this hotel.
5) Valet is $23 per day. This is a little expensive for downtown San Antonio. I know other hotels charge similar amounts, but I hate having to pay to park overnight.
6) Breakfast food was not varied and it was the same frozen egg and cheese on bread base each morning.

I wish the I could give a better rating, but too many problems here that need to be addressed. The details are overlooked and it hurts this location. If I hadn't had so many mess-ups and did not have to contact the front desk so many times, this place would have received a higher rating. I will not stay here on my next trip to San Antonio. I had high hopes for the Home2, but you lost me. I have included photos of the soap dispensers and the ladder and tools left in my room.

Room Tip: I always give the same tip: Try and get a room on a high floor away from the elevator at any hotel...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank GlennF76
Luis R M, General Manager at Home2 Suites by Hilton San Antonio Downtown - Riverwalk, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2012

I would like to thank you for your recent comments regarding your stay with us at the Home2 Suites San Antonio. Our goal is to improve service levels and your feedback is invaluable. It is feedback such as yours that allows us to correct any service deficiencies we may have. In this instance we lacked attention to details and I would like to apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you. I sincerely hope that we get the opportunity to show you our corrective actions if you choose to stay at our hotel again. I sincerely hope you have not lost faith in the high level of standards of Hilton hotels.

There are newer reviews for Home2 Suites by Hilton San Antonio Downtown - Riverwalk

Reviewed 10 July 2012

My niece and I stayed here for one night as we explored a bit of San Antonio. The room was fantastic! Very spacious and with comfortable beds. We were able to walk everywhere we needed, without it being too much of a stretch. (I believe Market Square was the farthest walk for us, at about 15 minutes.) We visited the Alamo, Rivercenter mall and the Riverwalk. There was also a Walgreen's across the street from the hotel, which we needed a couple of times. Very convenient!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 July 2012

We took or two kids for a quick weekend getaway to San Antonio. This hotel was recommended to me by a friend. I have stayed at many Hiltons across the US and some of their Homewood suites. The Home2 Suites is about on par with the Homewood. Good size room, clean and somewhat affordable. However, if you are used to Hilton's across the US don't be surprised to find the amenities much lower than other their premium hotels. The breakfast buffet was very poor with heat n serve open faced egg sandwich and a small supply of breads and cereal. Since the kids went with us any pool becomes a center point for them. The pool here is a small lap pool and both times we went, there were no towels to be found other than the dirty ones in the hamper and all over the chairs. Needs to be paid more attention to. One other item of concern was the hot water, or lack of and the relatively noisy AC unit in our room. The staff is courteous and attentive when you need something and Valet was great. I doubt I will stay there again, but I have definitely stay in better and in worse.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank CvarlJen
Reviewed 4 July 2012

First visit to San Antonio for my friend and I. The hotel was centrally located and easy walk to the Alamo and to River Walk. We enjoyed the breakfast and the room was very spacious. A special shout out to Eric and Patrick Pennington who went above and beyond to answer any questions we had and helped us out with some billing problems we encountered. Should our travels take us back to San Antonio, we most definitely will be staying here again.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends

Thank you for recognizing Eric and Patrick as two of our shining stars. It is positive responses such as yours that motiviates them to continue to be the best. Thank you!

Reviewed 30 June 2012 via mobile

This was our first time stating in a Home 2 Suites. Nice location just 2 blocks from the river walk. Hotel is very green - bamboo furniture, showers have soap dispensers, etc. Hilton honors members get water & a free snack at check-in. We were able to get a nicely discounted government rate as well. Only thing we didn't like was the breakfast ends at 0900 on the weekends, which is not conducive to a late evening out enjoying the river walk. We ended up missing it & having to go out. Didn't bring a pet, or see or hear any, but pets up to 30lbs are allowed so we may bring our dog next time.

• Stayed: June 2012