“Evening out”
Review of La Fonda on Main

La Fonda on Main
Reserve with OpenTable
La Fonda on Main is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #33 of 4,987 Restaurants in San Antonio
Price range: US$12 - US$30
Cuisines: Southwestern, Mexican, Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly, Business meetings
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighbourhood: Midtown
Cross street: Woodlawn
Description: Located just a few minutes from downtown in architecturally rich Monte Vista, La Fonda on Main is the oldest Mexican food restaurant in San Antonio. La Fonda serves both the best of Tex-Mex cuisine as well as authentic dishes of interior Mexico in a fun and casual setting with beautiful patio dining. Open daily serving lunch and dinner as well as a memorable Sunday brunch menu, we offer a full bar with a wide variety of liquor, beer and wine. Our famous margaritas are made with hand-squeezed limes and your choice of a large selection of tequilas.
Reviewed 17 February 2018 via mobile

The food was delicious, we had mole enchiladas, skirt steak, and thoroughly enjoyed all dishes. The margaritas, salsa, and appetizers were great. Our waitstaff, Alexandria, was a delight. Friendly, prompt and explained the dishes in detail. All in all, an outstanding evening.

Reviewed 8 February 2018 via mobile

Went with friends who live in San Antonio on their recommendation when I asked to eat Tex-Mex while in town. This place is Mexican food, not Tex-Mex. That’s okay, it was still very good. Beautiful decor all around and big patio out back, although too cold and drizzly to sit out there.

We shared the special appetizer, a patty of corn meal, beans, etc., served with a special sauce, half bean based and half guacamole. Delicious and innovative.

I had the chicken mole. Very good. I love mole, have had many types having lived 5 years in Austin. This was very good, but didn’t have the richness and complexity of others I’ve tasted.

They gave us some churros for dessert. My friends raved, but to me they were just fried, sugary, cinnamon snacks.

I’d recommend this place if you want a higher end Mexican food restaurant.

1  Thank famtravlesny
Reviewed 7 February 2018 via mobile

First impression was good! Cute place! Service was good and my husbands steak stuffed poblano pepper with pecans was unusual and tasty but my New #2... was just very ordinary. Menu said it was a chicken chalupa with avocado and black beans.. I found maybe 3 pieces of chicken, lots of lettuce and some sliced avocado on a dry tostada with some melted cheese. Had very little flavor and I was still hungry when finished. I believe my dish was $17. The margarita was good but small for the $9 price!
Will not return! Very much overpriced and not impressed with the food! Very disappointing. Never mind paying for a good meal but this was not!!

2  Thank Sudie T
Reviewed 5 February 2018 via mobile

Trip advisor paid off on this great spot. We went for Sunday brunch and had a great time at this not so touristy Mexican fare restaurant. It has been there since the ‘30’s! That is a recommendation in itself. Located away from the river walk hubbub, La Fonda serves delicious Mexican fare. I had the special with a variety of dishes. The hot tamale is the best I’ve ever had at a Mexican place. Great service with a beautiful decor makes this a special place to visit. Prices are more than fair

Reviewed 25 January 2018 via mobile

We came here for its great reviews but the food is only ok, not great at all
First off all, we don’t feel welcome when we walked in, this is very rare and I don’t appreciate it at all
After we settled in, the server is very attentive and helpful
When it comes to food, only ok

Been to La Fonda on Main? Share your experiences!